How do I get out of setup mode in Win2k?

My laptop gets stuck "registering components" during install. I have
restarted many times and let the computer sit for about 30 hours (it
actually made some progress after about 12 hours then, no more). The
drive is Fat32, so I can boot from a Win98 boot CD and get to the hard
drive.

What is it that Win2k sees at boot time that says "run setup, i did
not finish last time?" Do I need to rename/delete some file or folder
so it will attempt to boot normally?

TIA,
Rick
4 answers Last reply
More about setup mode win2k

    Yes the hardware is compatible. I do not want to finish this install,
    I want to get some files off the drive and do a clean install. Do you
    know what file/folder/registry settings tells Win2k to enter setup?

    Rick

    is the laptop hardware ecompatible ? it may be stalling
    looking for a driver.

    Is it a clean install ? or an upgrade ?

    Are you running the install from the win2K CD

    Do you need to load 3rd party hardware drivers ?

    Geoff

    "Rick" <rwbaker1@swbell.net> wrote in message
    > My laptop gets stuck "registering components" during
    install. I have
    > restarted many times and let the computer sit for about 30
    hours (it
    > actually made some progress after about 12 hours then, no
    more). The
    > drive is Fat32, so I can boot from a Win98 boot CD and get
    to the hard
    > drive.
    >
    > What is it that Win2k sees at boot time that says "run
    setup, i did
    > not finish last time?" Do I need to rename/delete some
    file or folder
    > so it will attempt to boot normally?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Rick

    boot to dos and copy the files that way ?

    I can only suggest that if it is "stuck" midway during an
    install you cannot "cancel" the install and get the files
    via windows (version?) and deleting the "go to setup" file
    would not help

    I guess that you could delete the c:/winnt folder to get rid
    of the install totally, this would leave your data files
    alone, and allow you to try the install again to get at your
    data (if the boot to DOS is not an option)

    Do you have access to a 2.5 to 3.5 HD converter and another
    computer - set laptop drive up as slave and copy files off

    sounds like good luck from here

    > Yes the hardware is compatible. I do not want to finish
    this install,
    > I want to get some files off the drive and do a clean
    install. Do you
    > know what file/folder/registry settings tells Win2k to
    enter setup?

    > Rick

    Greetings --

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting Win2K? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx)

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are Win2K device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for and sold with Win9x/Me
    very often do not meet Win2K's much more stringent hardware quality
    requirements. This is particularly true of many models in Compaq's
    consumer-class Presario product line or HP's consumer-class Pavilion
    product line. Win2K, like WinNT before it, is quite sensitive to
    borderline defective hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard
    drives) that will still support Win9x.

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    "Rick" <rwbaker1@swbell.net> wrote in message
    > My laptop gets stuck "registering components" during install. I
    > have
    > restarted many times and let the computer sit for about 30 hours (it
    > actually made some progress after about 12 hours then, no more).
    > The
    > drive is Fat32, so I can boot from a Win98 boot CD and get to the
    > hard
    > drive.
    >
    > What is it that Win2k sees at boot time that says "run setup, i did
    > not finish last time?" Do I need to rename/delete some file or
    > folder
    > so it will attempt to boot normally?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Rick