How to find my own security key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebradish

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
I have a home wireless network and forgot my security key (same as WEP?) My computer will still connect to the network, but I want to set up additional computers. Using the computer that is already set up and connected, can I somehow figure out what the security key is? Some detailed instruction would be helpful.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Sometimes the router admin screen for the wireless encryption setup will display the passkey you entered. Stupid thing for them to do, but some do it.

Otherwise, the easiest thing is to log back onto the admin screen of your router and set it to something else. Just make sure you KNOW what it is this time, because as soon as you re-set it, your existing computer will lose its connection and you will need to re-establish using the new key.

That's why it is best to do this kind of thing from a wired connection, in case you screw it up, the wired connection will always work.

If you do mess up and then can't connect to anything, you'll need to do a hard reset on your router to take it back to factory settings.

flyingkoss

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I have the same issue. I don't see any where an "admin screen for the base station. I don't see anywhere in the maunual how to do a "hard reset on the router. Microsoft does not offer support for this product any longer as it has been discontinued, they also do not offer replacements because those have been tossed. Can anyone help

G

You need to log in to your router -- this is usually by typing its IP address into the address bar of your internet browser while the computer is connected to the router via an athernet cable. If successful a login box will appear demanding user name (usually, admin) and password (often, password). Once in the router's user interface turn off wireless security and log out. Then try to connect by wireless only. If successful, set a new wireless security passphrase.

Obviously, this advice and more should be contained in the manual for the router -- if that is no longer available I think you should probably ditch the router for a later design which is still supported.

G

This kinda upsets me, as linksystem sat on the phone with me for over 2 hours, helping me connect their router! My warranty was way passed, but the guy did his best, and ultimately, I now have my laptop connected! He failed to give me a WEP number though, so that I might hook up my X-Box 360! So when I spent $100 on the X-box adapter, and called their customer service about it, they told me that it beyond their policy to tell me how to find my WEP! I know that there is a button on the back of the Linksystem router to reset, but Im scared that then I will have to do everything all over again, and LinkSystem now wants to charge me $29.95 to give me any information! Funny that their system was way out of warranty, when I called the first time, and now, Im asking for just a small thing, "I think"! So tell me Please! Isn't it a matter of a couple of clicks and knowing what & where to go, to find out the WEP number! Also, why was it not told to me that if I wanted to hook anything else up wirelessly, I would have to know this number?
So, Im thinking that I should just buy a new Router, but as Linksystem has pissed me off, is there a better system with better customer service! I saw a Net Gear system! Please Advise, thanks!

G

You need to connect to your router using an ethernet cable between it and your computer.

In the address bar of Internet Explorer type the router's IP address. You can check the IP address by starting a DOS box within Windows -- Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt.

In the DOS box type IPCONFIG /ALL and the list will include an entry marked gateway and the IP address next to it is usually the IP address of your router.

Back at Internet Explorer type in the address (usually 192.168.0.1 or similar) and a login box should appear. The User name is usually Admin and the Password may be admin or password or the router brand name or 1234.

If successful you should then see the router's user interface and be able to see the WEP passphrase or set a new one. Often with WEP and mixed brands you are better off applying the HEX code produced by the router directly to the other equipment (rather than the alphabetical passphrase).

If no joy I suggest you post a general call for help on your brand of router on various forums -- or buy a new or used router from a leading brand like Dlink, Linksys (or Netgear who have a good user forum).

mjsmith1982

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
As expressed above, you'll need an active internet connection to find this (which you won't be able to get wirelessly... if you don't already know the password).

Either plug your laptop directly into the router via a LAN cable or access another computer which is already connected to the router. Go into your command prompt and type ipconfig and hit [ENTER]. Note the number next to Default Gateway. Type this into the URL field of a web browser to access the user interface. You will be prompted for a user name and password. The user name should be Admin or admin, or may be left blank. The password could be password, admin, the brand of the router, 1234, or blank. Try a combination of these to get access. You will then be able to see the network key that you'll use when trying to connect with your laptop.

Mario6667777

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I have the information and everything, but I can't log into my router website.
I need that WEP for the Xbox 360. Jack, a computer repair guy and friend of my Mom, changed the Login and Password. What do I do?
E-Mail me at BillyThorton60@yahoo.com (That's right, no N in ThorNton, I was retarted and didn't know the guys name).

G

I have a home wireless network and forgot my security key (same as WEP?) My computer will still connect to the network, but I want to set up additional computers. Using the computer that is already set up and connected, can I somehow figure out what the security key is? Some detailed instruction would be helpful.

G

G

most wifi modems/routers come with a reset button on bottom of the unit. Try reseting the modem and then login to the default IPA 127.0.0.1 or the IPA specified in your user manual. You can then set up a new security key.

Black Rose

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I own a laptop and am attempting to connect it to the router I own. I am attemping to use my desktop computer to retrieve my "Network Security Key. "I followed the above instructions up until the point where I am required to login to the AMBIT using a username and password. I tried many of the suggested combinations, to no avail. It says that I must use a "Factory default username", and that the password is "user". What other combinations of usernames and passwords should I use to acess my Network Security Key? Thank you.

leclaire33

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
i'm having the same problem with connecting my 2nd laptop to my existing router and couldn't find the network security key. the box kept popping up to type it in and i tried a million passwords and nothing worked. so finally i called links company and they told me the same thing, that my warranty was up and i would have to pay $29.95 for the password or i could log on to the links website so i just started trying again on my own, so i right clicked on my internet service icon on the bottom right hand of my screen,then clicked troubleshoot, then finally a box popped up that had general,security tabs, and then i clicked on the security tab and it said pass phrase and then click show characters then it gave me the network security key password, but now i can't get the network security key box to pop up. hope this helps you

sam_07

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

roy124

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
This thread is getting a bit complicated.

I suggest that you TRY the solutions already posted. When they fail OPEN a new thread which can then be equipment specific otherwise the answer is chaos.

G

I have a network established it is called ,'80honda00' both laptops are on the same network and I restarted the one laptop to the original settings -- it no longer has the security key or passphrase in it and MY husband .... the reason why I set the computer back to the original settings is being no help to assist me in finging this. WE have a D-link router, What can I do ? Please Help ..... I have a HP presario

Status
Not open for further replies.