Win2000 takes 15 minutes to boot

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a fairly new install of win2000. I was completing the setup by
installing an adaptec AHA2940UW controller and 5 external drives after
installing the motherboard drivers, win2000 service packs and updates, and
the AVG antivirus. That install worked fine, but during a reboot, I
accidentally turned off the PC when the white windows startup bar was about
half done. After that, windows 2000 wouldn't startup. I removed the
Adaptec card and that didn't help. I finally got it to boot from the
Win2000 CD and ran a repair. It then finished booting into windows2000
with no errors. But, after a normal shutdown, it took 15 minutes to begin
starting up. After the motherboard BIOS finished, it stayed a blank screen
for 15 minutes, then the white startup bar came up and startup finished at
the normal speed. What could be the problem, and how could I track the
startup process to see what is hanging up for so long? Is there a repair
for the startup loader portion of Win2000, i.e. ntldr?

Thanks
Tom

Tom

I would suspect that ntdetect.com is having problems detecting your
hardware, and that it is this that is delaying your boot. You could use
ntdetect.chk to better identify the problem, see this MS Knowledge Base
article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320040

Best regards

Bjorn