Sign in with
Your question

New Windows 7 really unstable!!

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
July 16, 2011 3:56:40 AM

Alrighty I need help from some of you windows experts here. Yesterday morning i believe that Windows auto-installed an update which I believe is causing my PC to be extremely unstable in normal mode (fine in safe mode which is how im writing this).

I know this because these event logs show that updates were installed at around 8:50am. on Thurs. July 14th, 2011.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The process C:\Windows\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe (DUPUISFAMILY-PC) has initiated the restart of computer DUPUISFAMILY-PC on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Upgrade (Planned)
Reason Code: 0x80020003
Shutdown Type: restart
Comment:

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932)

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2507938)

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2532531)

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2555917)

Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2533623)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now i wasn't awake when these updates happened so I can't really give details, my brother was going started it up, I was still asleep. So i couldn't witness the update.

Basically the issue is that windows seems to be really unstable. Almost every program I try to run will crash my computer, if they somehow actually open up their really slow and glitchy. This may be a compatibility thing but all my programs worked fine before the update.

I've tried combating this issue myself, I've done THREE system restores back to previous days. I've also tried to uninstall the updates in control panel, but mysteriously, the updates installed yesterday morning don't show up. Also every time i do a system restore it makes me install an update when i reboot my computer. This update always fails, and then after sitting on the "reverting changes" screen for 10 minutes my PC will freeze again.

Now I honestly don't get how my computer can get so screwed up in one day. Now I don't believe it's a virus that is causing me such trouble as I scan regularly with Kaspersky. I also haven't downloaded anything in the last day or two and I really am the only one that uses the our desktop. My brother only watches YouTube videos so I don't see that as a possibility.

Really guys I need your help, I just ordered a new GTX 560 off of New Egg too... which I guess will have to sit on my shelves until I can get this sorted out. As you all know safe mode disables all your drivers that aren't needed for operation, so gaming is impossible on here and right now I have a minecraft itch...

Please guys I reeeeeaaaally need your help right now! thanks for reading:)  Bye!!

More about : windows unstable

July 17, 2011 8:45:19 PM

bump?? wow
guess i'll just have to reinstall with my invisible disk that I didn't receive with my system... luv u guyz <3
m
l
July 17, 2011 9:22:43 PM

A lot of times a power outage/brown out or sag on the power coming into the house while your computer is updating is bad bad. Perhaps the best you could do is in the cmd prompt, type sfc /scannow or do a chkdsk and see if that can do anything. Another option is rollback before this update and attempt to reupdate.
m
l
Related resources
July 18, 2011 1:32:22 AM

by roll back do you mean a system restore? Like I said, I've done 3 times. I'm running a scan right now, i hope it picks up something. Anyway, if it doesn't work then I guess I just do a fresh re-install of windows, turns out acer has a nice little feature that can completely wipe windows from your computer and re-install it. I'm running a backup right now as well as the scan, I needed to backup anyway so if I can get this sorted out without having to do a re-install, then at least now I have a backup. If the scan doesn't help then at least I'm ready to wipe my hard drive and start again. thanks btw, I don't mean to bump but I'm nothing close to as good at this as you guys here are:)  thx again and cheers!
m
l
July 18, 2011 4:01:02 AM

Good luck, a fresh install should solve the problem. If not, it's a hardware issue.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
July 18, 2011 6:05:22 AM

The updates are not the source of your problem. If that was the case, you would also be seeing the instability from within safe mode (majority of drivers don't get loaded in safe mode, but the updates are still there). At this point, I am tempted to say it's either a malware infection (use scanners like MalwareBytes, and Spybot in addition to your already installed anti-malware program), or a power supply issue.

Perhaps also try downloading a copy of Ubuntu and running it from a flash drive? Your drivers should (almost) all get loaded, and short of completely reinstalling Windows, that's that best way I can think of to simulate a clean (malware free) operating environment.
m
l
!