No post--can someone provide some ideas?

notepad

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
I was trying to do a major upgrade today (basically everything but soundcard, hdd controller, and drives). I've built several systems before, but for some reason this one just isn't going. I'm hoping someone can think of something that maybe I missed.

Here's the equipment I was trying to install:
Asus P5N-E SLI mb
C2D E6600 Intel proc (retail w/ retail heatsink)
2 gb ram (2 dimms)
Antec 650w psu
(and of course video, sound, hdd controller card)

I first got the psu, mb, cpu, 2 dimms and video installed earlier. Left out the sound and hdd controller to check for post on what I had so far. It was not posting. I would press the power button, and nothing other than a vague sound (not even a click) in the PSU. The standby LED was on on the mb, but that was it. The cpu fan was not spinning.

After tinkering around a lot, reseating everything, including the CPU. I tried removing the video card. I removed power connectors from all drives and chassis fans, leaving only the cpu fan, the 24pin mb power, and the 4pin 12v power. Nada. 1 dimm at a time--nada. CPU still won't spin.

I finally found that if I unplugged the 4 pin 12v power connector on the mb, I would get the cpu fan to spin--which is more than it would do otherwise. But every time I plugged in that 4 pin connector, it would go back to acting "dead" except for the standby LED.

Well, I figured maybe it was a problem with either the 4pin connector on the psu, or the mb plug for 4pin power. So, I tried my old psu, and sure enough exact same behavior. I figure at this point, to the best of my determination (I had no other mb or cpu to swap), it was the mb.

So, I bought another mb of the same kind. Installed it, this time with a minimal config--cpu, cpu fan, no video, one dimm, no power to any other devices. Had both the 24pin connector and the 4pin 12v installed. Powered on--yay! the processor fan actually worked this time.

So I shut down and installed the video card to check for video. Nothing. Now I noticed the cpu fan was not spinning again. So I removed the video card, thinking that might be a problem. But now, it is back to the same old behavior--nothing but standby LED, no cpu fan spinning. I unplugged the 4pin 12v to see what would happen. Go to power on--system emits a long shrieking beep and the cpu fan spins again. Great, so it's sort of like before. Power off, and try replugging the 4pin. Dead. Unplug the 4pin. The cpu fan will spin briefly, but that's it. It won't even beep any more.

So, any suggestions? I've tried reapplying some thermal paste, reseating the proc, etc. Does it sound like a bunk proc? Any ideas on the differing behavior when I added the new mb and then the system started acting dead again? I appreciate any help as I need to get this system working.

/edit: I just thought of something else to ask. The P5N-E has 6 places for screws. I have mb standoffs installed, and have the 6 screws in place (turned them -just-until they stopped turning--didn't tighten them any further to avoid overtightening.) My chassis has additional places for mb standoffs, however. Is it better to have the additional standoffs in place to support the mb and let it flex less while I install components, or should I not have the additional standoffs (ie could they short something.)?

/editing for clarity and to remove extraneous info

Sirfiroth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
You might try booting the system with only one stick of ram and video card.
Sounds like it could either be the memory, video card or PSU more than likely the PSU sounds like the 12v rail may have a short. I am no expert on these things but I have had a similar problem with MSI board.
GL

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
putting standoffs anywhere the mb doesn't have holes without insulation is a bad idea. if you feel you need the extra support use a piece of electrical tape between the standoff and the mb (just fold tape over standoff)

notepad

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
putting standoffs anywhere the mb doesn't have holes without insulation is a bad idea. if you feel you need the extra support use a piece of electrical tape between the standoff and the mb (just fold tape over standoff)

Thanks, I'll try this tomorrow.

During my messing around, I did add extra standoffs to the 2nd mb, thinking I was getting too much flex when installing the heatsink (I have to press pretty hard to get the 4 posts to snap into place). Then it occured to me after making my original post that maybe they were causing a short by connecting mb traces with metal.. hence my edit.

I'll try tomorrow, by removing the standoffs or taping over them as you suggest.

notepad

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Just to give an update: I'm not getting anywhere :(

This morning, I removed the mb again, and took out all extra standoffs, going back to only using the 6 needed to match the screwholes. I had also cleaned off the most the excess heatsink compound and respread it. I took out the single dimm I had in the box to listen for memory beep codes. Nada. Reset the cmos again (including taking out the battery), and same behavior.

Still, with the 4pin 12v connector attached, I get no activity beyond the standby LED. With the 4pin disconnected, the cpu fan will spin and run for about 15 seconds before shutting off. No beeps either way.

This is with only the following config:
cpu installed, and cpu fan power attached
24pin power connector attached
4pin 12v power connector both attached and unattached
no dimms
no expansion cards of any sort
no power running to any other device
no keyboard or anything external beyond the power cord

/edit: Does anyone know what exactly that 4pin 12v power governs? Like does it primarily power the cpu, or does it primarily power expansion slots, or.. ? Perhaps if I knew exactly what it did besides provide extra power to the board for stability, I would have more of an idea of what to look for.

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
the 4 pin connector is for the proccessor
make sure you have the latest bios for your mb first, but if your getting no error beeps without ram or video card and since you had the same problem with a second power supply and you've already exchanged the motherboard i'd have to say it's the processor. it's possible that the extra installed standoffs took out your mb and processor but i believe you said you had the same problem before adding the extra standoffs