question in setting up a raid 0 on existing computer

mrwickwire

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Hi I have already setup my computer and I would like to change it over to a raid 0 config. my question is do i need to start from sctatch or and i get a new drive or two drives. I already have 1 sata 160bg drive I want more storage and faster read wright times can you help please.

With Raid 0 you need two drives. The total storage for Raid 0 is the sum of the drives. I advise people against Raid 0 because the performance increase is not worth it in my opinion.
A Raptor would give faster loading times for files than your present system and not be as fragile as Raid 0.

FTCold

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
As Evongugg said you'll need at least two drives and the total capacity would be the summation of the capacity of the drives involved. As Evongugg warned there is no redundancy when it comes to RAID 0 - if you lose a drive there is nothing you can do (short of a professional data recovery) to get (some) of the data back. If you take evongugg's suggestion you're in the same boat though if you lose the drive everything is lost.

I personally run RAID 0 on my gaming machine as I really don't care if I lose the information or not - I generally wipe it every 3 - 6 months. It's cheaper to get 2 inexpensive disks and raid 0 them than put the money down for a raptor. You'll get 2x-5x the capacity and the same if not better performance in most area's. Just make sure when you set it up you configure it for what you need.