Windows Vista and Hardrive problems

russianlion

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Here is the my situation:

Built a relatively high end PC(1st time) in December and it has been working great.

Originally had XP Media Center as OS but installed Vista Premium 2 days ago.

Now I am getting Hard disk failure warnings after windows starts. I ran check disk before a startup and no problems were detected. However, Im still getting messages to back everything up because my drive is going to fail.

For what its worth, the drive was a brand new seagate 7200 and had no problems before Vista was installed.

Any suggestions?

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
I've been geeting the same errors on a comp but it has an old drive and took several times to install vista so I just assumed it is about to fail and vista can tell vs xp that cannot. I'd just return the drive in your case (since it's new) since storing info on a drive that is issuing failure warnings is a bad idea. For peace of mind, get a new drive.

Jo

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Here is the my situation:

Built a relatively high end PC(1st time) in December and it has been working great.

Originally had XP Media Center as OS but installed Vista Premium 2 days ago.

Now I am getting Hard disk failure warnings after windows starts. I ran check disk before a startup and no problems were detected. However, Im still getting messages to back everything up because my drive is going to fail.

For what its worth, the drive was a brand new seagate 7200 and had no problems before Vista was installed.

Any suggestions?

Run SeaTools for DOS
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Did you install Vista over XP or did you do a format first? If Seatools shows no drive errors and you installed over XP then reinstall vista with a format.