Backup My Documents

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
April 22, 2004 1:21:02 PM

is there a way to automate the backup of users my documents folders? I know you can use a group policy to redirect the folder but I have a lot of users that use laptops and i need to ensure they are backing up the files in case their equipment gets damaged or stolen. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks,
Thomas

More about : backup documents

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 5:31:19 PM

Personally, for all my laptop users, I use SecondCopy - www.centered.com -
better in my view than offline files. That way you always have at least some
copy of their local data on the server (I sync the local data folder, which
I set up as c:\data or something - better than the profile path in case the
profile gets hosed - to the user's home directory on the server. Do they
have any remote access to your network when out of the office?

Thomas wrote:
> is there a way to automate the backup of users my documents folders?
> I know you can use a group policy to redirect the folder but I have a
> lot of users that use laptops and i need to ensure they are backing
> up the files in case their equipment gets damaged or stolen. If
> anyone has any ideas please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas
April 22, 2004 5:31:20 PM

Yes they have access to terminal server.....

Can this software work remotely?
April 22, 2004 6:12:36 PM

The best way to backup my document is to use windows share file chaching.
Clients XP and windows 2003 server
on the w2k3 set a home folder share.
Redirect my documents to the home folder username.
Allow file caching of the home folder
Install Previous Version Software on the XP client, "twclient32.msi".
Set up Shadow copy
Backup the w2k3 server.

Amil Fortuna
M.S.C.S., MCP
This is AS is no liability is inplied

"Thomas" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> is there a way to automate the backup of users my documents folders? I
know you can use a group policy to redirect the folder but I have a lot of
users that use laptops and i need to ensure they are backing up the files in
case their equipment gets damaged or stolen. If anyone has any ideas please
let me know.

> Thanks,
> Thomas
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 1:26:08 PM

TS won't do it - they'd need access to the file system. VPN an option?

!