How do I turn off my monitor

My computer running Windows 2000 Pro used to go into sleep mode, however some program I might have added or a MS update (have the latest) changed all that.
Regardless of the changes I make to the Control Panel/Power Options/Power Scenes, the monitor will not turn off.
I suspect that some entry in my Registry is preventing my monitor from turning off.
I read somewhere that an older version of McAfee would cause this problem, however I do not have any McAfee programs on this computer.
How would I find such a culprit without having to re-install Windows all over again.

dl

Check settings for pwr in Display properties as well