Quick Launch Toolbar

I am unable to get my quick launch toolbar in windows 2000
professional to come up. Error message says "Cannot
Create Toolbar". Any suggestions?
11 answers Last reply
More about quick launch toolbar

    If Quick Launch folder is missing; create a new folder named "Quick Launch"
    and fill it with the appropriate shortcuts.
    Location is: c:\documents and settings\"username"\application
    data\microsoft\Internet Explorer\

    Make sure you can view hidden files or you wont be able to see the
    Application Data folder

    --
    Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
    Enterprise Platform Support

    "Warren" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am unable to get my quick launch toolbar in windows 2000
    > professional to come up. Error message says "Cannot
    > Create Toolbar". Any suggestions?

    I have the same problem too. I started with the Knowledge Base fix for "Cannot create toolbar for", and quickly determined it did not refer to XP. I tried to find the quick launch folder with the "Search" function of the Start menu, but it did not find it. I have found references to where it is supposed to be in XP (C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer), but found no "Application Data" folder in my [YourUserName] folder. I then plugged Ramesh's info (%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch)
    into the "Run" box, and I found Quick Launch! (I had gone to the fix-it URL, but when I downloaded and tried it, it told me that I HAD Quick Launch.) Now here's the truly weird thing: When I back upwards out of the Application Data folder, I get to the [YourUserName] folder. . .but it lists no Application Data folder! In other words, the only way to GET to the Application Data folder, or its Quick Launch sub-folder (and, presumably, into any other sub-folder within Application Data) is through a "Run" command like Ramesh's! I am stumped for what to do next.
    --
    Robert

    "Elijah Landreth [MSFT]" wrote:

    > If Quick Launch folder is missing; create a new folder named "Quick Launch"
    > and fill it with the appropriate shortcuts.
    > Location is: c:\documents and settings\"username"\application
    > data\microsoft\Internet Explorer\
    >
    > Make sure you can view hidden files or you wont be able to see the
    > Application Data folder
    >
    > --
    > Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
    > Enterprise Platform Support

    > "Warren" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I am unable to get my quick launch toolbar in windows 2000
    > > professional to come up. Error message says "Cannot
    > > Create Toolbar". Any suggestions?

    Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden files
    and folders", then uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating system
    files"

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "purefog" wrote:
    <snip>
    In other words, the only way to GET to the Application Data folder, or its
    Quick Launch sub-folder (and, presumably, into any other sub-folder within
    Application Data) is through a "Run" command
    <snip>

    I am not at the affected computer, but suspect this "fix" will address the odd little problem. It still doesn't tell me what to do about the "cannot create toolbar" glitch, where I have a complete QL folder, stocked with the appropriate shortcuts.

    I am beginning to think the only solution is that there just IS no such thing as a free Launch. . .
    --
    Robert

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden files
    > and folders", then uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating system
    > files"
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "purefog" wrote:
    > <snip>
    > In other words, the only way to GET to the Application Data folder, or its
    > Quick Launch sub-folder (and, presumably, into any other sub-folder within
    > Application Data) is through a "Run" command
    > <snip>

    Appears it may be the wave of some sort of new spyware/malware.

    --

    "purefog" wrote:
    |I am not at the affected computer, but suspect this "fix" will address the
    odd little problem. It still doesn't tell me what to do about the "cannot
    create toolbar" glitch, where I have a complete QL folder, stocked with the
    appropriate shortcuts.

    | I am beginning to think the only solution is that there just IS no such
    thing as a free Launch. . .
    | --
    | Robert
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Well, Mr. Microsoft Professional, since it seems to be designed to afflict a Windows product, perhaps you and some of your colleagues will take a small part of Mr. Gates's budget and figure out a fix? We are all patiently waiting. Or at least waiting.
    --
    Robert

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Appears it may be the wave of some sort of new spyware/malware.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "purefog" wrote:
    > |I am not at the affected computer, but suspect this "fix" will address the
    > odd little problem. It still doesn't tell me what to do about the "cannot
    > create toolbar" glitch, where I have a complete QL folder, stocked with the
    > appropriate shortcuts.
    > |
    > | I am beginning to think the only solution is that there just IS no such
    > thing as a free Launch. . .
    > | --
    > | Robert

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    purefog wrote:

    > Well, Mr. Microsoft Professional, since it seems to be designed to afflict a Windows product, perhaps you and some of your colleagues will take a small part of Mr. Gates's budget and figure out a fix? We are all patiently waiting. Or at least waiting.
    > --
    > Robert

    While you are waiting, Robert (patiently or otherwise), perhaps you
    could use the time to find out what a Microsoft MVP actually is and
    then consider whether your tone is appropriate. (Hint, they do not
    work for Microsoft, they volunteer their time and you could have
    discovered everything about them by a simple, 2-minute Google search).

    Most of us thoroughly appreciate them.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    No, I'm just a snide m***f*** who likes to go off half-cocked. Sadly, it is a genetic disability.
    --
    Robert

    "WoofWoof" wrote:

    > purefog wrote:
    > >
    > > Well, Mr. Microsoft Professional, since it seems to be designed to afflict a Windows product, perhaps you and some of your colleagues will take a small part of Mr. Gates's budget and figure out a fix? We are all patiently waiting. Or at least waiting.
    > > --
    > > Robert
    >
    > While you are waiting, Robert (patiently or otherwise), perhaps you
    > could use the time to find out what a Microsoft MVP actually is and
    > then consider whether your tone is appropriate. (Hint, they do not
    > work for Microsoft, they volunteer their time and you could have
    > discovered everything about them by a simple, 2-minute Google search).
    >
    > Most of us thoroughly appreciate them.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    While the remarks from purefog don't bother me, your reply makes the 8000 or
    so replies I made in the last year all worth while.

    Thank you.

    --

    "WoofWoof" wrote:
    | While you are waiting, Robert (patiently or otherwise), perhaps you
    | could use the time to find out what a Microsoft MVP actually is and
    | then consider whether your tone is appropriate. (Hint, they do not
    | work for Microsoft, they volunteer their time and you could have
    | discovered everything about them by a simple, 2-minute Google search).
    |
    | Most of us thoroughly appreciate them.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    While my ignorant impertinence surely disentitles me to a solution, perhaps someone will answer one of my fellow-sufferers and I can eavesdrop.
    --
    Robert

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > While the remarks from purefog don't bother me, your reply makes the 8000 or
    > so replies I made in the last year all worth while.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "WoofWoof" wrote:
    > | While you are waiting, Robert (patiently or otherwise), perhaps you
    > | could use the time to find out what a Microsoft MVP actually is and
    > | then consider whether your tone is appropriate. (Hint, they do not
    > | work for Microsoft, they volunteer their time and you could have
    > | discovered everything about them by a simple, 2-minute Google search).
    > |
    > | Most of us thoroughly appreciate them.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Warren wrote:
    > *I am unable to get my quick launch toolbar in windows 2000
    > professional to come up. Error message says "Cannot
    > Create Toolbar". Any suggestions? *

    I just had the same problem and read multiple threads on multiple sites
    that sugges
    ted to reload W2K and use spybot ect. DON'T DO THIS! Since I did not
    wish t
    o reload all or most of my programs to complete the system registry,

    I found out in MS help on the computer quick launch is a part of IE.
    So I d
    ecided to try to re-install IE 6.1 update and it will ask to overwrite
    the f
    iles, select YES. EVERYTHING will return as it was.
    Now we all know
    PAPADevine

    --
    papadevine

Windows 2000 Microsoft Quick Launch Error Message Windows