Indoor antenna

Recently got a Sony XBR CRT set.Almost no cable programming
is available in my town...and Dish TV says "no network channels
available in your area.I assume that Direct TV is the same.

So,I bought a Radio Shack powered antenna for OTA broadcasts.
The local PBS station comes in almost perfectly....but that's
it.

I'd love to hear from anybody who has had good experiences
with indoor HD antennas.

Thanks!
8 answers Last reply
More about indoor antenna

    Where do you live?

    Frank Lodge wrote:
    > Recently got a Sony XBR CRT set.Almost no cable programming
    > is available in my town...and Dish TV says "no network channels
    > available in your area.I assume that Direct TV is the same.
    >
    > So,I bought a Radio Shack powered antenna for OTA broadcasts.
    > The local PBS station comes in almost perfectly....but that's
    > it.
    >
    > I'd love to hear from anybody who has had good experiences
    > with indoor HD antennas.
    I am fighting with Comcast over HD. I say that they are supposed to
    give me whatever I can get over the airways. They say HD is in digital
    tier and I need to suscribe to that service & pay for a cablecard or one
    of their STB. I get NBC,PBS,Fox hd but not ABC, UPN or WB stations from
    my area. I went and bought RS OTA powered Ant. I get All stations but
    considerable drop out and fluctuation in signal recieving. Techs came
    out from Comcast and said they never saw TV like XBR. I complained about
    the fact that I get other peoples Video On Demand stuff including R
    rated Porn. They said I was lucky and if I don't like it block those
    chanels. I don't want PPV or VOD. Just want what is over the air. I know
    that if I spend $100 on a better Ant I will not need them at all for HD.
    I don't understand (other than their greed) why I have to pay extra for
    HD. It seems to me that they want me (a 20 year customer) to pay for the
    upgrades mandated by the goverment. I would think that the basic cable
    cost should cover their R&D.
    I recieve all local HD with some drop out & freezes but in general It
    does work and shows me that OTA is not dead and once the conversion to
    digital is complete the better picture and ease of reception will really
    crimp the cable company's plan to make me give them $100 a month.
    Good Luck from Metro Detroit
    Terry Joyce

    Frank Lodge wrote:

    > Recently got a Sony XBR CRT set.Almost no cable programming
    > is available in my town...and Dish TV says "no network channels
    > available in your area.I assume that Direct TV is the same.
    >
    > So,I bought a Radio Shack powered antenna for OTA broadcasts.
    > The local PBS station comes in almost perfectly....but that's
    > it.
    >
    > I'd love to hear from anybody who has had good experiences
    > with indoor HD antennas.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Frank:

    You have the ultimate 960 Sony CRT HDTV....

    As for a good indoor antenna....

    You must know, in Advance, the OTA HD/Digital Tower

    directions And distance in miles... Important..

    Try http://www.antennaweb.org.... Enter 9 Digit Zip Code!

    Then select Digital Stations... Note Directions &

    distance in Miles... 0 Deg is North.. 90 Deg is East...

    Then print the user friendly Street Map....

    You now should know which Digital Networks are transmitting ..

    but maybe or maybe not in HD....

    You also know which Digital Stations are VHF

    Chans 2 thru 13 And which are UHF chans 14 thru 59..

    VHF antennas are big... UHF antennas are smaller...

    Combo UHF/VHF are big antennas

    As for a Good UHF outdoor antenna that will work/fit indoors..

    Consider the Channel Master 3021 $25 4 bay bow tie.

    This directional UHF antenna works from 5 to 40 miles out !!

    And to fill out your 960 HD package....

    Antenna Cable should be RG-6 double shielded,

    not quad shielded...

    "Frank Lodge" <nospam@myhome.com> wrote in message
    > Recently got a Sony XBR CRT set.Almost no cable programming
    > is available in my town...and Dish TV says "no network channels
    > available in your area.I assume that Direct TV is the same.
    >
    > So,I bought a Radio Shack powered antenna for OTA broadcasts.
    > The local PBS station comes in almost perfectly....but that's
    > it.
    >
    > I'd love to hear from anybody who has had good experiences
    > with indoor HD antennas.

    I bought a cheap Phillips amp'd rabbit ears/loop at Wal-Mart for 20
    something bux

    Works fine and I don't have to adjust it.

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:47:50 -0400, Frank Lodge <nospam@myhome.com>
    wrote:

    >Recently got a Sony XBR CRT set.Almost no cable programming
    >is available in my town...and Dish TV says "no network channels
    >available in your area.I assume that Direct TV is the same.
    >
    >So,I bought a Radio Shack powered antenna for OTA broadcasts.
    >The local PBS station comes in almost perfectly....but that's
    >it.
    >
    >I'd love to hear from anybody who has had good experiences
    >with indoor HD antennas.

    Acceptable (H)DTV reception is based on several variables.

    Two of the bigger ones are your building construction(age, type),
    and your location.. (What is your 5 digit zip code?).

    With comcast, HD Broadcast channels are INCLUDED IN LIMITED BASIC SERVICE.
    (well the are in Boston)
    If you already have an ATSC tuner,you will most likely be able to get the HD
    localsd withOUT a box.
    However they SHOULD let you have THIER box for boix rentasl fee and the cost
    of limited basic.

    --
    A widescreen edition of a movie presents the film frame as it was seen in
    the movie theater. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's

    End of story!
    "Terry joyce" <terrynospamjoyce@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Frank Lodge wrote:
    > > Recently got a Sony XBR CRT set.Almost no cable programming
    > > is available in my town...and Dish TV says "no network channels
    > > available in your area.I assume that Direct TV is the same.
    > >
    > > So,I bought a Radio Shack powered antenna for OTA broadcasts.
    > > The local PBS station comes in almost perfectly....but that's
    > > it.
    > >
    > > I'd love to hear from anybody who has had good experiences
    > > with indoor HD antennas.
    > I am fighting with Comcast over HD. I say that they are supposed to
    > give me whatever I can get over the airways. They say HD is in digital
    > tier and I need to suscribe to that service & pay for a cablecard or one
    > of their STB. I get NBC,PBS,Fox hd but not ABC, UPN or WB stations from
    > my area. I went and bought RS OTA powered Ant. I get All stations but
    > considerable drop out and fluctuation in signal recieving. Techs came
    > out from Comcast and said they never saw TV like XBR. I complained about
    > the fact that I get other peoples Video On Demand stuff including R
    > rated Porn. They said I was lucky and if I don't like it block those
    > chanels. I don't want PPV or VOD. Just want what is over the air. I know
    > that if I spend $100 on a better Ant I will not need them at all for HD.
    > I don't understand (other than their greed) why I have to pay extra for
    > HD. It seems to me that they want me (a 20 year customer) to pay for the
    > upgrades mandated by the goverment. I would think that the basic cable
    > cost should cover their R&D.
    > I recieve all local HD with some drop out & freezes but in general It
    > does work and shows me that OTA is not dead and once the conversion to
    > digital is complete the better picture and ease of reception will really
    > crimp the cable company's plan to make me give them $100 a month.
    > Good Luck from Metro Detroit
    > Terry Joyce

    ZENITH SILVER SENSOR IS THE STANDARD FOR HDTV OTA

    "eric" <eric.pelser@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > ZENITH SILVER SENSOR IS THE STANDARD FOR HDTV OTA
    > "Frank Lodge" <nospam@myhome.com> wrote in message
    > > Recently got a Sony XBR CRT set.Almost no cable programming
    > > is available in my town...and Dish TV says "no network channels
    > > available in your area.I assume that Direct TV is the same.
    > >
    > > So,I bought a Radio Shack powered antenna for OTA broadcasts.
    > > The local PBS station comes in almost perfectly....but that's
    > > it.
    > >
    > > I'd love to hear from anybody who has had good experiences
    > > with indoor HD antennas.
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    I have a cheap Philips amp'd rabbit/loop from Wal-Mart feeding a cheap
    Funai-Sylvania 6900 ATSC tuner - some $170 investment total for OTA.... not
    counting the expensive home theater stuff for HDTV over cable.

    I get all the OTA DT's in town with 80% or better signal strength without
    moving the antenna but then again, I am within 10 miles of them.

    Prior, I had an unamp'ed cheapo rabbit/loop and if I tried REALLY hard I
    could get all the stations without moving the antenna but one of them was
    marginal below 60% - if I turned the antenna, I could get all the stations
    rock solid.

    So it really is determined by where you are and where the towers are and
    what's between you and them.

HDTV TV CRT Monitors Home Theatre