2.3 GHZ Barcelona VS Athlon X2-6000

wickedmonster

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I predict that the Barcelona will win in highly threaded benchmarks (server apps) but lose to X2 in single threaded benchmarks (desktop apps).

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
I predict that Barcelona uses 50% more letters than Athlon.

And I disagree with your prediction because the CEO of AMD has already stated that he speculates that he knows that he expects a 50%-70% preformance increase from K8L over a Core 2 Quad.

billystringer

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I have no doubt that AMD will come back strong, but there's no way they are going to get that sort of performance increase. I would bet my yearly salary on that.

-The String

endyen

Splendid
So, you want predictions do you.
The next time you go out in the woods, you will be hit by a branch. You know my prediction is right, because I got it off my P4, and everyone knows how good they are @ branch prediction!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
So, you want predictions do you.
The next time you go out in the woods, you will be hit by a branch. You know my prediction is right, because I got it off my P4, and everyone knows how good they are @ branch prediction!
Must be a Northwood. :D yuk yuk

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Uhh... One hates to be pedantic... but barcelona is nine letters, and athlon is 6... So the percentage is actually 66.66%. (truncated due to lack of space)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Uhh... One hates to be pedantic... but barcelona is nine letters, and athlon is 6... So the percentage is actually 66.66%. (truncated due to lack of space)
Especially when the one being pedantic is wrong. 9/6=1.5..50%

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
OK, so holding barcelona/athlon as an example, it is still only one third more letters... Hence only .66 better. Depends on oxen and goring.... (And statisticians, of which I am not.) OK, a solipstistic argument.

However, taking this stupidity back to the real world... Does anyone think that the barcelona can be (at launch) 40 to 70% better than the conroe chips?

kickbutt

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
OK, so holding barcelona/athlon as an example, it is still only one third more letters... Hence only .66 better. Depends on oxen and goring.... (And statisticians, of which I am not.) OK, a solipstistic argument.?

Your wrong get it?
athlon is .66 of barcelona yes...

but barcelona is 50% more then athlon

6+ 50% -> 9
6 + 66.67% -> 10 (wrong)

So once again 50%

Hex

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004

And I disagree with your prediction because the CEO of AMD has already stated that he speculates that he knows that he expects a 50%-70% preformance increase from K8L over a Core 2 Quad.

I predict you are right. (50% more letters that is.)

This is slightly off topic and I appolozige for such statements, but the result will be relevant.
Ok here's the situation. I'm niether an Intel nor AMD "fanboy", even thought I get accused of being an AMD fanboy. Whatever the case may be, I'm a fanboy to my pocket book. That means keeping AMD in the game. Otherwise, I'd still be paying $1000 for a P4. Unfortunately, some people can't grasp that concept.

However with my support for AMD to stay in the game, I can honeslty say that I highly doubt that AMD will produce a processor that out performs the C2D by 70% (even though I would like to see AMD break Jack's heart) :lol: . I'm not saying it is impossible for AMD to gain up to 70% performance increase over the C2D, but it's not propable.
I do however, assume that it will be on par or slightly above Intel's C2D. My assumption on the 70% increase is from a benchmard wieghed by AMD which is not comparable to "real world" applications, and yes, Intel does it too.

3 cheers go to AMD to keep the competition and therefore the prices low.! :D

bLAKEpERKINS

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006

lol, GO BACK TO SCHOOL. rofl, he said:

see that? means it has 150% number of letters, of the word athlon.

50% of 6 = 3
3+6 = 9
I = better then you :p

bLAKE

i can just see the entire forum members joining in to correct his mistake around 50 times :p

kickbutt

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
"Hence only .66 better"

This is what he wrote... and then it is with athlon as base
As I can read it (yeeh the calc is right but he dosnt know what he is calc) he means that its 67% better when it is athlon thats is 2/3 ea +50% or -33% from barcelona

-I- dont have a problem with math

----

As for the barcelona vs x2-6000+
from the numbers thats been talked about "40-50% better then the competition" (from amd) and when the competition is ~30% better then x2 right now then even a 2GHz barcelona would beat an x2-6000+ in most apps

I predict you are right. (50% more letters that is.)

This is slightly off topic and I appolozige for such statements, but the result will be relevant.
Ok here's the situation. I'm niether an Intel nor AMD "fanboy", even thought I get accused of being an AMD fanboy. Whatever the case may be, I'm a fanboy to my pocket book. That means keeping AMD in the game. Otherwise, I'd still be paying $1000 for a P4. Unfortunately, some people can't grasp that concept.

However with my support for AMD to stay in the game, I can honeslty say that I highly doubt that AMD will produce a processor that out performs the C2D by 70% (even though I would like to see AMD break Jack's heart) :lol: . I'm not saying it is impossible for AMD to gain up to 70% performance increase over the C2D, but it's not propable.
I do however, assume that it will be on par or slightly above Intel's C2D. My assumption on the 70% increase is from a benchmard wieghed by AMD which is not comparable to "real world" applications, and yes, Intel does it too.

3 cheers go to AMD to keep the competition and therefore the prices low.! :D As I understood what Ive read , is that Barcelona will outperm opteron by those margins , NOT C2D

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I have no doubt that AMD will come back strong, but there's no way they are going to get that sort of performance increase. I would bet my yearly salary on that.

-The String

So you're saying that AMDs engineers don't know what they're doing and that the executives will lie to cover it up?

jamiepotter

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
'Athlon' uses 33% fewer letters than 'Barcelona', and 'Barcelona' uses 50% more letters than 'Athlon'. It's a simple fraction thing, not a 'perspective thing':

Taking 'athlon' as the base:
9/6 = 3/2 = 1.50 = 150% = 50% increase
Taking 'barcelona' as the base:
6/9 = 2/3 = 0.67(to 2dp) = 67% = 33% decrease

You'd have thought basic maths would be the forte of computer geeks, but alas nay.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
So what you are doing is essentially trying to put words into his mouth and drive is conclusion rhetorically to something completely different from what he stated.... this is your typcial style of posing an argument... and it is ineffective....

BTW --- did you know that the 4x4 Asus dual socket 1207 motherboard does in fact support 8 gigs of memory .... what are you waiting for Baron, all your excuses are gone --- 8 gigs of memory and Vista is out.... what are you waiting for? Whip out Mr. CreditCard and give him something to do....

No he said he KNOWS they can't do it. That means he is privy to the abilities of Dirk Meyer's engineering team - some of which were former Itanium engineers.

And everywhere that sells that board says it only supports 1GB per slot. AMD even said that it won't support 8 until Agena FX. Go to ibuypower.com and ask them.

And if I were to I would get 2210s and OC to 2.2GHz.

You guys just make buying PCs no fun. What does what I may or may not buy have to do with his knowledge of AMDs engineering team?

No wonder I think you're parasitic organisms.

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Baron --- why are you looking at ibuypower anyway, why don't you build it yourself....

Jack

I recall him saying that he did not have the time to build it himself. I guess pulling himself away from the forumz for more than 4 or 5 hours would be more than he could bear.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Went to that site ... ibuypower, and did not see anything on the 4x4 in general, but did not really look...

Let me guess, you called them up and asked -- can I get 8 gig with it.... and they probably told you no, and probably passed off some BS that it doesn't support it.... you are getting the run around.

Did you actually call AMD and ask --- do your 4x4 64-bit CPUs only support 4 gigs? I am sure they will laugh at you.

Tell me Baron, just what is it about the IMC on AMD's 64-bit FX-74 that will not support > 4 gigs? You do realize that the memory supported is not dictated by anything other than the IMC/CPU in the AMD platform ---- the chipset has nothing to do with it.

Baron --- why are you looking at ibuypower anyway, why don't you build it yourself....

Jack

What part of AMD said it only supports 4GB do you not understand? They said it was to differentiate from Opteron. It's the RAM sockets not the chips.

Besides, you guys make building a PC no fun. I'm going to hang with what I have for the foreseeable future.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
'Athlon' uses 33% fewer letters than 'Barcelona', and 'Barcelona' uses 50% more letters than 'Athlon'. It's a simple fraction thing, not a 'perspective thing':

Taking 'athlon' as the base:
9/6 = 3/2 = 1.50 = 150% = 50% increase
Taking 'barcelona' as the base:
6/9 = 2/3 = 0.67(to 2dp) = 67% = 33% decrease

You'd have thought basic maths would be the forte of computer geeks, but alas nay.

I can't believe this is even a discussion 8O