New Computer First Time Builder

cakepk

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
First time builder looking to put together a decent gaming computer for under $2000 US. Any help, comments, suggestions would be appreciated. This is what I came up with. (Prices were Zipzoomfly except for case from Newegg)

Processor - Intel C2D E6600 (Approx $315)

Motherboard - Asus P5N-E SLI nForce 650i ($136)
Would like to do some moderate overclocking. Also would like sli capability in the future.

PSU - Thermaltake W0117RU Toughpower 750w ($140 after rebate)
Seemed like it would provide enough power and decent price

Case - Lian LI PC-V1200Bplus II ($250)
It is somewhat pricey but I liked the way it looked and based on reviews seemed to be an excellent case.

Video Card - XFX 8800 GTS 320mb ($300)
This seemed like a reasonable way to go. Use this one for a bit and upgrade in future.

Memory - Corsair 2GB XMS2-6400 DDR2-800 ($160 after rebate)
Might be more than I need but looked to be good price after rebate.

Hard Drive - Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 rpm ($153)
Not sure I really need the 10k speed, but probably wont need any more space.

Heatsink - Zalman CNPS9700 ($65)

frenchbread

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Whats the speed of your processor?

It would be nice if you included links with your products, so I can see if your case has fans etc, because your going to want case fans, and your really going to want them if you plan to do any over clocking!

IMO, that hard drive is a tad small especially if your planning on putting music on your computer, but I"m sure you could always add a second one [which would be good, one to run your OS one for games]. I personally think western digital is a cheaply made brand [SEAGATE is the way to go IMO], but you'll be ok as long as that hard drive is SATA, if it's not don't buy it. SATA is much faster than IDE!!!!

As far as PS's go, all I can say is you get what you pay for, I know its a good price but... I think you know where I'm going with this.

As far as that video card goes good pick [nice getting XFX] and if you should find it inadequate instead of upgrading it, just get a second and do your SLI thing, that should kick a lot of but for a while.

And I don't think you have too much memory, I have two gigs, and if I could get my money back to go lower, I wouldn't do it.

Good Luck!