Logon Loop?

When I hit Ctrl Alt Delte (and then enter password), the
system looks like it is starting up (ie you here the
welcome music & see the wallpaper briefly, no icons, BUT
then, goes right back to the Ctrl Alt Delte logon screen.
Its like the logon process is caught in a loop??

I tried logon into "safe mode" but the same loop keeps
occuring. I know my password and domain are correct so
why is this "looping" back to logon screen?

Please help ASAP as this is my laptop and I am SOL without
it!

thanks
Mike
12 answers Last reply
More about logon loop

    This sounds like one of two things; the drive letter has change from
    original install, or the drive permissions have changed.

    Unable to Log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has Changed
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q249/3/21.ASP

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Michael" wrote:
    | When I hit Ctrl Alt Delte (and then enter password), the
    | system looks like it is starting up (ie you here the
    | welcome music & see the wallpaper briefly, no icons, BUT
    | then, goes right back to the Ctrl Alt Delte logon screen.
    | Its like the logon process is caught in a loop??
    |
    | I tried logon into "safe mode" but the same loop keeps
    | occuring. I know my password and domain are correct so
    | why is this "looping" back to logon screen?
    |
    | Please help ASAP as this is my laptop and I am SOL without
    | it!
    |
    | thanks
    | Mike

    I'm having the same problem too. The setup on the Win2000 Server was done
    using the CD provided by HP. Halfway thru the HP installation, it prompts
    for the Win2K Server CD.

    My supplier told me that using this method actually makes the installation
    faster, ie, first it creates a Fat32 partition, copies all windows
    installation files into the Fat32 partition and run Windows setup from this
    partition. After Windows setup is completed, it converts the FAT32 into an
    NTFS system.

    Probably it was a retarded HP installation CD. I'm on the 11th time
    installation due to this (suspect), and if nothing works, I'm going to
    install Windows the ole' fashion way.
    --
    Steven Ung
    "The source of all greatness lies within you" - Anonymous
    "Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > This sounds like one of two things; the drive letter has change from
    > original install, or the drive permissions have changed.
    >
    > Unable to Log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has Changed
    > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q249/3/21.ASP
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Michael" wrote:
    > | When I hit Ctrl Alt Delte (and then enter password), the
    > | system looks like it is starting up (ie you here the
    > | welcome music & see the wallpaper briefly, no icons, BUT
    > | then, goes right back to the Ctrl Alt Delte logon screen.
    > | Its like the logon process is caught in a loop??
    > |
    > | I tried logon into "safe mode" but the same loop keeps
    > | occuring. I know my password and domain are correct so
    > | why is this "looping" back to logon screen?
    > |
    > | Please help ASAP as this is my laptop and I am SOL without
    > | it!
    > |
    > | thanks
    > | Mike

    Yes, that's what I would do. That HP method sounds rather idiotic. If you
    use the Windows NT/ 2000 convert.exe utility to convert an existing fat16/
    32 partition to NTFS, you'll end up with 512 byte clusters which is less
    efficient, slower, and more prone to fragmentation. The overhead of
    traversing a greater number of clusters to retrieve and commit data will
    result in a degradation in file system (or disk I/O) performance.

    --

    "Steven Ung" wrote:
    | I'm having the same problem too. The setup on the Win2000 Server was done
    | using the CD provided by HP. Halfway thru the HP installation, it prompts
    | for the Win2K Server CD.
    |
    | My supplier told me that using this method actually makes the installation
    | faster, ie, first it creates a Fat32 partition, copies all windows
    | installation files into the Fat32 partition and run Windows setup from
    this
    | partition. After Windows setup is completed, it converts the FAT32 into an
    | NTFS system.
    |
    | Probably it was a retarded HP installation CD. I'm on the 11th time
    | installation due to this (suspect), and if nothing works, I'm going to
    | install Windows the ole' fashion way.
    | --
    | Steven Ung
    | "The source of all greatness lies within you" - Anonymous

    And what user rights will you end up with after you run
    convert.exe - everyone everything on the server? It's a
    mess to get all rights fixed afterwards.
    R.I.P. such HP setup systems.

    Cheers & Peace
    EBE

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >"Steven Ung" wrote:
    >| I'm having the same problem too. The setup on the
    Win2000 Server was done
    >| using the CD provided by HP. Halfway thru the HP
    installation, it prompts
    >| for the Win2K Server CD.
    >|
    >| My supplier told me that using this method actually
    makes the installation
    >| faster, ie, first it creates a Fat32 partition, copies
    all windows
    >| installation files into the Fat32 partition and run
    Windows setup from
    >this
    >| partition. After Windows setup is completed, it
    converts the FAT32 into an
    >| NTFS system.
    >|
    >| Probably it was a retarded HP installation CD. I'm on
    the 11th time
    >| installation due to this (suspect), and if nothing
    works, I'm going to
    >| install Windows the ole' fashion way.
    >| --
    >| Steven Ung
    >| "The source of all greatness lies within you" -
    Anonymous

    >.

    This article may help with that one but I wouldn't suggest installing the OS
    only to turn around and use convert.exe. See my comments above.
    How to Restore the Default NTFS Permissions for Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=266118

    --

    "EmptyBetweenEars" wrote:
    | And what user rights will you end up with after you run
    | convert.exe - everyone everything on the server? It's a
    | mess to get all rights fixed afterwards.
    | R.I.P. such HP setup systems.
    |
    | Cheers & Peace
    | EBE
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Well, that link will help if you can login. I can't login using the Admin
    account at all. What really bothers me is that HP support Engineer doesn't
    know anything about this. Perhaps I'm barking on the wrong tree?

    --

    > This article may help with that one but I wouldn't suggest installing the
    OS
    > only to turn around and use convert.exe. See my comments above.
    > How to Restore the Default NTFS Permissions for Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=266118
    >

    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "EmptyBetweenEars" wrote:
    > | And what user rights will you end up with after you run
    > | convert.exe - everyone everything on the server? It's a
    > | mess to get all rights fixed afterwards.
    > | R.I.P. such HP setup systems.
    > |
    > | Cheers & Peace
    > | EBE

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    If it were I then I would loose the HP installation and do a standard
    install booting the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup disks.

    --

    "Steven Ung" wrote:
    | Well, that link will help if you can login. I can't login using the Admin
    | account at all. What really bothers me is that HP support Engineer doesn't
    | know anything about this. Perhaps I'm barking on the wrong tree?
    |
    | --
    | Steven Ung
    | "The source of all greatness lies within you" - Anonymous
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Did just that last night, and so far, so good. Updated the security patches
    for Windows 2003 and also updated SQL server to Service pack 3/a without
    much hassle.

    What I really can't comprehend is why are we the only ones having this
    problem and I can't find anything off HP Website with regards to this issue.
    --
    > If it were I then I would loose the HP installation and do a standard
    > install booting the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup disks.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Steven Ung" wrote:
    > | Well, that link will help if you can login. I can't login using the
    Admin
    > | account at all. What really bothers me is that HP support Engineer
    doesn't
    > | know anything about this. Perhaps I'm barking on the wrong tree?
    > |
    > | --
    > | Steven Ung
    > | "The source of all greatness lies within you" - Anonymous

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I can't answer. I frequent almost all the win2000.* and windows.server.*
    groups and have never seen this issue with a new install. OTOH I wasn't
    aware of the HP pre-installation sequence either.

    --

    "Steven Ung" wrote:
    | Did just that last night, and so far, so good. Updated the security
    patches
    | for Windows 2003 and also updated SQL server to Service pack 3/a without
    | much hassle.
    |
    | What I really can't comprehend is why are we the only ones having this
    | problem and I can't find anything off HP Website with regards to this
    issue.
    | --
    | Steven Ung
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I spoke too soon I suppose. I can't login using the Administrator account
    anymore and this time is when it is in the midst of Windows Update: Critical
    updates for Windows 2003 Security services.

    The error message is "The system could not log you on. Please verify the
    ...."

    This is the 12th time installation already and I'm ready to kill someone
    now.

    Whom shall it be? Microsoft or HP ? Decisions... decisions....

    Suppose hardware failure is the cause of the problem, errhmn.. lets say hard
    disk access failure.
    --
    > I can't answer. I frequent almost all the win2000.* and windows.server.*
    > groups and have never seen this issue with a new install. OTOH I wasn't
    > aware of the HP pre-installation sequence either.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Steven Ung" wrote:
    > | Did just that last night, and so far, so good. Updated the security
    > patches
    > | for Windows 2003 and also updated SQL server to Service pack 3/a without
    > | much hassle.
    > |
    > | What I really can't comprehend is why are we the only ones having this
    > | problem and I can't find anything off HP Website with regards to this
    > issue.
    > | --
    > | Steven Ung

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Tell me you did create a backup admin account didn't you? If not this may
    work for you.

    http://securityadmin.info/noframes/faqget.asp#password

    --

    "Steven Ung" wrote:
    |I spoke too soon I suppose. I can't login using the Administrator account
    | anymore and this time is when it is in the midst of Windows Update:
    Critical
    | updates for Windows 2003 Security services.
    |
    | The error message is "The system could not log you on. Please verify the
    | ..."
    |
    | This is the 12th time installation already and I'm ready to kill someone
    | now.
    |
    | Whom shall it be? Microsoft or HP ? Decisions... decisions....
    |
    | Suppose hardware failure is the cause of the problem, errhmn.. lets say
    hard
    | disk access failure.
    | --
    | Steven Ung
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I created 2 backup accounts and even rename the administrator account to
    something else. All the 3 accounts (with Admin rights) can't login.

    I'm really stumped, but on the bright side, I can even install the Windows
    2003 server with my eyes closed! <g>

    Thanks for the link. I'll try that once I've finished the reinstallation for
    the 13th time!
    --

    > Tell me you did create a backup admin account didn't you? If not this may
    > work for you.
    >
    > http://securityadmin.info/noframes/faqget.asp#password
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Steven Ung" wrote:
    > |I spoke too soon I suppose. I can't login using the Administrator account
    > | anymore and this time is when it is in the midst of Windows Update:
    > Critical
    > | updates for Windows 2003 Security services.
    > |
    > | The error message is "The system could not log you on. Please verify the
    > | ..."
    > |
    > | This is the 12th time installation already and I'm ready to kill someone
    > | now.
    > |
    > | Whom shall it be? Microsoft or HP ? Decisions... decisions....
    > |
    > | Suppose hardware failure is the cause of the problem, errhmn.. lets say
    > hard
    > | disk access failure.
    > | --
    > | Steven Ung