Problem accessing news server

March 10, 2005 11:17:11 PM

Since I got my new computer with XP (and SP2) and a Linksys router, I
have been unable to connect to the secure news server
"secnews.netscape.com". I run with Windows Firewall Off and turn off
Norton Security, but can't get connected. The problem seems to be in
the router as I cannot access secnews.netscape.com from my new computer
or from my old computer (98SE) wired to the router.

I've had numerous exchanges with Linksys support and even have tried a
replacement router which they sent me, but no luck.

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully connected to this news server
who has a Linksys router. My model is a WRTGS 1.1.

Thanks.
Stan
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:17:12 PM

You don't have Zone Alarm installed do you? If so, you need to add the
Netscape server as a Trusted Site.

"Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Since I got my new computer with XP (and SP2) and a Linksys router, I have
> been unable to connect to the secure news server "secnews.netscape.com".
> I run with Windows Firewall Off and turn off Norton Security, but can't
> get connected. The problem seems to be in the router as I cannot access
> secnews.netscape.com from my new computer or from my old computer (98SE)
> wired to the router.
>
> I've had numerous exchanges with Linksys support and even have tried a
> replacement router which they sent me, but no luck.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has successfully connected to this news server who
> has a Linksys router. My model is a WRTGS 1.1.
>
> Thanks.
> Stan
March 10, 2005 11:17:12 PM

Have you try not using a router and see as to whether you are able to
connect to secnews.netscape.com ?

"Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Since I got my new computer with XP (and SP2) and a Linksys router, I have
> been unable to connect to the secure news server "secnews.netscape.com".
> I run with Windows Firewall Off and turn off Norton Security, but can't
> get connected. The problem seems to be in the router as I cannot access
> secnews.netscape.com from my new computer or from my old computer (98SE)
> wired to the router.
>
> I've had numerous exchanges with Linksys support and even have tried a
> replacement router which they sent me, but no luck.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has successfully connected to this news server who
> has a Linksys router. My model is a WRTGS 1.1.
>
> Thanks.
> Stan
March 10, 2005 11:17:12 PM

I don't think its your Router , but rather I believe it
you , It sound like you haven't configure your router
with your new computer , Also it sound like your old
computer you are using a cable that is connected to your
Router and your new computer you are trying to use
wireless , If this is so ? Does your computer have the
wireless option ? Did you configure your router and the
computer for wireless ? There is setting you need to
configure to have this option , Better yet can you load
webpages with your new computer ? Are you able to surf
the internet with your new computer ?Lastly did you set
up the newsgroup for this server ? Is it listed in your
news tab ?

March 11, 2005 3:57:06 AM

Road_Runner wrote:
> Have you try not using a router and see as to whether you are able to
> connect to secnews.netscape.com ?
>

> "Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>Since I got my new computer with XP (and SP2) and a Linksys router, I have
>>been unable to connect to the secure news server "secnews.netscape.com".
>>I run with Windows Firewall Off and turn off Norton Security, but can't
>>get connected. The problem seems to be in the router as I cannot access
>>secnews.netscape.com from my new computer or from my old computer (98SE)
>>wired to the router.
>>
>>I've had numerous exchanges with Linksys support and even have tried a
>>replacement router which they sent me, but no luck.
>>
>>I'm wondering if anyone has successfully connected to this news server who
>>has a Linksys router. My model is a WRTGS 1.1.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>Stan

Yes, I can connect direct to Road Runner and get to the server with my
old computer. I don't have any way to do this with my new computer as I
don't have the card for wireless. That's what seems to pin it down to
the router.

Stan
March 11, 2005 3:58:04 AM

ColTom2 wrote:

> You don't have Zone Alarm installed do you? If so, you need to add the
> Netscape server as a Trusted Site.
>

> "Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>Since I got my new computer with XP (and SP2) and a Linksys router, I have
>>been unable to connect to the secure news server "secnews.netscape.com".
>>I run with Windows Firewall Off and turn off Norton Security, but can't
>>get connected. The problem seems to be in the router as I cannot access
>>secnews.netscape.com from my new computer or from my old computer (98SE)
>>wired to the router.
>>
>>I've had numerous exchanges with Linksys support and even have tried a
>>replacement router which they sent me, but no luck.
>>
>>I'm wondering if anyone has successfully connected to this news server who
>>has a Linksys router. My model is a WRTGS 1.1.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>Stan

No, I don't have Zone Alarm installed.

Stan
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:59:36 AM

Just had this problem on new install of XPPro.
Turned out to be one of two things (I don't know which, as I corrected both
simultaneously)

1/ system file OUTBOX.DBX - (hidden file, you need to "show" hidden files) -
find it, RIGHT-click (to show properties) - it should show " Opens with
Internet Explorer" - mine showed "opens with (unknown). Corrected that (via
"change" button alongside). It's worth checking the other *.dbx files too.

2/ In the ng properties, where you put your scrambled sig (over-riding
default valid e_mail) - conventional widom is that you can put anything
there BUT it must be in correct format - i.e nospam@thank.you . One should
NOT put valid e_mail ID's in ng's!!

NB - mine was a clean installation on a virgin disk, fully updated before
use. Nevertheless, it glitched.

Worth a try ? I don't claim originality here - these guys gave me the info!

Post back if it works - Sincerely, Len.

"Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Since I got my new computer with XP (and SP2) and a Linksys router, I have
> been unable to connect to the secure news server "secnews.netscape.com".
> I run with Windows Firewall Off and turn off Norton Security, but can't
> get connected. The problem seems to be in the router as I cannot access
> secnews.netscape.com from my new computer or from my old computer (98SE)
> wired to the router.
>
> I've had numerous exchanges with Linksys support and even have tried a
> replacement router which they sent me, but no luck.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has successfully connected to this news server who
> has a Linksys router. My model is a WRTGS 1.1.
>
> Thanks.
> Stan
March 11, 2005 6:35:58 AM

Donna wrote:
> I don't think its your Router , but rather I believe it
> you , It sound like you haven't configure your router
> with your new computer , Also it sound like your old
> computer you are using a cable that is connected to your
> Router and your new computer you are trying to use
> wireless , If this is so ? Does your computer have the
> wireless option ? Did you configure your router and the
> computer for wireless ? There is setting you need to
> configure to have this option , Better yet can you load
> webpages with your new computer ? Are you able to surf
> the internet with your new computer ?Lastly did you set
> up the newsgroup for this server ? Is it listed in your
> news tab ?

The router was configured for both computers, one wired and the new one
wireless. The new computer came wireless and works fine doing
everything else. So does the old computer, works fine on everything else.

I can surf, search, download, E-mail, use other news servers with no
problem. I have the secnews.netscape.com news server set up correctly
as I have verified this by comparing it with the old computer which
works correctly when I bypass the router. I have also verified my
settings and conferred with Mozilla people.

In addition, I have interacted with Linksys support on 6-7 occasions
trying everything they suggested. They finally sent me a replacement
router just to be sure it wasn't the router. The replacement doesn't
work either in the specific case.

I have also tried to access from O.E. to make sure it wasn't my Mozilla
(Netscape) and it doesn't work there either.

It does seem like it is something to do with the router settings or else
it just doesn't work for a secure news server or for this specific news
server. That is why I posted, to see if anyone has been successful with
a Linksys router to this server.

This problem has been occurring now since I got my new computer over 5
weeks ago.

Stan
March 11, 2005 6:46:46 AM

Yabbadoo wrote:

> Just had this problem on new install of XPPro.
> Turned out to be one of two things (I don't know which, as I corrected both
> simultaneously)
>
> 1/ system file OUTBOX.DBX - (hidden file, you need to "show" hidden files) -
> find it, RIGHT-click (to show properties) - it should show " Opens with
> Internet Explorer" - mine showed "opens with (unknown). Corrected that (via
> "change" button alongside). It's worth checking the other *.dbx files too.
>
> 2/ In the ng properties, where you put your scrambled sig (over-riding
> default valid e_mail) - conventional widom is that you can put anything
> there BUT it must be in correct format - i.e nospam@thank.you . One should
> NOT put valid e_mail ID's in ng's!!
>
> NB - mine was a clean installation on a virgin disk, fully updated before
> use. Nevertheless, it glitched.
>
> Worth a try ? I don't claim originality here - these guys gave me the info!
>
> Post back if it works - Sincerely, Len.
>
> "Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>Since I got my new computer with XP (and SP2) and a Linksys router, I have
>>been unable to connect to the secure news server "secnews.netscape.com".
>>I run with Windows Firewall Off and turn off Norton Security, but can't
>>get connected. The problem seems to be in the router as I cannot access
>>secnews.netscape.com from my new computer or from my old computer (98SE)
>>wired to the router.
>>
>>I've had numerous exchanges with Linksys support and even have tried a
>>replacement router which they sent me, but no luck.
>>
>>I'm wondering if anyone has successfully connected to this news server who
>>has a Linksys router. My model is a WRTGS 1.1.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>Stan

Didn't help. I use Mozilla to access news servers so probably this file
is not involved but I changed it anyway.

Thanks
Stan
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:23:48 AM

If you are able to surf the web sites with both
computers ? Then its not the router , it has something to
do with the configuration because if it was the router
you wouldn't be able to surf any webpages

March 11, 2005 9:00:57 PM

Does your new computer have a wireless adapter card install ? if it doesn't
and you want wireless then you need to get a wireless adapter card to use
with your router and also is your router a wireless type ?

> Road_Runner wrote:
>> Have you try not using a router and see as to whether you are able to
>> connect to secnews.netscape.com ?
>>

>> "Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Since I got my new computer with XP (and SP2) and a Linksys router, I
>>>have been unable to connect to the secure news server
>>>"secnews.netscape.com". I run with Windows Firewall Off and turn off
>>>Norton Security, but can't get connected. The problem seems to be in the
>>>router as I cannot access secnews.netscape.com from my new computer or
>>>from my old computer (98SE) wired to the router.
>>>
>>>I've had numerous exchanges with Linksys support and even have tried a
>>>replacement router which they sent me, but no luck.
>>>
>>>I'm wondering if anyone has successfully connected to this news server
>>>who has a Linksys router. My model is a WRTGS 1.1.
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>Stan
>>

> Yes, I can connect direct to Road Runner and get to the server with my old
> computer. I don't have any way to do this with my new computer as I don't
> have the card for wireless. That's what seems to pin it down to the
> router.
>
> Stan
March 11, 2005 9:16:16 PM

Okay after reading the posts that are posted here , it seem that you do have
this , did you configure your router ? It has a firewall build in , did you
read the manual in how its done to allow certain sites or what not , in your
case secnews.netscape.com ? I believe your router is working its just you
need to configure it correctly

"Road_Runner" <xpnewsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Does your new computer have a wireless adapter card install ? if it
> doesn't and you want wireless then you need to get a wireless adapter card
> to use with your router and also is your router a wireless type ?
>

> "Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Road_Runner wrote:
>>> Have you try not using a router and see as to whether you are able to
>>> connect to secnews.netscape.com ?
>>>

>>> "Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message

>> Yes, I can connect direct to Road Runner and get to the server with my
>> old computer. I don't have any way to do this with my new computer as I
>> don't have the card for wireless. That's what seems to pin it down to
>> the router.
>>
>> Stan

March 11, 2005 11:14:37 PM

Donna wrote:
> If you are able to surf the web sites with both
> computers ? Then its not the router , it has something to
> do with the configuration because if it was the router
> you wouldn't be able to surf any webpages

I don't follow your logic. If I can access secnews.netscape.com when i
connect directly to Road Runner with my W98SE computer but can't access
it when I connect through the router, then why isn't it the router?
Everything else works fine with or without the router in the picture.

What do you think might be wrong with the configuration in both of my
computers, the w98SE and the Xp one that neither of them can access
secnews.netscape.com through the router?

Stan

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:14:38 PM

Not everyone knows what Road Runner is , You should
mention its your ISP company but any ways , if you
connect your road runner to your router and have both
computers hook up you did say that you are able to surf
the internet , correct ? If this is true then its not
your router , but if you are not even then able to surf
the websites then it is your router , So which is it ?
Are you able to surf the internet when you have your
router hook up to road runner on both computers ?

March 12, 2005 10:29:27 PM

Donna wrote:

When I connect my old computer directly to Road Runner (my ISP), I can
access the secnews.netscape.com with no problem. I can't check out my
new computer this way because I only have the hardware for wireless and
dialup.

When I connect both computers to the Linksys router and the router to
Road Runner (my ISP), I can do everything I normally do from either
computer like E-mail, other news groups, searching with Google, get to
all my normal websites. But I cannot make a connection to
secnews.netscape.com. I have even tried it with the Norton Firewall
disabled in my XP computer and as many functions as possible in the
router disabled. I have tried numerous router settings as suggested by
Linksys support and none of them will work for getting to the SECURE
secnews.netscape.com news server. The message I always get is that it
timed out.

So, with the connection from computer to router to ISP, I cannot get to
that server from either my computer with XP or my computer with 98SE
(this one has no firewalls).

Are we communicating?

Stan

> Not everyone knows what Road Runner is , You should
> mention its your ISP company but any ways , if you
> connect your road runner to your router and have both
> computers hook up you did say that you are able to surf
> the internet , correct ? If this is true then its not
> your router , but if you are not even then able to surf
> the websites then it is your router , So which is it ?
> Are you able to surf the internet when you have your
> router hook up to road runner on both computers ?

March 12, 2005 10:32:58 PM

Road_Runner wrote:

I have been working with Linksys support for a month trying all kinds of
router settings and it still doesn't work. Linksys has even sent me a
replacement router to make sure it wasn't a hardware problem and that
did not work either.

Stan

> Okay after reading the posts that are posted here , it seem that you do have
> this , did you configure your router ? It has a firewall build in , did you
> read the manual in how its done to allow certain sites or what not , in your
> case secnews.netscape.com ? I believe your router is working its just you
> need to configure it correctly
>

> "Road_Runner" <xpnewsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Does your new computer have a wireless adapter card install ? if it
>>doesn't and you want wireless then you need to get a wireless adapter card
>>to use with your router and also is your router a wireless type ?
>>

>>"Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message

>>>Yes, I can connect direct to Road Runner and get to the server with my
>>>old computer. I don't have any way to do this with my new computer as I
>>>don't have the card for wireless. That's what seems to pin it down to
>>>the router.
>>>
>>>Stan

March 12, 2005 10:32:59 PM

Have you try getting a hold of Netscape support and see as what they can
recommend ?? Also you really never mention with what program exactly are you
using to apply this address secnews.netscape.com on ?

> Road_Runner wrote:
>
> I have been working with Linksys support for a month trying all kinds of
> router settings and it still doesn't work. Linksys has even sent me a
> replacement router to make sure it wasn't a hardware problem and that did
> not work either.
>
> Stan
>
>> Okay after reading the posts that are posted here , it seem that you do
>> have this , did you configure your router ? It has a firewall build in ,
>> did you read the manual in how its done to allow certain sites or what
>> not , in your case secnews.netscape.com ? I believe your router is
>> working its just you need to configure it correctly
>>

>> "Road_Runner" <xpnewsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Does your new computer have a wireless adapter card install ? if it
>>>doesn't and you want wireless then you need to get a wireless adapter
>>>card to use with your router and also is your router a wireless type ?
>>>

>>>"Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:42:37 PM

Stan wrote:
> Donna wrote:
>
> When I connect my old computer directly to Road Runner (my ISP), I can
> access the secnews.netscape.com with no problem. I can't check out my
> new computer this way because I only have the hardware for wireless and
> dialup.
>
> When I connect both computers to the Linksys router and the router to
> Road Runner (my ISP), I can do everything I normally do from either
> computer like E-mail, other news groups, searching with Google, get to
> all my normal websites. But I cannot make a connection to
> secnews.netscape.com. I have even tried it with the Norton Firewall
> disabled in my XP computer and as many functions as possible in the
> router disabled. I have tried numerous router settings as suggested by
> Linksys support and none of them will work for getting to the SECURE
> secnews.netscape.com news server. The message I always get is that it
> timed out.
>
> So, with the connection from computer to router to ISP, I cannot get to
> that server from either my computer with XP or my computer with 98SE
> (this one has no firewalls).
>
> Are we communicating?
>
> Stan
>
>> Not everyone knows what Road Runner is , You should mention its your
>> ISP company but any ways , if you connect your road runner to your
>> router and have both computers hook up you did say that you are able
>> to surf the internet , correct ? If this is true then its not your
>> router , but if you are not even then able to surf the websites then
>> it is your router , So which is it ? Are you able to surf the internet
>> when you have your router hook up to road runner on both computers ?

That server uses an unusual port. Have you opened port 563 in the
router's firewall?
March 13, 2005 5:35:59 AM

Yes, I have opened 563.
!