Windows 2000 setup freezes at 'Setup is ' screen

I am reinstalling Windows 2000 on a K6 400MHz system with 256 M. I was
running Windows XP on it, but decided that XP ran way to slow and am
reinstalling Windows 2000 on this machine.

When I get to 'Setup is starting Windows 2000' setup freezes. I get this
message regardless of whether I install from CD or from boot disk images
(which I went to after I figured maybe the CD was shot). Now mind
you this system used to have Windows 2000, and in honesty it's been
so long since I installed it on the system previously I can't remember what
new hardware I've added since. I did remove both my CD-Writer, CD-Rom and
soundcare, so the system I am installing to only has a network card,
video card and two hard-drives and I've set the BIOS to its failsafe
settings.

What to do now????? Someone help please!!!!

Thanks!!!

Crazy

You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in

> You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA,
> or ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the
> Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very
> important (at setup is inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent
> drive controller detection, and select S to specify additional
> drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer
> supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's controller in drive "A"
>
> If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be
> too late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned
> the resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

I have an ATA drive Fujitsu MPD3084AT 40 G. There is no additional
software supplied and MS says its supposed to be compatible. Same goes
for my secondary harddrive a Seagate ST340016A.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Crazy

The drive is not the issue. The drive controller. Check the pc/mother
board/controller manufacturer's web site.