setup failure

I had a few problems with a machine that was running win
2k pro, so I decided to do a clean install. I use the 2k
disc to blow away the old partition, then I set up a new
partition and start the install; it formats the drive,
and it starts to install, but then it stops and I get the
blue screen saying "kmode exception not handled
ntoskrnl.exe". I do the same thing again, and I still
get the same error. I'm not very knowledgeable about
this stuff, but I don't think I should get that kind of
an error when I'm doing a clean install. I am going to
use a utility to write zeros to the drive, and then try
it again, but if anyone can shed any light on this, it
would help. Thanks.

You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"lizardman2" wrote:
|I had a few problems with a machine that was running win
| 2k pro, so I decided to do a clean install. I use the 2k
| disc to blow away the old partition, then I set up a new
| partition and start the install; it formats the drive,
| and it starts to install, but then it stops and I get the
| blue screen saying "kmode exception not handled
| ntoskrnl.exe". I do the same thing again, and I still
| get the same error. I'm not very knowledgeable about
| this stuff, but I don't think I should get that kind of
| an error when I'm doing a clean install. I am going to
| use a utility to write zeros to the drive, and then try
| it again, but if anyone can shed any light on this, it
| would help. Thanks.

Thanks for the quick response, Dave.
The drive controller, I believe, is ultra DMA. The hard
drive, a 40 gig WD, is the same one that was in the
machine when I did the original install with no
problems. I never had to install any separate drivers
for it. I did, however, just install a Norcent CD-RW,
and it seemed fine until I installed Nero, and then
uninstalled Nero because it was too complicated for my
girl to use (don't ask...) I wanted to install something
a little more user friendly for her. So I installed a
stripped version of easy cd creator, which seems to have
a pretty easy to use disc copier function. Ever since
then, anytime I would go to click on one of the CD
drives, I would get a message saying that access to the
drive/path was denied. I also could not attempt to play
an audio CD from either drive (open and attempt to play),
as I would get a message saying that Nero could not be
found and that it needed it to perform that function.
Yes, that was after I uninstalled Nero, and even changed
all of the file associations, it still looked for Nero.
But, if you throw a CD into the drive and close it, it
will autoplay. Go figure. so...

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect

>sorry...

as I was saying, I wanted to try to fix this by re-
installing win2k. I tried the easy way, by just re-
installing over the old one. This did not work, so I
decided to start with a clean install. I guess I should
have said this to begin with. But, since all of the
drivers I need, for the hard drive and cd drives, all
come from the os as it installs, I still don't see why I
would get the error message I received. Hope I didn't
confuse you...sorry for the rambling...I HATE COMPUTERS !
Thanks again for the help.

long story short...
I never had to install any separate drivers....I didn't
have any to install. all of the drivers came from the os.
thanks again.

Then yes you'll need the driver and do the F6 thing

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]