Shuttle Zen XPC (ST62K) and Windows 2003?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I'm trying to setup a miniscule server for 2 in a home closet, and the
180Watt, quiet, Shuttle Zen is looking very attractive. But can the Windows
2000 ATI 9100 IGP-based Shuttle motherboard drivers on the Shuttle site (for
lan, video, audio, usb 2.0, etc.) actually work with Windows 2003?

Has anyone tried either a clean install of Windows 2003 and loaded these
drivers, or a Windows 2000 install and an upgrade to 2003? I think I can
live without the audio, but all else seems fairly essential for our work.

Thanks in advance for any experience shared. BTW: I have the same questions
outstanding to the Shuttle US sales team, shuttle and homebuilt pc
newsgroups, and will post any updates.

~MLJ

dl

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I assume you mean WinXP, there is no win2003
It would seem extremely unlikely winxp wasnt supported.
Allways better to clean install an o/s rather than upgrade

"mlj" <jones.oyadomari@verizon(dot)net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to setup a miniscule server for 2 in a home closet, and the
> 180Watt, quiet, Shuttle Zen is looking very attractive. But can the
Windows
> 2000 ATI 9100 IGP-based Shuttle motherboard drivers on the Shuttle site
(for
> lan, video, audio, usb 2.0, etc.) actually work with Windows 2003?
>
> Has anyone tried either a clean install of Windows 2003 and loaded these
> drivers, or a Windows 2000 install and an upgrade to 2003? I think I can
> live without the audio, but all else seems fairly essential for our work.
>
> Thanks in advance for any experience shared. BTW: I have the same
questions
> outstanding to the Shuttle US sales team, shuttle and homebuilt pc
> newsgroups, and will post any updates.
>
> ~MLJ

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Windows Server 2003 was released a year ago...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003

--
Regards,
Kristofer Gafvert

"DL" <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote in message
> I assume you mean WinXP, there is no win2003
> It would seem extremely unlikely winxp wasnt supported.
> Allways better to clean install an o/s rather than upgrade
>
> "mlj" <jones.oyadomari@verizon(dot)net> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to setup a miniscule server for 2 in a home closet, and the
> > 180Watt, quiet, Shuttle Zen is looking very attractive. But can the
> Windows
> > 2000 ATI 9100 IGP-based Shuttle motherboard drivers on the Shuttle site
> (for
> > lan, video, audio, usb 2.0, etc.) actually work with Windows 2003?
> >
> > Has anyone tried either a clean install of Windows 2003 and loaded these
> > drivers, or a Windows 2000 install and an upgrade to 2003? I think I can
> > live without the audio, but all else seems fairly essential for our
work.

> > Thanks in advance for any experience shared. BTW: I have the same
> questions
> > outstanding to the Shuttle US sales team, shuttle and homebuilt pc
> > newsgroups, and will post any updates.
> >
> > ~MLJ

dl

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

wasnt thinking server

"Kristofer Gafvert" <kgafvert@NEWSilopia.com> wrote in message
> Windows Server 2003 was released a year ago...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003
>
> --
> Regards,
> Kristofer Gafvert
>

> "DL" <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote in message
> > I assume you mean WinXP, there is no win2003
> > It would seem extremely unlikely winxp wasnt supported.
> > Allways better to clean install an o/s rather than upgrade
> >
> > "mlj" <jones.oyadomari@verizon(dot)net> wrote in message
> > > I'm trying to setup a miniscule server for 2 in a home closet, and the
> > > 180Watt, quiet, Shuttle Zen is looking very attractive. But can the
> > Windows
> > > 2000 ATI 9100 IGP-based Shuttle motherboard drivers on the Shuttle
site
> > (for
> > > lan, video, audio, usb 2.0, etc.) actually work with Windows 2003?
> > >
> > > Has anyone tried either a clean install of Windows 2003 and loaded
these
> > > drivers, or a Windows 2000 install and an upgrade to 2003? I think I
can
> > > live without the audio, but all else seems fairly essential for our
> work.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any experience shared. BTW: I have the same
> > questions
> > > outstanding to the Shuttle US sales team, shuttle and homebuilt pc
> > > newsgroups, and will post any updates.
> > >
> > > ~MLJ

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

"I'm trying to setup a miniscule server for 2 in a home closet"

:)

DL wrote:
> wasnt thinking server
>
> "Kristofer Gafvert" <kgafvert@NEWSilopia.com> wrote in message
>> Windows Server 2003 was released a year ago...
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Kristofer Gafvert
>>

>> "DL" <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I assume you mean WinXP, there is no win2003
>>> It would seem extremely unlikely winxp wasnt supported.
>>> Allways better to clean install an o/s rather than upgrade
>>>
>>> "mlj" <jones.oyadomari@verizon(dot)net> wrote in message
> site
>>> (for

dl

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Its all in my miniscule mind, or to put it another way, my mind was in the
closet
:)

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> "I'm trying to setup a miniscule server for 2 in a home closet"
>
> :)
>
> DL wrote:
> > wasnt thinking server
> >
> > "Kristofer Gafvert" <kgafvert@NEWSilopia.com> wrote in message
> >> Windows Server 2003 was released a year ago...
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Kristofer Gafvert
> >>

> >> "DL" <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote in message

> > site

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I'd advise you to come out of it but I fear I'd be misunderstood!
<g>

DL wrote:
> Its all in my miniscule mind, or to put it another way, my mind was
> in the closet
> :)
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:uoH7$pkKEHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> "I'm trying to setup a miniscule server for 2 in a home closet"
>>
>> :)
>>
>> DL wrote:
>>> wasnt thinking server
>>>
>>> "Kristofer Gafvert" <kgafvert@NEWSilopia.com> wrote in message

>>> site

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

mlj <jones.oyadomari@verizon(dot)net> wrote:
| I'm trying to setup a miniscule server
What sort of service is miniscule ? (DHCP server, DNS server, web server,
database server, miniscule server . . )
for 2 in a home closet,
Sounds crowded in there ! Even only one in a home closet would be cramped.
:)
and the
| 180Watt, quiet, Shuttle Zen is looking very attractive. But can the
| Windows 2000 ATI 9100 IGP-based Shuttle motherboard drivers on the
| Shuttle site (for lan, video, audio, usb 2.0, etc.) actually work
| with Windows 2003?
I would suggest Microsoft's HCL (hardware compatibility list) and the
Windows Catalogue for an answer - the shuttle Zen isn't specifically
mentioned, but other applications of the ATI 9100 IGP are.

| Has anyone tried either a clean install of Windows 2003 and loaded
| these drivers, or a Windows 2000 install and an upgrade to 2003? I
| think I can live without the audio, but all else seems fairly
| essential for our work.
|
| Thanks in advance for any experience shared. BTW: I have the same
| questions outstanding to the Shuttle US sales team, shuttle and
| homebuilt pc newsgroups, and will post any updates.
|
| ~MLJ

I've just tried to install Windows Server 2003 on a Shuttle ST62K, and
basically IT DOES NOT WORK. Some of the drivers - either on the CD-ROM
or from Shuttle's site give an immediate BSOD on restart. Even without
these the system hangs after a few minutes. It's a disaster!

So my scheme of having a very quiet little (2003) server tucked into a
corner is now a non-starter. So it's back to Win2K or XP.

--
Bernard Howard

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

The "server" will host terminal services sessions and our development and
productivity apps. Basically, instead of smart clients accessing some
central disk, backup and printing, we're considering keeping last generation
laptops as dumb Windows terminals and run the apps and desktops on the
server as well.

Re: the Shuttle Zen. I did get the following reply on
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle

"I just finished installing Windows Server 2003 Enterprise edition on
my Zen and it seems to be working fine. However, I had tried to
upgrade Windows 2000 Server to Windows 2003 and during the
installation of devices the system kept crashing to a BSOD. The error
said "The driver is mismanaging system PTEs". I figured that this had
something to do with the Windows 2000 ATI drivers that were installed
for the video adapter. After sever failed attempts to resolve the
problem, I trashed the upgrade and ran a fresh install of Windows 2003
and the install was successful. I did install the XP audio and the SM
Bus drivers included on the Shuttle CD. But let Windows install the
LAN and video drivers. Hope that helps."

~Lee