Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Quick Launch Toolbar

Tags:
  • Windows 2000
  • Microsoft
  • Quick Launch
  • Error Message
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 1:09:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I am unable to get my quick launch toolbar in windows 2000
professional to come up. Error message says "Cannot
Create Toolbar". Any suggestions?

More about : quick launch toolbar

Anonymous
April 30, 2004 4:54:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

If Quick Launch folder is missing; create a new folder named "Quick Launch"
and fill it with the appropriate shortcuts.
Location is: c:\documents and settings\"username"\application
data\microsoft\Internet Explorer\

Make sure you can view hidden files or you wont be able to see the
Application Data folder

--
Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
Enterprise Platform Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Warren" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6bd901c42ecd$737bc0c0$a001280a@phx.gbl...
> I am unable to get my quick launch toolbar in windows 2000
> professional to come up. Error message says "Cannot
> Create Toolbar". Any suggestions?
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 8:53:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I have the same problem too. I started with the Knowledge Base fix for "Cannot create toolbar for", and quickly determined it did not refer to XP. I tried to find the quick launch folder with the "Search" function of the Start menu, but it did not find it. I have found references to where it is supposed to be in XP (C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer), but found no "Application Data" folder in my [YourUserName] folder. I then plugged Ramesh's info (%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch)
into the "Run" box, and I found Quick Launch! (I had gone to the fix-it URL, but when I downloaded and tried it, it told me that I HAD Quick Launch.) Now here's the truly weird thing: When I back upwards out of the Application Data folder, I get to the [YourUserName] folder. . .but it lists no Application Data folder! In other words, the only way to GET to the Application Data folder, or its Quick Launch sub-folder (and, presumably, into any other sub-folder within Application Data) is through a "Run" command like Ramesh's! I am stumped for what to do next.
--
Robert


"Elijah Landreth [MSFT]" wrote:

> If Quick Launch folder is missing; create a new folder named "Quick Launch"
> and fill it with the appropriate shortcuts.
> Location is: c:\documents and settings\"username"\application
> data\microsoft\Internet Explorer\
>
> Make sure you can view hidden files or you wont be able to see the
> Application Data folder
>
> --
> Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
> Enterprise Platform Support
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> "Warren" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:6bd901c42ecd$737bc0c0$a001280a@phx.gbl...
> > I am unable to get my quick launch toolbar in windows 2000
> > professional to come up. Error message says "Cannot
> > Create Toolbar". Any suggestions?
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 12:44:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden files
and folders", then uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating system
files"

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"purefog" wrote:
<snip>
In other words, the only way to GET to the Application Data folder, or its
Quick Launch sub-folder (and, presumably, into any other sub-folder within
Application Data) is through a "Run" command
<snip>
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 10:45:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I am not at the affected computer, but suspect this "fix" will address the odd little problem. It still doesn't tell me what to do about the "cannot create toolbar" glitch, where I have a complete QL folder, stocked with the appropriate shortcuts.

I am beginning to think the only solution is that there just IS no such thing as a free Launch. . .
--
Robert


"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for "Show hidden files
> and folders", then uncheck the box for "Hide protected operating system
> files"
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>
> "purefog" wrote:
> <snip>
> In other words, the only way to GET to the Application Data folder, or its
> Quick Launch sub-folder (and, presumably, into any other sub-folder within
> Application Data) is through a "Run" command
> <snip>
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 12:27:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Appears it may be the wave of some sort of new spyware/malware.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"purefog" wrote:
|I am not at the affected computer, but suspect this "fix" will address the
odd little problem. It still doesn't tell me what to do about the "cannot
create toolbar" glitch, where I have a complete QL folder, stocked with the
appropriate shortcuts.
|
| I am beginning to think the only solution is that there just IS no such
thing as a free Launch. . .
| --
| Robert
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 1:28:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Well, Mr. Microsoft Professional, since it seems to be designed to afflict a Windows product, perhaps you and some of your colleagues will take a small part of Mr. Gates's budget and figure out a fix? We are all patiently waiting. Or at least waiting.
--
Robert


"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Appears it may be the wave of some sort of new spyware/malware.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>
> "purefog" wrote:
> |I am not at the affected computer, but suspect this "fix" will address the
> odd little problem. It still doesn't tell me what to do about the "cannot
> create toolbar" glitch, where I have a complete QL folder, stocked with the
> appropriate shortcuts.
> |
> | I am beginning to think the only solution is that there just IS no such
> thing as a free Launch. . .
> | --
> | Robert
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 9:44:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

purefog wrote:
>
> Well, Mr. Microsoft Professional, since it seems to be designed to afflict a Windows product, perhaps you and some of your colleagues will take a small part of Mr. Gates's budget and figure out a fix? We are all patiently waiting. Or at least waiting.
> --
> Robert

While you are waiting, Robert (patiently or otherwise), perhaps you
could use the time to find out what a Microsoft MVP actually is and
then consider whether your tone is appropriate. (Hint, they do not
work for Microsoft, they volunteer their time and you could have
discovered everything about them by a simple, 2-minute Google search).

Most of us thoroughly appreciate them.
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 9:44:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

No, I'm just a snide m***f*** who likes to go off half-cocked. Sadly, it is a genetic disability.
--
Robert


"WoofWoof" wrote:

>
>
> purefog wrote:
> >
> > Well, Mr. Microsoft Professional, since it seems to be designed to afflict a Windows product, perhaps you and some of your colleagues will take a small part of Mr. Gates's budget and figure out a fix? We are all patiently waiting. Or at least waiting.
> > --
> > Robert
>
> While you are waiting, Robert (patiently or otherwise), perhaps you
> could use the time to find out what a Microsoft MVP actually is and
> then consider whether your tone is appropriate. (Hint, they do not
> work for Microsoft, they volunteer their time and you could have
> discovered everything about them by a simple, 2-minute Google search).
>
> Most of us thoroughly appreciate them.
>
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 1:23:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

While the remarks from purefog don't bother me, your reply makes the 8000 or
so replies I made in the last year all worth while.

Thank you.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect


"WoofWoof" wrote:
| While you are waiting, Robert (patiently or otherwise), perhaps you
| could use the time to find out what a Microsoft MVP actually is and
| then consider whether your tone is appropriate. (Hint, they do not
| work for Microsoft, they volunteer their time and you could have
| discovered everything about them by a simple, 2-minute Google search).
|
| Most of us thoroughly appreciate them.
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 1:23:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

While my ignorant impertinence surely disentitles me to a solution, perhaps someone will answer one of my fellow-sufferers and I can eavesdrop.
--
Robert


"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> While the remarks from purefog don't bother me, your reply makes the 8000 or
> so replies I made in the last year all worth while.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
>
> "WoofWoof" wrote:
> | While you are waiting, Robert (patiently or otherwise), perhaps you
> | could use the time to find out what a Microsoft MVP actually is and
> | then consider whether your tone is appropriate. (Hint, they do not
> | work for Microsoft, they volunteer their time and you could have
> | discovered everything about them by a simple, 2-minute Google search).
> |
> | Most of us thoroughly appreciate them.
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 3:28:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Warren wrote:
> *I am unable to get my quick launch toolbar in windows 2000
> professional to come up. Error message says "Cannot
> Create Toolbar". Any suggestions? *

I just had the same problem and read multiple threads on multiple sites
that sugges
ted to reload W2K and use spybot ect. DON'T DO THIS! Since I did not
wish t
o reload all or most of my programs to complete the system registry,

I found out in MS help on the computer quick launch is a part of IE.
So I d
ecided to try to re-install IE 6.1 update and it will ask to overwrite
the f
iles, select YES. EVERYTHING will return as it was.
Now we all know
PAPADevine



--
papadevine
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
------------------------------------------------------------------------
View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message625814.html
!