Popping/tweeting noise HELP

ravenosu

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
Hi! Ever since I upgraded my PC to an Asus A8V w/ 1.75 GB DDR400 and an AMD X2 4200 @ 2.2Ghz a long time ago I've been getting some really annoying crackling, popping and tweeting from my sound.

XP Pro SP2
ASUS A8V (New) :x
AMD X2 4200 2.2Ghz (New)
1.75 GB DDR400 (New)
x850 XTPE 256MB AGP card (New)
Linksys PCI Etherenet card LNE100TX
Soundblaster Live!

Now the problem only happens while I play a game (but not all the time, and not in every game). I also noticed that it happens in every game if I have a download running in the background (say im downloading something from filefornt.com while playing a singleplayer game like Dawn of War. I am almost convinced that this sound has some kind of relationship with the internet (most of the time).

I've formatted and reinstalled windows XP Pro, and even switched to XP 64 bit at one point, but the problem still persisted. I've even tried using the onboard sound and ethernet but that doesn't eliminate the problem either.

I wonder if it has something to do with Dual Core? Or maybe the motherboard itself is a bit out of wack?

I'm not quite sure what else I can say about this, please let me know if there is any more information that I can provide. Thanks for your time!

Dannymc283

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
I had a similar problem the other day with a computer at work, it turns out their was something wrong with the power supply causing weird sounds to come out of the speakers. Do you have another power supply handy?