Would this notebook run OK with XP Home?

Hello

I am seeking opinions as to whether this computer would run MS XP Home
SP2 reasonably well. I am happy to add more RAM if that would help.

Any assistance appreciated.

--
Regards
Echy

Greetings from Melbourne, Australia
www.thatsmelbourne.com.au

Specification:-

Compaq Armada 7400
192 Megabytes Installed Memory
400 megahertz Intel Celeron
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
IBM-DARA-212000 Hard drive 12.07 GB
BIOS: Compaq 686B 06/02/99
HP OfficeJet G85 printer/fax/scanner
Compaq Armada 56K (V.90) Modem
Infrared Communication Device
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
USB Root Hub
TV Data Adapter
Microsoft - Windows 98 (build 4.10.1998)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:36:58 +1100, Echy wrote:

> I am seeking opinions as to whether this computer would run MS XP Home
> SP2 reasonably well. I am happy to add more RAM if that would help.
>
> Any assistance appreciated.
>
> Specification:-
>
> Compaq Armada 7400
> 192 Megabytes Installed Memory
> 400 megahertz Intel Celeron
> 32 kilobyte primary memory cache
> 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
> IBM-DARA-212000 Hard drive 12.07 GB
> BIOS: Compaq 686B 06/02/99
> HP OfficeJet G85 printer/fax/scanner
> Compaq Armada 56K (V.90) Modem
> Infrared Communication Device
> Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
> USB Root Hub
> TV Data Adapter
> Microsoft - Windows 98 (build 4.10.1998)

With only a 400 Mhz Celeron processor, you would find it would be quite
slow running XP. While that is above the minimum requirements, I don't
think you could call it running reasonably well with that processor.
Ideally you would also increase the RAM to at least 256 MB.

You also have to be concerned about whether or not you will have hardware
compatibility issues. Notebook PC's are notoriously proprietary with
Compaq's being some of the worst. I suspect you will find that there are
not available drivers for all of your hardware components.

My recommendation would be to leave Windows 98 on the laptop. If you need
XP, then look at purchasing a laptop that was designed for Windows XP.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Your computer has not been certified by HP/Compaq for XP. That means that
the drivers for your motherboard, video, NIC, keyboard, TV Data adaptor,
Modem, and infrared device do not have drivers XP. Updates stop at Windows
2000, as you will observe on the HP/Compaq support website. It does not
appear that the BIOS is updated for XP either. Do not upgrade this computer
to XP.

"Echy" <acuhcewrongone@bmail.com.au> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I am seeking opinions as to whether this computer would run MS XP Home SP2
> reasonably well. I am happy to add more RAM if that would help.
>
> Any assistance appreciated.
>
> --
> Regards
> Echy
>
> Greetings from Melbourne, Australia
> www.thatsmelbourne.com.au
>
> Specification:-
>
> Compaq Armada 7400
> 192 Megabytes Installed Memory
> 400 megahertz Intel Celeron
> 32 kilobyte primary memory cache
> 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
> IBM-DARA-212000 Hard drive 12.07 GB
> BIOS: Compaq 686B 06/02/99
> HP OfficeJet G85 printer/fax/scanner
> Compaq Armada 56K (V.90) Modem
> Infrared Communication Device
> Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
> USB Root Hub
> TV Data Adapter
> Microsoft - Windows 98 (build 4.10.1998)

Hello,

I don't have exactly the same notebook but have a Compaq Presario 2500 with
Windows XP Home SP2 installed in it and it works quite well. It is not a
Linux-based system but it is quite usable.

Sincerely yours,

Prof. André Luiz Tietböhl Ramos, M.Sc.
Ph.D. Candidate
Industrial and Systems Engineering Department
Virginia Tech
Professor, Departamento de Engenharia Mecânica e Engenharia Mecatrônica -
PUC/RS
"Echy" <acuhcewrongone@bmail.com.au> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I am seeking opinions as to whether this computer would run MS XP Home SP2
> reasonably well. I am happy to add more RAM if that would help.
>
> Any assistance appreciated.
>
> --
> Regards
> Echy
>
> Greetings from Melbourne, Australia
> www.thatsmelbourne.com.au
>
> Specification:-
>
> Compaq Armada 7400
> 192 Megabytes Installed Memory
> 400 megahertz Intel Celeron
> 32 kilobyte primary memory cache
> 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
> IBM-DARA-212000 Hard drive 12.07 GB
> BIOS: Compaq 686B 06/02/99
> HP OfficeJet G85 printer/fax/scanner
> Compaq Armada 56K (V.90) Modem
> Infrared Communication Device
> Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
> USB Root Hub
> TV Data Adapter
> Microsoft - Windows 98 (build 4.10.1998)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:36:58 +1100, Echy wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am seeking opinions as to whether this computer would run MS XP Home
> SP2 reasonably well. I am happy to add more RAM if that would help.
>
> Any assistance appreciated.

I installed XP Home onto a Compaq laptop with similar specs (larger hard
drive). Performance was not astounding. It was setup with very few
startup/tray items. System> Advanced> Performance> Graphics reined in with
"best performance" vs "best appearance." It was "okay" for email, typing
documents and light browsing. My brother still uses it for portability
around the house.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Tom Porterfield wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:36:58 +1100, Echy wrote:
>

>>I am seeking opinions as to whether this computer would run MS XP Home
>>SP2 reasonably well. I am happy to add more RAM if that would help.
>>
>>Any assistance appreciated.
>>
>>Specification:-
>>
>>Compaq Armada 7400
>>192 Megabytes Installed Memory
>>400 megahertz Intel Celeron
>>32 kilobyte primary memory cache
>>256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
>>IBM-DARA-212000 Hard drive 12.07 GB
>>BIOS: Compaq 686B 06/02/99
>>HP OfficeJet G85 printer/fax/scanner
>>Compaq Armada 56K (V.90) Modem
>>Infrared Communication Device
>>Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
>>USB Root Hub
>>TV Data Adapter
>>Microsoft - Windows 98 (build 4.10.1998)
>

> With only a 400 Mhz Celeron processor, you would find it would be quite
> slow running XP. While that is above the minimum requirements, I don't
> think you could call it running reasonably well with that processor.
> Ideally you would also increase the RAM to at least 256 MB.
>
> You also have to be concerned about whether or not you will have hardware
> compatibility issues. Notebook PC's are notoriously proprietary with
> Compaq's being some of the worst. I suspect you will find that there are
> not available drivers for all of your hardware components.
>
> My recommendation would be to leave Windows 98 on the laptop. If you need
> XP, then look at purchasing a laptop that was designed for Windows XP.

Thanks for your replies. If I took the plunge or was stupid enough to
try XP Home on the Compaq, would it be possible to revert to Win 98 (not
Win 98SE) without a "disaster. I use 98 simply because I own it. Now I
also own XP Home hence my original question.

Thanks for any further input.

--
Regards
Echy

Greetings from Melbourne, Australia
www.thatsmelbourne.com.au

Yes, you can revert if the OS installs and runs OK. That is the rub. In
order to uninstall XP and restore the previous operating system you have to
have a system that is stable enough to run Add/Remove programs. It you got
the system to that point, you might as well keep it. The danger is getting
hung up without a good video driver or something like that. You need to run
the Upgrade Advisor before you make any decisions. If you can't find update
driver's the Advisor says you need or don't want to give up a program that
the Advisor says must be removed, then what good is the upgrade. This is
not a 50/50 shot. The HP/Compaq website makes it clear to me that you will
not get a good upgrade.

> Tom Porterfield wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:36:58 +1100, Echy wrote:
>>

>>>I am seeking opinions as to whether this computer would run MS XP Home
>>>SP2 reasonably well. I am happy to add more RAM if that would help.
>>>
>>>Any assistance appreciated.
>>>
>>>Specification:-
>>>
>>>Compaq Armada 7400
>>>192 Megabytes Installed Memory
>>>400 megahertz Intel Celeron
>>>32 kilobyte primary memory cache
>>>256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
>>>IBM-DARA-212000 Hard drive 12.07 GB
>>>BIOS: Compaq 686B 06/02/99
>>>HP OfficeJet G85 printer/fax/scanner
>>>Compaq Armada 56K (V.90) Modem
>>>Infrared Communication Device
>>>Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
>>>USB Root Hub
>>>TV Data Adapter
>>>Microsoft - Windows 98 (build 4.10.1998)
>>

>> With only a 400 Mhz Celeron processor, you would find it would be quite
>> slow running XP. While that is above the minimum requirements, I don't
>> think you could call it running reasonably well with that processor.
>> Ideally you would also increase the RAM to at least 256 MB.
>>
>> You also have to be concerned about whether or not you will have hardware
>> compatibility issues. Notebook PC's are notoriously proprietary with
>> Compaq's being some of the worst. I suspect you will find that there are
>> not available drivers for all of your hardware components.
>>
>> My recommendation would be to leave Windows 98 on the laptop. If you
>> need
>> XP, then look at purchasing a laptop that was designed for Windows XP.
>
> Thanks for your replies. If I took the plunge or was stupid enough to try
> XP Home on the Compaq, would it be possible to revert to Win 98 (not Win
> 98SE) without a "disaster. I use 98 simply because I own it. Now I also
> own XP Home hence my original question.
>
> Thanks for any further input.
>
> --
> Regards
> Echy
>
> Greetings from Melbourne, Australia
> www.thatsmelbourne.com.au

You certainly must realize there are no guarantees with regard to disaster.
In other words, if you are not prepared for it, don't do it. It may work
well 99 times out of a hundred, if you are that 1 that doesn't all the
reassurance in the word won't help. If you're not backed up and not
prepared for the eventuality that things MIGHT go wrong, you really
shouldn't be performing functions such as you describe.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
> You certainly must realize there are no guarantees with regard to disaster.
> In other words, if you are not prepared for it, don't do it. It may work
> well 99 times out of a hundred, if you are that 1 that doesn't all the
> reassurance in the word won't help. If you're not backed up and not
> prepared for the eventuality that things MIGHT go wrong, you really
> shouldn't be performing functions such as you describe.

Thanks for replying. My comments on your comments:-

"You certainly must realize there are no guarantees with regard to
disaster. "

I certainly realise this.

" If you're not backed up"

I am backed up.

".....and not prepared for the eventuality that things MIGHT go wrong
........"

I am prepared for this eventuality,

" you really shouldn't be performing functions such as you describe."

this comment therefore becomes redundant .... and possibly mildly offensive

--
Regards
Echy

I meant no offense and I apologize if you took it that way.

If you scan these newsgroups, you can find an almost daily litany of users
who come to us with issues that include, "I'm not backed up," and expect us
to help them out of the situation and to do so without loss of their files.

Hence, when I see a post such as yours, I would rather err on the side of
caution and make the recommendation even if it is unnecessary. Also note,
these are peer to peer public newsgroups. Questions and responses are for
the benefit of all. If I see a topic such as this and let it go at face
value with only replies that tell you it is safe and never mention the other
possibilities and the necessity of a backup, it is irresponsible on my part.

There are many lurkers who never post and you might be surprised at the
number of times we get posts from people in trouble who simply got the
wrong impression from a thread such as this that may not have included my
admonition about backup.

Again, I apologize for any misimpression you may have gotten but understand
the spirit in which it was meant.

--

> Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> You certainly must realize there are no guarantees with regard to
>> disaster. In other words, if you are not prepared for it, don't do it.
>> It may work well 99 times out of a hundred, if you are that 1 that
>> doesn't all the reassurance in the word won't help. If you're not backed
>> up and not prepared for the eventuality that things MIGHT go wrong, you
>> really shouldn't be performing functions such as you describe.
>>
> Thanks for replying. My comments on your comments:-
>
> "You certainly must realize there are no guarantees with regard to
> disaster. "
>
> I certainly realise this.
>

> " If you're not backed up"
>
> I am backed up.
>

> ".....and not prepared for the eventuality that things MIGHT go wrong
> ......."
>
> I am prepared for this eventuality,
>

> " you really shouldn't be performing functions such as you describe."
>
> this comment therefore becomes redundant .... and possibly mildly
> offensive
>
> --
> Regards
> Echy

Michael Solomon (MS-MVP) wrote:
> I meant no offense and I apologize if you took it that way.
>
> If you scan these newsgroups, you can find an almost daily litany of users
> who come to us with issues that include, "I'm not backed up," and expect us
> to help them out of the situation and to do so without loss of their files.
>
> Hence, when I see a post such as yours, I would rather err on the side of
> caution and make the recommendation even if it is unnecessary. Also note,
> these are peer to peer public newsgroups. Questions and responses are for
> the benefit of all. If I see a topic such as this and let it go at face
> value with only replies that tell you it is safe and never mention the other
> possibilities and the necessity of a backup, it is irresponsible on my part.
>
> There are many lurkers who never post and you might be surprised at the
> number of times we get posts from people in trouble who simply got the
> wrong impression from a thread such as this that may not have included my
> admonition about backup.
>
> Again, I apologize for any misimpression you may have gotten but understand
> the spirit in which it was meant.

Michael

Thanks for this posting, I better understand "where you are coming from"
now. No offence taken and I do appreciate the work/time you and others
take to help out - especially MVP's. I try to do the same when I think I
have something useful to contribute.

Regards
Echy

Thank you for your understanding.:)

--

Echy wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am seeking opinions as to whether this computer would run MS XP Home
> SP2 reasonably well. I am happy to add more RAM if that would help.
>
> Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks for all of the replies. Have decided to stick with 98 until I can
justify a new notebook. Any ideas of what excuses I can come up with to
support the purchase of a nice new machine?? The "boss" isn't buying my
reasons so far.

--
Regards
Echy

Greetings from Melbourne, Australia
www.thatsmelbourne.com.au

The old machine was broken when it was ...

| Echy wrote:
| > Hello
| >
| > I am seeking opinions as to whether this computer would
run MS XP Home
| > SP2 reasonably well. I am happy to add more RAM if that
would help.

| > Any assistance appreciated.
| >
| Thanks for all of the replies. Have decided to stick with
98 until I can
| justify a new notebook. Any ideas of what excuses I can
come up with to
| support the purchase of a nice new machine?? The "boss"
isn't buying my
| reasons so far.
|
| --
| Regards
| Echy
|
| Greetings from Melbourne, Australia
| www.thatsmelbourne.com.au

"I just won a new laptop from Publisher's Clearing House. Sorry you missed
Ed McMahon dear, he so wanted to meet you."

"I downloaded it from Dell and I'm just trying it out."

"Echy" <acuhcewrongone@bmail.com.au> wrote in message
> Echy wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I am seeking opinions as to whether this computer would run MS XP Home
>> SP2 reasonably well. I am happy to add more RAM if that would help.
>>
>> Any assistance appreciated.
>>
> Thanks for all of the replies. Have decided to stick with 98 until I can
> justify a new notebook. Any ideas of what excuses I can come up with to
> support the purchase of a nice new machine?? The "boss" isn't buying my
> reasons so far.
>
> --
> Regards
> Echy
>
> Greetings from Melbourne, Australia
> www.thatsmelbourne.com.au

The trick is to have enough computers that she quits counting. Then you can
say things like, "Oh that one? That's been there for months. Didn't you
notice?"

You know you're a computer nut when your wife says, "You have to make a
choice," and you know how much you're going to miss her.

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> "I just won a new laptop from Publisher's Clearing House. Sorry you missed
> Ed McMahon dear, he so wanted to meet you."
>
> "I downloaded it from Dell and I'm just trying it out."

Like both of these. The Dell one is my favourite but could be tricky as
"she who wants to be obeyed" is an graduate and university lecturer on
IT subjects.

--
Regards
Echy

Greetings from Melbourne, Australia
www.thatsmelbourne.com.au

- Being "over the hill" is much better than being under it! -

Gordon

Echy wrote:
|| as "she who wants to be obeyed" is an graduate and university
|| lecturer on IT subjects.

So in other words knows nothing about IT in the real world......

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Then I wouldn't order any pizzas by fax either. :)

Gordon wrote:
> Echy wrote:
> || as "she who wants to be obeyed" is an graduate and university
> || lecturer on IT subjects.
>
> So in other words knows nothing about IT in the real world......

I'm definitely not going to allude to anything like that! I like living.

--

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> The trick is to have enough computers that she quits counting. Then you can
> say things like, "Oh that one? That's been there for months. Didn't you
> notice?"

This idea has half a chance of working!