Sign in with
Your question

OC'd Opteron 165/170 vs X2 4800 toledo

Last response: in Overclocking
February 24, 2007 8:07:50 PM

Hi, I'm looking at upgrading my system. I was originally wanting to get a new motherboard and RAM and whatnot and go AM2, but then someone suggested I get an Opteron 165/170 and OC it. This would save me some money and I would probably get an 8800 GTS 320 to go with it. What I need though is some benchmarks showing how an OC'd Opteron compares to other processors, since TG's excellent CPU charts don't have Opteron's. So, for instance, how would an OC'd Opteron compare to a 4800 Toledo, which appears to have excellent performance?

My rig right now is:

Foxconn N8-something mobo
Athlon 3200+ Venice
1 GB Patriot value RAM, DDR400
Leadtek 6600GT
Western Digital IDE 160GB HD

Definitely time for an upgrade :D 

I'm looking for the best upgrade path. Now, I will only be able to use this computer for another year and then I'll be away from home for 2 years, so I don't want to spend TOO much, but I do want something that will work well for that year for gaming.

I'm not OCing anything atm although I've read that Venices OC well. What would be a safe push with the stock cooler and Arctic Silver 5?
March 22, 2007 5:39:55 AM

I got my Opty 165 running at 3.0 GHz really easy too.
Im using the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo.

It's some new stepping I just bought it recently.

Opty 165 is tricky cos of the 9x multiplier.
March 24, 2007 3:21:49 AM

In general games,the permance gaps between these two processors aren't distinct,so Opteron + 8800GTS is your best choise! :lol: 
!