Is there detectable difference between the "old" HLN and t..

Couple of questions:

Has anyone A-B viewed the two versions of the Samsung DLP line, the N
vs the P?

Is there a detectable difference?

In our small market here, there are few stores that have anything at
all, and to ask that both be in the same store and on the same channel
is asking waay too much.

So, for those blessed by side by side viewing, is there a difference
that is worth waiting (and paying) for with the new series?

Also, as a newcomer to the dlp stuff, I understand that one of the
complaints on the Samsung is that it has a motor driving a wheel that
provides color to the chip. Do the new ones use this same technology?
Are there ANY dlp projection sets that have a more no moving parts
approach, or do all dlp sets have to use this approach, and are they
doomed to forever?

Thanks for any help you can give in answering these concerns.
5 answers Last reply
More about detectable difference

    Bouncer wrote:
    > Couple of questions:
    >
    > Has anyone A-B viewed the two versions of the Samsung DLP line, the N
    > vs the P?

    Our local Best Buy did have these sets side-by-side. As they were set
    up at that time, I really thought they both were pretty nice displays.
    That said, over on the AVS Forums many folks feel that the newer HLP
    pictures are a little "softer" than the more "crisp" HLN sets and thus
    depending on the source may either be described as "more pleasing" or
    "lacking some detail or crispness" - it's obviously in the eye of the
    beholder. LOL

    Just to complicate your life, the HLN series had the Texas Instrument
    HD-2 chip. The HLP series models ending in 63 (i.e. 5063, 5663, or 6163)
    have the HD-3 chip. Now out, and in the stores, are the XX85 series
    which have the HD-2+ chip and even more promise. (Also, other
    manufacturers have HD-2+ models out now.)

    All of the Samsung HD-3 and HD-2+ sets have seven-segment color wheels.
    I believe the "old" HLN's have a six-segment color wheel. I believe
    all of the other manufacturers now entering the DLP race have
    seven-segment wheels, but someone else may want to weigh in on that.

    Jerry

    Bouncer <humz@alot.net> wrote in

    > Has anyone A-B viewed the two versions of the Samsung DLP line, the N
    > vs the P?
    >
    > Is there a detectable difference?

    There was an audio sync problem with HLN which should be fixed in HLP
    series.

    wabbit

    "Bouncer" <humz@alot.net> wrote in message
    > Couple of questions:
    > Also, as a newcomer to the dlp stuff, I understand that one of the
    > complaints on the Samsung is that it has a motor driving a wheel that
    > provides color to the chip. Do the new ones use this same technology?
    > Are there ANY dlp projection sets that have a more no moving parts
    > approach, or do all dlp sets have to use this approach, and are they
    > doomed to forever?
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give in answering these concerns.

    All the single-chip DLP systems will have the color wheel. Only a very few
    high end projectors use a 3-chip system which needs no color wheel. Of
    course LCD optical engines use 3 panels and have no color wheel.

    Reading this, is there a flaw in the old advertising addage that the
    higher thenumber of a product or release the "newer and better" it is,

    that is, does the 2+ have an advantage over the 3, which your message
    implies?

    Geez, this is complicated. Give me a great looking set and be done
    with it!

    Hopeful wrote:

    > that is, does the 2+ have an advantage over the 3, which your message
    > implies?

    The HD-2+ has a contrast ratio of 2500:1 versus the HD-3's 1500:1

    The HD-2+ has the so-called dimple fix which should provided for darker
    blacks, a short coming in all DLP displays.

    The HD-3 is all about being designed for high volume, low cost
    production and is physically a smaller chip than the HD-2+

    Again, which has the better picture is completely in the eye of the
    beholder.

    Jerry

HDTV Samsung Home Theatre