Windows Firewall in Xp/SP2

March 10, 2005 11:59:07 AM

A nagging problem I could use some assistance with.Prior to loading SP2 when
it came available,my WinXP firewall was always on.Since loading the SP2
however,it will not stay active.Each day I must go to Start/Control
Panel/Windows Firewall and turn back on.
In the Start/Control Panel/Security Centre it shows firewall is active and
working.Don't understand this at all.
What is turning the firewall off everytime I boot?.If I don't turn it back
on manually,using the MBSA tells me I'm not protected
properly?.Comments/Solutions appreciated.Thank you.SS

More about : windows firewall sp2

March 10, 2005 3:07:06 PM

You have no software firewalls installed? They will turn off the WF
automatically.
It's wise to have another firewall as WF only protects incoming.

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
>A nagging problem I could use some assistance with.Prior to loading SP2
>when
> it came available,my WinXP firewall was always on.Since loading the SP2
> however,it will not stay active.Each day I must go to Start/Control
> Panel/Windows Firewall and turn back on.
> In the Start/Control Panel/Security Centre it shows firewall is active and
> working.Don't understand this at all.
> What is turning the firewall off everytime I boot?.If I don't turn it back
> on manually,using the MBSA tells me I'm not protected
> properly?.Comments/Solutions appreciated.Thank you.SS
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 6:13:06 PM

To play safe, you might want to make sure your antivirus app is up to date
and run a scan. Also, download, install and run Ad Aware to check for any
malware, www.lavasoftusa.com.

If you are clear, open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools and open
Services. Scroll to Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing and be
sure it is set to automatic. If not, double click this item and set Startup
Type to Automatic from the dropdown box.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"SwathingScientist" <SwathingScientist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:EC881820-2459-4223-BF2A-C4F3E127E253@microsoft.com...
>A nagging problem I could use some assistance with.Prior to loading SP2
>when
> it came available,my WinXP firewall was always on.Since loading the SP2
> however,it will not stay active.Each day I must go to Start/Control
> Panel/Windows Firewall and turn back on.
> In the Start/Control Panel/Security Centre it shows firewall is active and
> working.Don't understand this at all.
> What is turning the firewall off everytime I boot?.If I don't turn it back
> on manually,using the MBSA tells me I'm not protected
> properly?.Comments/Solutions appreciated.Thank you.SS
March 10, 2005 10:17:04 PM

Hi Peter,thx for the response.I do have another.Use ZoneAlarm,the freeware
product they issue.Checked with them some weeks ago and don't supply any
support for it other than their FAQ section,nothing there of any
value.However,I've had ZA all along,well before the SP2 download and the ZA
never interfered at all,problem didn't rear it's head until after SP2.Am told
that the WinXP firewall is the only one,including the ZA protection that
guards against viruses coming in thru the Msn/Yahoo IM.The way that computers
are being snatched these days,I wouldn't even want to try killing the ZA temp
to re-boot and see if the firewall is still active.Has to be a way to keep
the thing active.Just the day I don't remember to turn it on,will be the day
I get caught.Further comments or ideas?.Thx Bruce--St.Catharines

"Peter" wrote:

> You have no software firewalls installed? They will turn off the WF
> automatically.
> It's wise to have another firewall as WF only protects incoming.
>

> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> XP Home SP2.
> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
> "SwathingScientist" <SwathingScientist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:EC881820-2459-4223-BF2A-C4F3E127E253@microsoft.com...
> >A nagging problem I could use some assistance with.Prior to loading SP2
> >when
> > it came available,my WinXP firewall was always on.Since loading the SP2
> > however,it will not stay active.Each day I must go to Start/Control
> > Panel/Windows Firewall and turn back on.
> > In the Start/Control Panel/Security Centre it shows firewall is active and
> > working.Don't understand this at all.
> > What is turning the firewall off everytime I boot?.If I don't turn it back
> > on manually,using the MBSA tells me I'm not protected
> > properly?.Comments/Solutions appreciated.Thank you.SS

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:35:08 PM

Hi Michael:Indeed,I am so what paranoid where it comes to any sort of
spyware/adware etc.I run the Microsoft Anti-spy Beta/Spybot/AdAware SE
personal/one called CCleaner/another called X-Cleaner/CWShredder/HiJack
This/and iSysCleaner.2 Reg cleaners.My AV is by FAR the best on the Internet
today(Avast)auto-updated and never needs to be run as is always
running/watching and is shown in ZoneAlarm screens as active and also
watching emails in/out.Also have Computer Associates AV that Microsoft gave
away to us for 1 year,it runs every 2nd day at 6pmEST so that scan is done
when news is over.It updates auto also.Checked the Firewall as you suggested
in Admin Tools and is "started" & "Automatic".Something,I don't know
what,keeps turning the one firewall off and a tech from Microsoft says that
the WinXP firewall(prior to SP2)is the only one that guards against threats
coming in from either Yahoo/Msn IM's.I'm listening and appreciate your
help,so if you have any other clues,please do pass them on.Thx.Bruce St.Kitts

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> To play safe, you might want to make sure your antivirus app is up to date
> and run a scan. Also, download, install and run Ad Aware to check for any
> malware, www.lavasoftusa.com.
>
> If you are clear, open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools and open
> Services. Scroll to Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing and be
> sure it is set to automatic. If not, double click this item and set Startup
> Type to Automatic from the dropdown box.
>
> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "SwathingScientist" <SwathingScientist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:EC881820-2459-4223-BF2A-C4F3E127E253@microsoft.com...
> >A nagging problem I could use some assistance with.Prior to loading SP2
> >when
> > it came available,my WinXP firewall was always on.Since loading the SP2
> > however,it will not stay active.Each day I must go to Start/Control
> > Panel/Windows Firewall and turn back on.
> > In the Start/Control Panel/Security Centre it shows firewall is active and
> > working.Don't understand this at all.
> > What is turning the firewall off everytime I boot?.If I don't turn it back
> > on manually,using the MBSA tells me I'm not protected
> > properly?.Comments/Solutions appreciated.Thank you.SS

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:56:30 PM

As far as I know, the MS tech is incorrect.

You really only need one firewall and the XP firewall only blocks incoming
attacks. Anything that phones home, any Trojan, etc., it would not pick up.
Hence, many prefer to use a different firewall. It's possible that Zone
Alarm is turning it off but since you have ZA, the XP Firewall is
unnecessary.

Do you use Yahoo and MSN's IM? If not, then it is irrelevant. If yes, I'm
pretty sure ZA deals with it and certainly would alert you to any incoming
attack. Also, if you are connected through a router as well as using a
software firewall, that should also give you added protection.

--

message news:D 29BC104-B7F9-4665-8261-FD6D68C41F77@microsoft.com...
> Hi Michael:Indeed,I am so what paranoid where it comes to any sort of
> spyware/adware etc.I run the Microsoft Anti-spy Beta/Spybot/AdAware SE
> personal/one called CCleaner/another called X-Cleaner/CWShredder/HiJack
> This/and iSysCleaner.2 Reg cleaners.My AV is by FAR the best on the
> Internet
> today(Avast)auto-updated and never needs to be run as is always
> running/watching and is shown in ZoneAlarm screens as active and also
> watching emails in/out.Also have Computer Associates AV that Microsoft
> gave
> away to us for 1 year,it runs every 2nd day at 6pmEST so that scan is done
> when news is over.It updates auto also.Checked the Firewall as you
> suggested
> in Admin Tools and is "started" & "Automatic".Something,I don't know
> what,keeps turning the one firewall off and a tech from Microsoft says
> that
> the WinXP firewall(prior to SP2)is the only one that guards against
> threats
> coming in from either Yahoo/Msn IM's.I'm listening and appreciate your
> help,so if you have any other clues,please do pass them on.Thx.Bruce
> St.Kitts
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> To play safe, you might want to make sure your antivirus app is up to
>> date
>> and run a scan. Also, download, install and run Ad Aware to check for
>> any
>> malware, www.lavasoftusa.com.
>>
>> If you are clear, open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools and open
>> Services. Scroll to Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing and be
>> sure it is set to automatic. If not, double click this item and set
>> Startup
>> Type to Automatic from the dropdown box.
>>
>> --
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>>
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "SwathingScientist" <SwathingScientist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:EC881820-2459-4223-BF2A-C4F3E127E253@microsoft.com...
>> >A nagging problem I could use some assistance with.Prior to loading SP2
>> >when
>> > it came available,my WinXP firewall was always on.Since loading the SP2
>> > however,it will not stay active.Each day I must go to Start/Control
>> > Panel/Windows Firewall and turn back on.
>> > In the Start/Control Panel/Security Centre it shows firewall is active
>> > and
>> > working.Don't understand this at all.
>> > What is turning the firewall off everytime I boot?.If I don't turn it
>> > back
>> > on manually,using the MBSA tells me I'm not protected
>> > properly?.Comments/Solutions appreciated.Thank you.SS

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:37:04 PM

Okay,then.It's just so frustrating not knowing why it get's turned off each
time I close for the day.SP2 is supposedly got it's own firewall which is on
by default.That,in addition to the ZoneAlarm,I have competant coverage.Use
the IM's on a regular basis pretty much worldwide.
No Router here.I use the Speedstream DSL modem with a back-up dial-up
available if anything goes wrong with DSL.
What I didn't say before to either of you is that with the WinXP firewall
NOT active,if I go to my Internet Coonections,none of the 3 ports are
firewalled until I turn the thing on.That's where I feel the danger is.Once
it's on,then all 3 turn to "Firewalled".Appreciate your patience with
me,thx.Bruce

> [...]

> > threats
> > coming in from either Yahoo/Msn IM's.I'm listening and appreciate your
> > help,so if you have any other clues,please do pass them on.Thx.Bruce
> > St.Kitts
> >
> > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> To play safe, you might want to make sure your antivirus app is up to
> >> date
> >> and run a scan. Also, download, install and run Ad Aware to check for
> >> any
> >> malware, www.lavasoftusa.com.
> >>
> >> If you are clear, open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools and open
> >> Services. Scroll to Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing and be
> >> sure it is set to automatic. If not, double click this item and set
> >> Startup
> >> Type to Automatic from the dropdown box.
> >>
> >> --
> >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

March 11, 2005 8:11:17 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. I use McAfee which turns off WF.

--
message news:2BF2FD1A-3F9F-4CD4-A74A-13B3278F4250@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > today(Avast)auto-updated and never needs to be run as is always
>> > running/watching and is shown in ZoneAlarm screens as active and also
>> > watching emails in/out.Also have Computer Associates AV that Microsoft
>> > gave
>> > away to us for 1 year,it runs every 2nd day at 6pmEST so that scan is
>> > done
>> > when news is over.It updates auto also.Checked the Firewall as you
>> > suggested
>> > in Admin Tools and is "started" & "Automatic".Something,I don't know
>> > what,keeps turning the one firewall off and a tech from Microsoft says
>> > that
>> > the WinXP firewall(prior to SP2)is the only one that guards against
>> > threats
>> > coming in from either Yahoo/Msn IM's.I'm listening and appreciate your
>> > help,so if you have any other clues,please do pass them on.Thx.Bruce

March 11, 2005 2:42:03 PM

I have to agree with Peter, you likely have an application that is shutting
it down.

Did you run a check at Shields Up at www.grc.com to determine if the ports
are open? In other words, did you use an outside port scanner or some
internal app?

--
> [...]

>> > today(Avast)auto-updated and never needs to be run as is always
>> > running/watching and is shown in ZoneAlarm screens as active and also
>> > watching emails in/out.Also have Computer Associates AV that Microsoft
>> > gave
>> > away to us for 1 year,it runs every 2nd day at 6pmEST so that scan is
>> > done
>> > when news is over.It updates auto also.Checked the Firewall as you
>> > suggested
>> > in Admin Tools and is "started" & "Automatic".Something,I don't know
>> > what,keeps turning the one firewall off and a tech from Microsoft says
>> > that
>> > the WinXP firewall(prior to SP2)is the only one that guards against
>> > threats
>> > coming in from either Yahoo/Msn IM's.I'm listening and appreciate your
>> > help,so if you have any other clues,please do pass them on.Thx.Bruce

March 11, 2005 4:11:04 PM

Well,I see we are very much of like mind.Indeed,I choose to stop by Shields
Up about twice a month.PC Pitstop too,as well as several other places.
Took a chance and sidelined the ZA for a few hours today and purposely
re-booted 4 times.Each time,the firewall was still not active,so it isn't ZA
doing it.
Seems to me to be an awful security threat especially when you go into your
Internet Connections and find that all 3 of the main ports to Internet are
not firewalled without the WinXP firewall.
It would appear no-one knows how to cause this feature to stay active so
best not be continually flogging the issue.My sincere thanks for the feedback
on this issue.As a wise man once said:"Behind every success is a succession
of failures".Bruce

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> I have to agree with Peter, you likely have an application that is shutting
> it down.
>
> Did you run a check at Shields Up at www.grc.com to determine if the ports
> are open? In other words, did you use an outside port scanner or some
> internal app?
>
> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
>
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "SwathingScientist" <SwathingScientist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:2BF2FD1A-3F9F-4CD4-A74A-13B3278F4250@microsoft.com...
> > Okay,then.It's just so frustrating not knowing why it get's turned off
> > each
> > time I close for the day.SP2 is supposedly got it's own firewall which is
> > on
> > by default.That,in addition to the ZoneAlarm,I have competant coverage.Use
> > the IM's on a regular basis pretty much worldwide.
> > No Router here.I use the Speedstream DSL modem with a back-up dial-up
> > available if anything goes wrong with DSL.
> > What I didn't say before to either of you is that with the WinXP firewall
> > NOT active,if I go to my Internet Coonections,none of the 3 ports are
> > firewalled until I turn the thing on.That's where I feel the danger
> > is.Once
> > it's on,then all 3 turn to "Firewalled".Appreciate your patience with
> > me,thx.Bruce
> >
> > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> As far as I know, the MS tech is incorrect.
> >>
> >> You really only need one firewall and the XP firewall only blocks
> >> incoming
> >> attacks. Anything that phones home, any Trojan, etc., it would not pick
> >> up.
> >> Hence, many prefer to use a different firewall. It's possible that Zone
> >> Alarm is turning it off but since you have ZA, the XP Firewall is
> >> unnecessary.
> >>
> >> Do you use Yahoo and MSN's IM? If not, then it is irrelevant. If yes,
> >> I'm
> >> pretty sure ZA deals with it and certainly would alert you to any
> >> incoming
> >> attack. Also, if you are connected through a router as well as using a
> >> software firewall, that should also give you added protection.
> >>
> >> --
> >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
> >>
> >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User
> >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
> >>

> >> "SwathingScientist" <SwathingScientist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> >> in
> >> message news:D 29BC104-B7F9-4665-8261-FD6D68C41F77@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 5:07:00 PM

Except that we can only know what might cause this from XP, we have no idea
of anything else installed and you telling us that would be useless. You
need to look at what is starting when the computer starts, perhaps disabling
items one by one until you find the culprit as there is nothing of which I'm
aware in XP that would disable the Windows Firewall.

Also, disabling ZA won't necessarily stop it from disabling the firewall.
If it's made some change in the registry that causes Windows Firewall to be
disabled, ZA, in essence, could still be the cause.

Are you connecting through a router? Most routers have hardware firewalls
and in conjunction with your software firewall, usually closes all the ports
or otherwise makes the system do invisible that any open ports would not be
seen. I connect through a Netgear router, RP 114 and use Outpost Firewall
from Agnitum, www.agnitum.com, I run with Windows Firewall turned off and
don't seem to have the issue you describe.

--

message news:FA0328E3-BE90-4959-83EF-0FD21BD1224F@microsoft.com...

!