Cisco 831 router vs high end home routers

frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Can anyone tel me how the performane of an entry level office router such as the cisco 831 would compare to a high end home router such as a dlink 4100? Now i know the cisco router probably has a better firewall and far more features. What id like to know is the performance lan-wan, wan-lan throughput, simultaneous connections...etc?? Do these entry level Cisco routers perform better than a high end home router or really just offer more features?? What kind of cpu does the 831 use?? I know the Dlink uses the Ubicom IP 3000 250mhz chip, and the Cisco uses a Motorola cpu but im not sure which one?? Any one have any info??

Caine775

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I don't know what the performance difference's may be.
I can tell you that mainting the Cisco will be pricey. You'll have to pay for firmware updates, and to "unrestrict" certain features.

Ponk

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
Would recommend the cisco router. Again, the prices will be greater than a high-end home one, but what would you be using it for? Home use or a business purpose?

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Would recommend the cisco router. Again, the prices will be greater than a high-end home one, but what would you be using it for? Home use or a business purpose?
Let's see, the Cisco is more expensive, more of a PITA to maintain, and you have no idea what he is going to use it for, yet you recommend the Cisco? :roll:

Ponk

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
Yeah, kinda answered me own question...Then decided to find out what the recommendations are before recommending a router...So apologies for that!