C2D E4300 Temps

vipaldo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Hi,

I recently bought and installed a new system made up of the E4300 and the Gigabyte DS3 mobo.

After overclocking to 3ghz with the vcore set at 1.425 I noticed the temps during prime were around 58C in core temp and 72C in TAT. Now I have read a few forums threads on here and other sites (Inc the Core 2 Duo temp thread on here) about this and no one can give a clear answer to which program is reading the temps correctly, Some trust TAT and some trust coretemp, and as you can see the difference between the two is massive.

Does anyone have any clear idea on which program is correct?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
...3ghz with the vcore set at 1.425 I noticed the temps during prime were around 58C in core temp and 72C in TAT. Now I have read a few forums threads on here and other sites (Inc the Core 2 Duo temp thread on here) about this and no one can give a clear answer to which program is reading the temps correctly, Some trust TAT and some trust coretemp, and as you can see the difference between the two is massive.

Does anyone have any clear idea on which program is correct?

Vipaldo, please re-read the Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide with particular emphasis on the "Parameters" and "Troubleshooting" sections, which are new edits.

Here's a clear answer to your question. With the E4300 and a 965 chipset, you've got a formula for compound offsets. Core Temp is obviously reporting values offset by -15c, so if you simply add 15c to Core Temp, you still have accurate values, which typically are ~ 2c higher than TAT.

waleedhk, while a poll may be interesting in terms of how C2D temperatures are perceived by potentially uninformed respondents, the community is already so confused by hardware deficiencies, firmware conflicts and software inaccuracies, not to mention CPU temperature alphabet soup, it may only serve to complicate matters further.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

vipaldo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
When looking at the core 2 temp guide it does say that the 965 chipset could be off by 15C but it also says to disreguard the TAT reading as with a E4300 it is 15C higher than it should be. Thus leaving the same question which program is reading the temp correctly.

"
B) E4300 CPU’s may report TAT temperatures offset by +15c and should be disregarded.

(C) 965 chipsets may report transposed Tcase and Tjunction temperatures with offsets of 15c.
"

CompuTronix

Intel Master
...58C in core temp and 72C in TAT.

In your instance, Core Temp is offset by -15c. If you add 15c to Core temp, it meets the parameters.

Since Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool (TAT) is a Notebook tool, and desktop C2D's have an integrated heat spreader, the software tool "Core Temp" compensates ~ 2c higher, ...

Core Temp = 73c (58c + 15c)
TAT = 72c

The parameters are met.

The typical ~ 15c difference between the single Tcase temp, and the dual Tjunction temps can be erroneous due to calibration inaccuracies in chipsets, BIOS releases, driver versions, and motherboard utilities.

(D) Tjunction should be ~ 15c higher than Tcase.

Although you haven't provided complete information, I'm certain that your Tcase temp is ~ 55c, so again, the parameters are met.

E4300 CPU’s may report TAT temperatures offset by +15c and should be disregarded.

This means, for example, that if Core Temp were to report 70c, then it would make no sense if TAT reported 85c.

Hope this helps.

Comp 8)