Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pokemon moves

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 11:45:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Which psychic pokemon can learn the following moveset:
Psychic, Recover, Amnesia, Imprison.

Also, what's the point of Hariyama's Thick Fat?

More about : pokemon moves

Anonymous
July 30, 2004 2:57:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1b1aff48.0407290645.7a20130@posting.google.com...
> Which psychic pokemon can learn the following moveset:
> Psychic, Recover, Amnesia, Imprison.

When did you start caring about what moves a Pokémon CAN learn?

> Also, what's the point of Hariyama's Thick Fat?

Stops it being burned or frozen, I believe, although what I've jotted down
in my notes[1] seems to imply that it might only take half damage from fire
and ice moves. I'm pretty sure it's the first, though.

--
Steffan

[1] Yes, I take notes as I play. My memory forces me to adopt a whole new
degree of geekdom.
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 8:17:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Steffan Alun wrote:
>
> "SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1b1aff48.0407290645.7a20130@posting.google.com...
>
> > Which psychic pokemon can learn the following moveset:
> > Psychic, Recover, Amnesia, Imprison.

No Pokemon, Psychic or otherwise, can learn all four of those.

> > Also, what's the point of Hariyama's Thick Fat?
>
> Stops it being burned or frozen, I believe, although what I've jotted down
> in my notes[1] seems to imply that it might only take half damage from fire
> and ice moves. I'm pretty sure it's the first, though.

According to Meowth346, it's the latter. Water Veil keeps the Pokemon
from being burned, while Magma Armor keeps it from being frozen.

-- White Cat
http://pokedex.kary.ca/
Related resources
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 9:04:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Once upon a time SHAKKmaster decided to write:

> Which psychic pokemon can learn the following moveset:
> Psychic, Recover, Amnesia, Imprison.

Is imprison like Mean look?
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 9:04:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Chriz wrote:
> Once upon a time SHAKKmaster decided to write:
> > Which psychic pokemon can learn the following moveset:
> > Psychic, Recover, Amnesia, Imprison.
>
> Is imprison like Mean look?

As far as I know, it stops the opponent from using any moves it might have
in common with your Pokemon (no idea if the effect lasts until the end of
combat [and if the Imprisoned moves get updated to take into account your
new 'mon] or only until the 'mon who used Imprison switches out)

--
"...there are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot
easily be duplicated by a normal, kindly family man who just comes into
work every day and has a job to do." [Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods"]
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa343/index.html
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 12:51:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Steffan Alun" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<cebvc2$mat$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
> "SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1b1aff48.0407290645.7a20130@posting.google.com...
> > Which psychic pokemon can learn the following moveset:
> > Psychic, Recover, Amnesia, Imprison.
>
> When did you start caring about what moves a Pokémon CAN learn?
>
I'm bored and I'm trying to breed the perfect anti-Mewtwo pokemon for
when FR/LG come out and Mewtwo are common on R/S.

> > Also, what's the point of Hariyama's Thick Fat?
>
> Stops it being burned or frozen, I believe, although what I've jotted down
> in my notes[1] seems to imply that it might only take half damage from fire
> and ice moves. I'm pretty sure it's the first, though.

I've noticed that water moves don't hurt them as much.
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 12:51:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Steffan Alun" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<cebvc2$mat$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
> "SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1b1aff48.0407290645.7a20130@posting.google.com...
> > Which psychic pokemon can learn the following moveset:
> > Psychic, Recover, Amnesia, Imprison.
>
> When did you start caring about what moves a Pokémon CAN learn?
>
Oh, and knock it off.
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 6:22:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

shakk_master@yahoo.com (SHAKKmaster) wrote in message news:<1b1aff48.0407310751.1e4cf639@posting.google.com>...
> "Steffan Alun" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<cebvc2$mat$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
> > "SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:1b1aff48.0407290645.7a20130@posting.google.com...
> > > Which psychic pokemon can learn the following moveset:
> > > Psychic, Recover, Amnesia, Imprison.
> >
> > When did you start caring about what moves a Pokémon CAN learn?
> >
> I'm bored and I'm trying to breed the perfect anti-Mewtwo pokemon for
> when FR/LG come out and Mewtwo are common on R/S.

I think you may be going about it the wrong way. Imprison's a good
thought, but it won't really be effective as an anti-Mewtwo strategy
until he's common enough to have a "standard" moveset. And
offensively it's not going to be very effective, since Mewtwo will
resist Psychic. In double battles it'll probably work fine (until it
catches on and people start bringing Mewtwos with Thunderbolt, Ice
Beam, Calm Mind, and Rest or something), especially if you're also
using something with escape prevention, but in single battles you're
in for either a long uphill crawl or death, depending on whether
Mewtwo brought the "right" moves.

Probably your best bet is going to be a Dark-type with Crunch.
Houndoom resists a lot of popular TMs (well, popular in the R/B days
anyway) and can double as a Shedinja killer. Not sure if it has good
enough stats for the job though.

-Andrusi &&
Sanity not included.
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 9:28:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

asverner@unity.ncsu.edu (Andrusi) wrote in message news:<d95427ae.0408011322.1aedb197@posting.google.com>...
> > > > Which psychic pokemon can learn the following moveset:
> > > > Psychic, Recover, Amnesia, Imprison.
> > >
> > > When did you start caring about what moves a Pokémon CAN learn?
> >
> > I'm bored and I'm trying to breed the perfect anti-Mewtwo pokemon for
> > when FR/LG come out and Mewtwo are common on R/S.
>
> I think you may be going about it the wrong way. Imprison's a good
> thought, but it won't really be effective as an anti-Mewtwo strategy
> until he's common enough to have a "standard" moveset.

And that won't even happen. Popular, uber monsters are usually
popular and uber because they're quite versatile, and this is true of
Mewtwo. I guess Imprison/Recover is a nice idea, but even Disable has
certain advantages over that (specifically, it's not really a wasted
move spot if Mewtwo DOESN'T show up).

> And
> offensively it's not going to be very effective, since Mewtwo will
> resist Psychic. In double battles it'll probably work fine (until it
> catches on and people start bringing Mewtwos with Thunderbolt, Ice
> Beam, Calm Mind, and Rest or something)

People will cotton on as soon as Imprison is used. People aren't
stupid. They'll work out which moves the two Pokémon COULD have in
common quite quickly, and will simply use other moves. This is why
Bide never caught on short of being an excellent move for taking out
GameSharking kids a few years back.

> Probably your best bet is going to be a Dark-type with Crunch.
> Houndoom resists a lot of popular TMs (well, popular in the R/B days
> anyway) and can double as a Shedinja killer.

For the record, ANY Dark type is a Shedinja killer - Shedinja's part
Ghost.

> Not sure if it has good
> enough stats for the job though.

Well, Mewtwo was part of the cause for the creation of Dark types
anyway, so Houndoom will certainly hold his own. Statwise, you could
also go for Tyranitar. You could also fight fire with fire and use a
Lugia, taking advantage of Mewtwo's Defense, which is somewhat worse
than its Special Defense, while enjoying a resistance to Psychic.

Thing is, Mewtwo's not as much of a problem as it used to be.
Kyogre's actually a bigger problem, but I've not seen many design
Pokémon specifically to combat that.

--
Steffan
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 11:56:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

asverner@unity.ncsu.edu (Andrusi) wrote in message news:<d95427ae.0408011322.1aedb197@posting.google.com>...
> shakk_master@yahoo.com (SHAKKmaster) wrote in message news:<1b1aff48.0407310751.1e4cf639@posting.google.com>...
> > "Steffan Alun" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<cebvc2$mat$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
> > > "SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > news:1b1aff48.0407290645.7a20130@posting.google.com...
> > > > Which psychic pokemon can learn the following moveset:
> > > > Psychic, Recover, Amnesia, Imprison.
> > >
> > > When did you start caring about what moves a Pokémon CAN learn?
> > >
> > I'm bored and I'm trying to breed the perfect anti-Mewtwo pokemon for
> > when FR/LG come out and Mewtwo are common on R/S.
>
> I think you may be going about it the wrong way. Imprison's a good
> thought, but it won't really be effective as an anti-Mewtwo strategy
> until he's common enough to have a "standard" moveset. And
> offensively it's not going to be very effective, since Mewtwo will
> resist Psychic. In double battles it'll probably work fine (until it
> catches on and people start bringing Mewtwos with Thunderbolt, Ice
> Beam, Calm Mind, and Rest or something), especially if you're also
> using something with escape prevention, but in single battles you're
> in for either a long uphill crawl or death, depending on whether
> Mewtwo brought the "right" moves.
>
I just realized yesterday I was thinking about people with RBY
Mewtwos. Can Gardevoir be bred Recover?

> Probably your best bet is going to be a Dark-type with Crunch.
> Houndoom resists a lot of popular TMs (well, popular in the R/B days
> anyway) and can double as a Shedinja killer. Not sure if it has good
> enough stats for the job though.
>
Tyranitar'll do the job. My old Gold Tyranitar consistantly beat my
friend's Gold Mewtwo. But Tyr's not in Ru/Sa, unfortunately.

> -Andrusi &&
> Sanity not included.
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 4:47:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

On 2 Aug 2004, SHAKKmaster wrote:
> I just realized yesterday I was thinking about people with RBY Mewtwos.
> Can Gardevoir be bred Recover?

Not in R/S (only Destiny Bond, Disable, Mean Look, Memento and Will 'O
Wisp; all of which can come through Duskull, BTW). Perhaps there might be
someone in the Indeterminate egg group that can pass on Recover from
FR/LG...

--
"...there are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot
easily be duplicated by a normal, kindly family man who just comes into
work every day and has a job to do." [Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods"]
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa343/index.html
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 5:54:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

> Thing is, Mewtwo's not as much of a problem as it used to be.
> Kyogre's actually a bigger problem, but I've not seen many design
> Pokémon specifically to combat that.

The only pokemon that comes to mind for taking out Kyogre is Groudon, in
the sunny weather condition. (Solarbeam.)
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 3:13:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Once upon a time luneric decided to write:

>> Thing is, Mewtwo's not as much of a problem as it used to be.
>> Kyogre's actually a bigger problem, but I've not seen many design
>> Pokémon specifically to combat that.
>
> The only pokemon that comes to mind for taking out Kyogre is Groudon,
> in the sunny weather condition. (Solarbeam.)

Yeah and it gets sunny upon coming out of its ball. Does it immediately rain
with Kyogre? What's its special ability.
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 3:13:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Chriz wrote:
> Once upon a time luneric decided to write:
>
>
>>>Thing is, Mewtwo's not as much of a problem as it used to be.
>>>Kyogre's actually a bigger problem, but I've not seen many design
>>>Pokémon specifically to combat that.
>>
>>The only pokemon that comes to mind for taking out Kyogre is Groudon,
>>in the sunny weather condition. (Solarbeam.)
>
>
> Yeah and it gets sunny upon coming out of its ball. Does it immediately rain
> with Kyogre? What's its special ability.

Drought makes it sunny for Groudon, and in the same way Drizzle makes it
rain for Kyogre. I hate them both.
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 7:44:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Once upon a time SHAKKmaster decided to write:

> Tyranitar'll do the job. My old Gold Tyranitar consistantly beat my
> friend's Gold Mewtwo. But Tyr's not in Ru/Sa, unfortunately.

Actually it can be. Just catch a female Tyranitar in Colosseum (if you have
it) and make it breed later in Ru/Sa when you can trade.
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 8:42:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1b1aff48.0408020656.2dcba17f@posting.google.com...
> I just realized yesterday I was thinking about people with RBY
> Mewtwos. Can Gardevoir be bred Recover?

No.

And the ultimate RBY Mewtwo was Ice Beam/Thunderwave/Recover/Amnesia anyway,
and the reason it was uber was because Special Attack and Special Defense
were one stat, and Amnesia boosted both by two stages. Mewtwo really isn't
any more powerful than Ho-oh, Lugia, Kyogre, Groudon or Rayquaza now, and
none of them are huge problems to the degrees chromatic Mewtwo was.

> > Probably your best bet is going to be a Dark-type with Crunch.
> > Houndoom resists a lot of popular TMs (well, popular in the R/B days
> > anyway) and can double as a Shedinja killer. Not sure if it has good
> > enough stats for the job though.
>
> Tyranitar'll do the job. My old Gold Tyranitar consistantly beat my
> friend's Gold Mewtwo. But Tyr's not in Ru/Sa, unfortunately.

Tyranitar's in Coli and Larvitar will be in FL.

--
Steffan
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 8:50:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"luneric" <luneric@dontrit> wrote in message news:410e3ede_1@127.0.0.1...
> >>The only pokemon that comes to mind for taking out Kyogre is Groudon,
> >>in the sunny weather condition. (Solarbeam.)
> >
> > Yeah and it gets sunny upon coming out of its ball. Does it immediately
rain
> > with Kyogre? What's its special ability.
>
> Drought makes it sunny for Groudon, and in the same way Drizzle makes it
> rain for Kyogre. I hate them both.

Kyogre is hideously overpowered. Its Special Attack is insane, its Drizzle
ability is stupidly unfair, and it gets Water Spout - with STAB - of all
moves. Translation - 450 Base Damage, not to mention the fact that its
Special Attack makes every single bit of this count. If you're feeling
really mean, you can give it Mystic Water and almost reach 500 base damage.
Sure, during a Sunny Day, that'll go down to 125 (which, in case you hadn't
noticed, is still utterly mental), but since Groudon is weak to Water, we're
back up to 250.

In contrast, Groudon's Special Attack isn't quite as good as its physical
Attack, it doesn't get STAB on Solarbeam, and the boost to Fire moves
offered would be pointless if it's going one-on-one against Kyogre.

In summary, Groudon is a poor Pokémon to use specifically to counter Kyogre.

While I have no interest in actually using one, I like the idea of
Rayquaza's cancel-all-weather-effects ability. It comes in to say "alright,
alright, cut it out, we'll have no ubers beating up ordinary Pokémon here"
and goes on to mock them further by resisting most special-based moves.
Course, Kyogre will still have Ice Beam, since that's the law.

Personally, I beat Kyogre with a no-legendary clause.

--
Steffan
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 10:08:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

In article <2n8n0uFtappjU1@uni-berlin.de>,
Chriz <chrizizhere@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Once upon a time SHAKKmaster decided to write:
>
>> Tyranitar'll do the job. My old Gold Tyranitar consistantly beat my
>> friend's Gold Mewtwo. But Tyr's not in Ru/Sa, unfortunately.
>
>Actually it can be. Just catch a female Tyranitar in Colosseum (if you have
>it) and make it breed later in Ru/Sa when you can trade.
>
Which is precisely what I'm doing right now.

Not that it's going to have a ghost of a chance against Kyogre, but
that's true of most Pokemon.



--
David H. Thornley | If you want my opinion, ask.
david@thornley.net | If you don't, flee.
http://www.thornley.net/~thornley/david/ | O-
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 12:55:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

sha3@aber.ac.uk (Steffan Alun) wrote in message news:<7147bf5b.0408020428.355dfff2@posting.google.com>...
> Kyogre's actually a bigger problem, but I've not seen many design
> Pokémon specifically to combat that.

Kyogre, eh? I'm thinking Zapdos with Magnet. Highest SpAtk on an
Electric, IIRC (and yeah, you want Electric rather than Grass, since
Thunder benefits from Kyogre's ability whereas Solarbeam is hindered
by it). Trouble is, he's going to be weak to Ice Beam, so you have to
hope everything works just perfectly (a bit like fighting Mewtwo with
a Gengar, as I'm told some people did in RBY). So probably you'll
want another Pokémon with Thunder waiting in the wings.

I've been looking at Magneton (of course) and Jolteon as alternatives,
but I think Kyogre can learn Earthquake.

-Andrusi &&
Sanity not included.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 2:36:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Once upon a time David Thornley decided to write:

> In article <2n8n0uFtappjU1@uni-berlin.de>,
> Chriz <chrizizhere@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Once upon a time SHAKKmaster decided to write:
>>
>>> Tyranitar'll do the job. My old Gold Tyranitar consistantly beat my
>>> friend's Gold Mewtwo. But Tyr's not in Ru/Sa, unfortunately.
>>
>> Actually it can be. Just catch a female Tyranitar in Colosseum (if
>> you have it) and make it breed later in Ru/Sa when you can trade.
>>
> Which is precisely what I'm doing right now.
>
> Not that it's going to have a ghost of a chance against Kyogre, but
> that's true of most Pokemon.

Wouldn't Raikou be your best bet against a Kyogre? I didn't know it was so
powerful. I have Ruby after all.

--

The End.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 7:44:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Steffan Alun" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:ceofo8$7tf$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> "luneric" <luneric@dontrit> wrote in message news:410e3ede_1@127.0.0.1...
>
> In contrast, Groudon's Special Attack isn't quite as good as its physical
> Attack, it doesn't get STAB on Solarbeam, and the boost to Fire moves
> offered would be pointless if it's going one-on-one against Kyogre.

OK - this is probably a stupid question...but what does 'STAB' mean?
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 8:17:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Raph wrote:
> "Steffan Alun" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message
> news:ceofo8$7tf$1@titan.btinternet.com...
>>"luneric" <luneric@dontrit> wrote in message news:410e3ede_1@127.0.0.1...
>>In contrast, Groudon's Special Attack isn't quite as good as its physical
>>Attack, it doesn't get STAB on Solarbeam, and the boost to Fire moves
>>offered would be pointless if it's going one-on-one against Kyogre.
>
> OK - this is probably a stupid question...but what does 'STAB' mean?

Same Type Attack Bonus. Water pokemon do more damage with water
attacks, fire pokemon with fire attacks, and so forth. I think it's a
roughly 50% increase.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 10:17:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Raph" <raph1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:cv7Qc.107550$bp1.74609@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> > In contrast, Groudon's Special Attack isn't quite as good as its
physical
> > Attack, it doesn't get STAB on Solarbeam, and the boost to Fire moves
> > offered would be pointless if it's going one-on-one against Kyogre.
>
> OK - this is probably a stupid question...but what does 'STAB' mean?

Same Type Attack Bonus. If the Pokémon uses a move of its own type, the
move does 50% more damage than normal.

For instance, a Pikachu's Thunderbolt will start off with 50% more power
than a Starmie's Thunderbolt.

A dual type gets this bonus on BOTH moves - so Quagsire, for instance, gets
a 50% bonus on both Ground and Water moves.

This is true of all types, including Normal - a Chansey using Hyper Beam,
for instance, gets the bonus also.

--
Steffan
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 12:40:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

>>In contrast, Groudon's Special Attack isn't quite as good as its physical
>>Attack, it doesn't get STAB on Solarbeam, and the boost to Fire moves
>>offered would be pointless if it's going one-on-one against Kyogre.
>
> OK - this is probably a stupid question...but what does 'STAB' mean?

Heh. I have no clue what it means for ages, and when I find out I use it
and confuse more people.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 12:44:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

> I've been looking at Magneton (of course) and Jolteon as alternatives,
> but I think Kyogre can learn Earthquake.

Magneton is the electric of my team, and a hydro pump from nearly any
water pokemon on COLI always takes him out. Although it may just be my
bad training. =(

Kyogre can cover all it's weaknesses. Mine knew Earthquake, Icebeam,
Surf and Water Spout.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 11:26:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Steffan Alun wrote:
>
> Thing is, Mewtwo's not as much of a problem as it used to be.
> Kyogre's actually a bigger problem, but I've not seen many design
> Pokémon specifically to combat that.

One suggested counter early on was Lanturn, since it resists Water and
isn't weak to Electric, and can use Thunder against Kyogre.

Other candidates would be Ludicolo and (now that we have Colosseum)
Quagsire with Water Absorb (immune to Surf/Water Spout and Thunder).
I'm not sure about the moveset though; perhaps Amnesia/Curse/Rest/
Earthquake?

-- White Cat
http://pokedex.kary.ca/
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 8:47:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Once upon a time luneric decided to write:

>> I've been looking at Magneton (of course) and Jolteon as
>> alternatives, but I think Kyogre can learn Earthquake.
>
> Magneton is the electric of my team, and a hydro pump from nearly any
> water pokemon on COLI always takes him out. Although it may just be my
> bad training. =(
>
> Kyogre can cover all it's weaknesses. Mine knew Earthquake, Icebeam,
> Surf and Water Spout.

What's water spout do? I can't remember. Weaken fire?
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 8:47:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

>>>I've been looking at Magneton (of course) and Jolteon as
>>>alternatives, but I think Kyogre can learn Earthquake.
>>
>>Magneton is the electric of my team, and a hydro pump from nearly any
>>water pokemon on COLI always takes him out. Although it may just be my
>>bad training. =(
>>
>>Kyogre can cover all it's weaknesses. Mine knew Earthquake, Icebeam,
>>Surf and Water Spout.
>
> What's water spout do? I can't remember. Weaken fire?

It's a move that does more damage depending on how much health Kyogre
has. Basically, it kicks ass. And it hits both in a doubles.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 8:47:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, luneric wrote:
> > What's water spout do? I can't remember. Weaken fire?
>
> It's a move that does more damage depending on how much health Kyogre
> has. Basically, it kicks ass. And it hits both in a doubles.

5 PP, hits both foes in a 2-on-2 fight, attack power of 150 - but the
power goes down as the user's HP goes down. [at least according to the moves
FAQ on GameFAQs]

--
"...there are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot
easily be duplicated by a normal, kindly family man who just comes into
work every day and has a job to do." [Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods"]
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa343/index.html
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 9:41:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Once upon a time White Cat decided to write:

> Steffan Alun wrote:
>>
>> Thing is, Mewtwo's not as much of a problem as it used to be.
>> Kyogre's actually a bigger problem, but I've not seen many design
>> Pokémon specifically to combat that.
>
> One suggested counter early on was Lanturn, since it resists Water and
> isn't weak to Electric, and can use Thunder against Kyogre.
>
> Other candidates would be Ludicolo and (now that we have Colosseum)
> Quagsire with Water Absorb (immune to Surf/Water Spout and Thunder).
> I'm not sure about the moveset though; perhaps Amnesia/Curse/Rest/
> Earthquake?

My Colosseum Quagsire has damp. It prevents self destruct. If Kyogre has
earthquake, it can still bring down Lanturn.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 12:14:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Once upon a time Joseph William Dixon decided to write:

> On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, luneric wrote:
>>> What's water spout do? I can't remember. Weaken fire?
>>
>> It's a move that does more damage depending on how much health Kyogre
>> has. Basically, it kicks ass. And it hits both in a doubles.
>
> 5 PP, hits both foes in a 2-on-2 fight, attack power of 150 - but
> the power goes down as the user's HP goes down. [at least according
> to the moves FAQ on GameFAQs]

So it's like Overheat.

--

Insert advertisement here.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 12:14:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Chriz wrote:
> Once upon a time Joseph William Dixon decided to write:
>
>
>>On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, luneric wrote:
>>
>>>>What's water spout do? I can't remember. Weaken fire?
>>>
>>>It's a move that does more damage depending on how much health Kyogre
>>>has. Basically, it kicks ass. And it hits both in a doubles.
>>
>> 5 PP, hits both foes in a 2-on-2 fight, attack power of 150 - but
>>the power goes down as the user's HP goes down. [at least according
>>to the moves FAQ on GameFAQs]
>
> So it's like Overheat.

Nope, Eruption may be the one you are thinking of.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 1:29:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Once upon a time luneric decided to write:

> Chriz wrote:
>> Once upon a time Joseph William Dixon decided to write:
>>
>>
>>> On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, luneric wrote:
>>>
>>>>> What's water spout do? I can't remember. Weaken fire?
>>>>
>>>> It's a move that does more damage depending on how much health
>>>> Kyogre has. Basically, it kicks ass. And it hits both in a doubles.
>>>
>>> 5 PP, hits both foes in a 2-on-2 fight, attack power of 150 - but
>>> the power goes down as the user's HP goes down. [at least according
>>> to the moves FAQ on GameFAQs]
>>
>> So it's like Overheat.
>
> Nope, Eruption may be the one you are thinking of.

Yes indeed. Is overheat an ability or an attack?
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 1:29:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Chriz" <chrizizhere@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:2nek04F11kbU1@uni-berlin.de...
> >> So it's like Overheat.
> >
> > Nope, Eruption may be the one you are thinking of.
>
> Yes indeed. Is overheat an ability or an attack?

An attack. It's dreadfully strong, but severely cuts the user's Special
Attack each time it uses it.

--
Steffan
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 3:46:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Steffan Alun" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:7147bf5b.0408020428.355dfff2@posting.google.com...
> asverner@unity.ncsu.edu (Andrusi) wrote in message
news:<d95427ae.0408011322.1aedb197@posting.google.com>...

SNIP

> Thing is, Mewtwo's not as much of a problem as it used to be.
> Kyogre's actually a bigger problem, but I've not seen many design
> Pokémon specifically to combat that.


I got this (directly) from one of the FAQs on GameFAQs.


'Kyogre has very high stats, and also learns Calm Mind. Calm Mind raises
Special Attack and Special Defense by one level. It takes only 3 or 4 of
these to bring Kyogre's Special Attack and Special Defense to 999. Since
Kyogre is a Water type, all its weaknesses are Special-based. This makes it
very hard to kill.

Now that Kyogre's Special Attack is maxed out, it can OHKO just
about everything. Once Kyogre gets set up, few can bring it down. The
typical Kyogre has a Mint Berry attached, and knows Surf (or Water Spout),
Rest, and Calm Mind.

The fourth move is either Ice Beam, Ancientpower or Thunder.
Thunder because Kyogre's Ability is Drizzle causing auto-Rain Dance.
Kyogre's chance of survival depends on the fourth move.

If Kyogre has Thunder, Shedinja, Quagsire, and Zapdos can beat it.
If Kyogre has Ancientpower, Quagsire can beat it.
If Kyogre has Ice Beam, only Shedinja can beat it x_x

By now, you're probably asking yourself, "Why these guys?" Well, the
answer is simple:

Shedinja can only be damaged by Fire, Rock, Flying, Ghost, or Dark
moves. Kyogre knows none of these if it has Thunder or Ice Beam, so
it wins.

Quagsire wins if Kyogre has Thunder because it's a Ground type, and
Quagsire's Ability makes her be healed when hit by Water moves.

Zapdos can win only if Kyogre has Thunder. The other two moves are
super effective and will KO Zapdos easily. Zapdos has barely enough
Special Attack to kill Kyogre with Thunder.'



But I think the "No Legendaries" rule is the way to go.

Sorry for the delay, I have had computer trouble, and a vacation of sorts.


daramark
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 10:09:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Once upon a time daramark decided to write:

<snip>

> Quagsire wins if Kyogre has Thunder because it's a Ground
> type, and Quagsire's Ability makes her be healed when hit by
> Water moves.

Assuming that the Quagsire has water absorb.

--

Insert advertisement here.
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 11:04:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 23:46:06 -0400, in alt.games.nintendo.pokemon "daramark"
<mark.bull@sympatico.ca> wrote:

:"Steffan Alun" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message
:news:7147bf5b.0408020428.355dfff2@posting.google.com...
:> asverner@unity.ncsu.edu (Andrusi) wrote in message
:news:<d95427ae.0408011322.1aedb197@posting.google.com>...
:
:SNIP
:
:> Thing is, Mewtwo's not as much of a problem as it used to be.
:> Kyogre's actually a bigger problem, but I've not seen many design
:> Pokémon specifically to combat that.
:
:
:I got this (directly) from one of the FAQs on GameFAQs.
:
:
: 'Kyogre has very high stats, and also learns Calm Mind. Calm Mind raises
:Special Attack and Special Defense by one level. It takes only 3 or 4 of
:these to bring Kyogre's Special Attack and Special Defense to 999. Since
:Kyogre is a Water type, all its weaknesses are Special-based. This makes it
:very hard to kill.
:
: Now that Kyogre's Special Attack is maxed out, it can OHKO just
:about everything. Once Kyogre gets set up, few can bring it down. The
:typical Kyogre has a Mint Berry attached, and knows Surf (or Water Spout),
:Rest, and Calm Mind.
:
: The fourth move is either Ice Beam, Ancientpower or Thunder.
:Thunder because Kyogre's Ability is Drizzle causing auto-Rain Dance.
:Kyogre's chance of survival depends on the fourth move.
:
: If Kyogre has Thunder, Shedinja, Quagsire, and Zapdos can beat it.
: If Kyogre has Ancientpower, Quagsire can beat it.
: If Kyogre has Ice Beam, only Shedinja can beat it x_x
:
: By now, you're probably asking yourself, "Why these guys?" Well, the
:answer is simple:
:
: Shedinja can only be damaged by Fire, Rock, Flying, Ghost, or Dark
: moves. Kyogre knows none of these if it has Thunder or Ice Beam, so
: it wins.
:
: Quagsire wins if Kyogre has Thunder because it's a Ground type, and
: Quagsire's Ability makes her be healed when hit by Water moves.
:
: Zapdos can win only if Kyogre has Thunder. The other two moves are
: super effective and will KO Zapdos easily. Zapdos has barely enough
: Special Attack to kill Kyogre with Thunder.'
:
:
:
:But I think the "No Legendaries" rule is the way to go.
:
:Sorry for the delay, I have had computer trouble, and a vacation of sorts.
:
:
:D aramark
:
:



Thanks.. I just beat my daughters level 100 Kyogre with a level 56 Shedinja in
her secret base.. :) 

I miss Zapdos.
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 12:26:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

daramark wrote:
>
> I got this (directly) from one of the FAQs on GameFAQs.
>
> 'Kyogre has very high stats, and also learns Calm Mind. Calm Mind raises
> Special Attack and Special Defense by one level. It takes only 3 or 4 of
> these to bring Kyogre's Special Attack and Special Defense to 999. Since
> Kyogre is a Water type, all its weaknesses are Special-based. This makes it
> very hard to kill.
>
> Now that Kyogre's Special Attack is maxed out, it can OHKO just
> about everything.

Actually, in R/S the stats are no longer capped at 999, so Kyogre's
Special Attack can go as high as 1596, or *1752* with the nature boost.

x_x

-- White Cat
http://pokedex.kary.ca/
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 4:17:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"White Cat" <white_cat59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:9WaRc.68902$T_6.12670@edtnps89...

> Actually, in R/S the stats are no longer capped at 999, so Kyogre's
> Special Attack can go as high as 1596, or *1752* with the nature boost.
>

That's just terrifying. Perhaps not as terrifying as the prospect of Mewtwo
with Calm Mind (who could achieve a mind blowing 1788 Special Attack), but
it definitely throws off the power curve..

I had no idea that stats in the current generation of games could surpass
999. I'd noticed that Pokemon could use stat-increasing moves after their
stats had already reached 999, but I assumed that was for tracking purposes
and calculating the effects of Psych Up and Baton Pass. I guess now there's
a reason to fully EV-train Pokemon like Scizor and Dragonite. (I'd been
working under the assumption that their stats would peak after a few hits of
Swords/Dragon Dance, so I didn't give mine any Attack EVs at all. >_<)

How does this affect Marowak? Does his Attack stat still drop down to zero
after it hits 999, or can it go into the thousands?


--Beth
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 6:49:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"White Cat" <white_cat59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:9WaRc.68902$T_6.12670@edtnps89...
> daramark wrote:
> >
> > I got this (directly) from one of the FAQs on GameFAQs.
> >
> > 'Kyogre has very high stats, and also learns Calm Mind. Calm Mind raises
> > Special Attack and Special Defense by one level. It takes only 3 or 4 of
> > these to bring Kyogre's Special Attack and Special Defense to 999. Since
> > Kyogre is a Water type, all its weaknesses are Special-based. This makes
it
> > very hard to kill.
> >
> > Now that Kyogre's Special Attack is maxed out, it can OHKO just
> > about everything.
>
> Actually, in R/S the stats are no longer capped at 999, so Kyogre's
> Special Attack can go as high as 1596, or *1752* with the nature boost.
>
> x_x


double X_X

I didn't know that. WOW it stuns me just looking at the numbers. lol so I am
easily stunned these days.

daramark
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 5:33:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Tyranitar'll do the job. My old Gold Tyranitar consistantly beat my
> friend's Gold Mewtwo. But Tyr's not in Ru/Sa, unfortunately.

Tyranitar is however in Colosseum....

TME
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 5:33:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

The Magic Engineer wrote:
> "SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> Tyranitar'll do the job. My old Gold Tyranitar consistantly beat my
>> friend's Gold Mewtwo. But Tyr's not in Ru/Sa, unfortunately.
>
> Tyranitar is however in Colosseum....

Also in FR/LG, right?
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 6:44:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

The Magic Engineer wrote:

> "SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > Tyranitar'll do the job. My old Gold Tyranitar consistantly beat my
> > friend's Gold Mewtwo. But Tyr's not in Ru/Sa, unfortunately.
>
> Tyranitar is however in Colosseum....

With one of the most annoying abilities. Sand Stream.

I have made use of Sand Stream. Nutrealizing opponent Sunny Day or Rain
Dance.

And it did come in handy in whitling down the HP of the Togetic. But
still, it is annoying fighting it and having it on your team.
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 6:44:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Disruptor" <mathews1@gt.net> wrote in message
news:414460CF.4111BF25@gt.net...
>
>
> The Magic Engineer wrote:
>
> > "SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > Tyranitar'll do the job. My old Gold Tyranitar consistantly beat my
> > > friend's Gold Mewtwo. But Tyr's not in Ru/Sa, unfortunately.
> >
> > Tyranitar is however in Colosseum....
>
> With one of the most annoying abilities. Sand Stream.
>
> I have made use of Sand Stream. Nutrealizing opponent Sunny Day or Rain
> Dance.
>
> And it did come in handy in whitling down the HP of the Togetic. But
> still, it is annoying fighting it and having it on your team.
>

I dunno.. I loved having my water absorbing Quagsire, Tropius and Tyranitar
as a team. Ground moves don't affect Tropius and barely effect Quagmyra.
Toxic and Fly on Tropicana helps on occasion. Throw in earthquake, crunch,
surf, blizzard and thunder on T-Rex and Quagmyra. That takes care of just
about any type of 'mon that we come up against.

~misty

--
http://mistymage.com

Mystery Rock
http://mistymage.com/Family/Wapsi2004/Identify.html
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 9:13:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

~misty wrote:

> "Disruptor" <mathews1@gt.net> wrote in message
> news:414460CF.4111BF25@gt.net...
> >
> >
> > The Magic Engineer wrote:
> >
> > > "SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > > Tyranitar'll do the job. My old Gold Tyranitar consistantly beat my
> > > > friend's Gold Mewtwo. But Tyr's not in Ru/Sa, unfortunately.
> > >
> > > Tyranitar is however in Colosseum....
> >
> > With one of the most annoying abilities. Sand Stream.
> >
> > I have made use of Sand Stream. Nutrealizing opponent Sunny Day or Rain
> > Dance.
> >
> > And it did come in handy in whitling down the HP of the Togetic. But
> > still, it is annoying fighting it and having it on your team.
> >
>
> I dunno.. I loved having my water absorbing Quagsire, Tropius and Tyranitar
> as a team. Ground moves don't affect Tropius and barely effect Quagmyra.
> Toxic and Fly on Tropicana helps on occasion. Throw in earthquake, crunch,
> surf, blizzard and thunder on T-Rex and Quagmyra. That takes care of just
> about any type of 'mon that we come up against.

Sandstorm does affect Tropius. Ground, Rock, and Steel are unaffected by
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipping up a Sandstorm.
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 10:03:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

John Salerno wrote:

> The Magic Engineer wrote:
> > "SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> Tyranitar'll do the job. My old Gold Tyranitar consistantly beat my
> >> friend's Gold Mewtwo. But Tyr's not in Ru/Sa, unfortunately.
> >
> > Tyranitar is however in Colosseum....
>
> Also in FR/LG, right?

The only way to get some pokemon is to use Colosseum and breed them. The
Tyranitar is one of them.
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 8:33:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Disruptor wrote:
>
> > > Tyranitar is however in Colosseum....
> >
> > Also in FR/LG, right?
>
> The only way to get some pokemon is to use Colosseum and breed them. The
> Tyranitar is one of them.

No, Larvitar is catchable in F/L, in an area called (spoiler reversed)
tluaveS noynaC.

-- White Cat
http://pokedex.kary.ca/
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 10:01:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Disruptor" <mathews1@gt.net> wrote in message
news:414483E3.2FE6D460@gt.net...
>
>
> ~misty wrote:
>
> > "Disruptor" <mathews1@gt.net> wrote in message
> > news:414460CF.4111BF25@gt.net...
> > >
> > >
> > > The Magic Engineer wrote:
> > >
> > > > "SHAKKmaster" <shakk_master@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > >
> > > > > Tyranitar'll do the job. My old Gold Tyranitar consistantly beat
my
> > > > > friend's Gold Mewtwo. But Tyr's not in Ru/Sa, unfortunately.
> > > >
> > > > Tyranitar is however in Colosseum....
> > >
> > > With one of the most annoying abilities. Sand Stream.
> > >
> > > I have made use of Sand Stream. Nutrealizing opponent Sunny Day or
Rain
> > > Dance.
> > >
> > > And it did come in handy in whitling down the HP of the Togetic. But
> > > still, it is annoying fighting it and having it on your team.
> > >
> >
> > I dunno.. I loved having my water absorbing Quagsire, Tropius and
Tyranitar
> > as a team. Ground moves don't affect Tropius and barely effect
Quagmyra.
> > Toxic and Fly on Tropicana helps on occasion. Throw in earthquake,
crunch,
> > surf, blizzard and thunder on T-Rex and Quagmyra. That takes care of
just
> > about any type of 'mon that we come up against.
>
> Sandstorm does affect Tropius. Ground, Rock, and Steel are unaffected by
> Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipping up a Sandstorm.

As well as Cacturne. It is unaffected and Sandstorm ups its evasiveness.

daramark
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 7:28:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

daramark wrote:

> "Disruptor" <mathews1@gt.net> wrote in message
> news:414483E3.2FE6D460@gt.net...
>
>>Sandstorm does affect Tropius. Ground, Rock, and Steel are unaffected by
>>Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipping up a Sandstorm.
>
>
> As well as Cacturne. It is unaffected and Sandstorm ups its evasiveness.
>
I've been wondering how that works. By all rights, Cacturne should be
taking damage every turn while Sandstorm is in play. And have you
noticed that a Sandstorm whipped up by Sandstream never goes away in
Colosseum?

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
Webcomic: http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com

My Adventure Quest character:
http://www.battleon.com/aq-chardetail.asp?temp=131213
You can play Adventure Quest at http://www.battleon.com

Sometimes, I notice someone has posted a reply to one of my messages and
I think, "Oh, great, what did I say this time?"
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 7:30:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

~misty wrote:

> I dunno.. I loved having my water absorbing Quagsire, Tropius and Tyranitar
> as a team. Ground moves don't affect Tropius and barely effect Quagmyra.

Sandstorm is a Rock move, not a Ground move. At least, I think it is...

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
Webcomic: http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com

My Adventure Quest character:
http://www.battleon.com/aq-chardetail.asp?temp=131213
You can play Adventure Quest at http://www.battleon.com

Sometimes, I notice someone has posted a reply to one of my messages and
I think, "Oh, great, what did I say this time?"
!