System Shutdown day after build, help

olgraybeard

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Home built, ASUS P5N-ESLI, Conroe 6300, 2 gig A-Data 667, Biostar 7600 GT PCIe for now, Xion 600 watt PSU.

System up and ran for a day, looked good and than died. Board light is green indicating power to MB. Changed out power supply just in case, still no effect.

Start button, absolutely nothing. No sound, no attempt to start, no beep, no nothing. Disconnected everything and connected just motherboard with all power connector and nothing. CPU fan no start, nothing.

Question? CPU or Motherboard?

Do not have access to either, just curious which to try and get replaced? Or any other suggestions?

Any and all help appreciated.

billystringer

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Could be your video card as well. Hard to really know without some known working parts to play with, but it sounds like you've done what you can with what you have. I would call some buds and see if they will loan you some spares. I've been there many times...

-The String

olgraybeard

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
I had built this for my brother. He is not very electronically inclined. He reported that he started getting static on his TV and on his monitor when it died. I get the feeling he did not turn it off right away (he is disabled and can not get around very fast).

He said he smelt nothing burning.

The cooler (do not have the model handy) is a large Thermaltake with 120 mm fan (ops found box for fan, I lied, Zalman CNPS7700) and I used Arctic Silver paste. Cleaned the surface good with denatured alcohol before applying anything. The fan is in place solid.

The PSU I tried was a new one from best buy, Antec Neo 550 watt. Took it back (way over priced but was a quick way to test the unit). I am back home now )brother lives about 160 miles away), may just take it to TigerDirect and give them 50 bucks to tell me which part is bad. They have lots of spares laying around, I am sure.