Problem accessing news server

Since I got my new computer with XP (and SP2) and a Linksys router, I
have been unable to connect to the secure news server
"secnews.netscape.com". I run with Windows Firewall Off and turn off
Norton Security, but can't get connected. The problem seems to be in
the router as I cannot access secnews.netscape.com from my new computer
or from my old computer (98SE) wired to the router.

I've had numerous exchanges with Linksys support and even have tried a
replacement router which they sent me, but no luck.

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully connected to this news server
who has a Linksys router. My model is a WRTGS 1.1.

Thanks.
Stan
18 answers Last reply
More about problem accessing news server

    You don't have Zone Alarm installed do you? If so, you need to add the
    Netscape server as a Trusted Site.

    "Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Since I got my new computer with XP (and SP2) and a Linksys router, I have
    > been unable to connect to the secure news server "secnews.netscape.com".
    > I run with Windows Firewall Off and turn off Norton Security, but can't
    > get connected. The problem seems to be in the router as I cannot access
    > secnews.netscape.com from my new computer or from my old computer (98SE)
    > wired to the router.
    >
    > I've had numerous exchanges with Linksys support and even have tried a
    > replacement router which they sent me, but no luck.
    >
    > I'm wondering if anyone has successfully connected to this news server who
    > has a Linksys router. My model is a WRTGS 1.1.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Stan

    Have you try not using a router and see as to whether you are able to
    connect to secnews.netscape.com ?

    "Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Since I got my new computer with XP (and SP2) and a Linksys router, I have
    > been unable to connect to the secure news server "secnews.netscape.com".
    > I run with Windows Firewall Off and turn off Norton Security, but can't
    > get connected. The problem seems to be in the router as I cannot access
    > secnews.netscape.com from my new computer or from my old computer (98SE)
    > wired to the router.
    >
    > I've had numerous exchanges with Linksys support and even have tried a
    > replacement router which they sent me, but no luck.
    >
    > I'm wondering if anyone has successfully connected to this news server who
    > has a Linksys router. My model is a WRTGS 1.1.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Stan

    I don't think its your Router , but rather I believe it
    you , It sound like you haven't configure your router
    with your new computer , Also it sound like your old
    computer you are using a cable that is connected to your
    Router and your new computer you are trying to use
    wireless , If this is so ? Does your computer have the
    wireless option ? Did you configure your router and the
    computer for wireless ? There is setting you need to
    configure to have this option , Better yet can you load
    webpages with your new computer ? Are you able to surf
    the internet with your new computer ?Lastly did you set
    up the newsgroup for this server ? Is it listed in your
    news tab ?

    Road_Runner wrote:
    > Have you try not using a router and see as to whether you are able to
    > connect to secnews.netscape.com ?
    >

    > "Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Since I got my new computer with XP (and SP2) and a Linksys router, I have
    >>been unable to connect to the secure news server "secnews.netscape.com".
    >>I run with Windows Firewall Off and turn off Norton Security, but can't
    >>get connected. The problem seems to be in the router as I cannot access
    >>secnews.netscape.com from my new computer or from my old computer (98SE)
    >>wired to the router.
    >>
    >>I've had numerous exchanges with Linksys support and even have tried a
    >>replacement router which they sent me, but no luck.
    >>
    >>I'm wondering if anyone has successfully connected to this news server who
    >>has a Linksys router. My model is a WRTGS 1.1.
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>Stan

    Yes, I can connect direct to Road Runner and get to the server with my
    old computer. I don't have any way to do this with my new computer as I
    don't have the card for wireless. That's what seems to pin it down to
    the router.

    Stan

    ColTom2 wrote:

    > You don't have Zone Alarm installed do you? If so, you need to add the
    > Netscape server as a Trusted Site.
    >

    > "Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Since I got my new computer with XP (and SP2) and a Linksys router, I have
    >>been unable to connect to the secure news server "secnews.netscape.com".
    >>I run with Windows Firewall Off and turn off Norton Security, but can't
    >>get connected. The problem seems to be in the router as I cannot access
    >>secnews.netscape.com from my new computer or from my old computer (98SE)
    >>wired to the router.
    >>
    >>I've had numerous exchanges with Linksys support and even have tried a
    >>replacement router which they sent me, but no luck.
    >>
    >>I'm wondering if anyone has successfully connected to this news server who
    >>has a Linksys router. My model is a WRTGS 1.1.
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>Stan

    No, I don't have Zone Alarm installed.

    Stan

    Just had this problem on new install of XPPro.
    Turned out to be one of two things (I don't know which, as I corrected both
    simultaneously)

    1/ system file OUTBOX.DBX - (hidden file, you need to "show" hidden files) -
    find it, RIGHT-click (to show properties) - it should show " Opens with
    Internet Explorer" - mine showed "opens with (unknown). Corrected that (via
    "change" button alongside). It's worth checking the other *.dbx files too.

    2/ In the ng properties, where you put your scrambled sig (over-riding
    default valid e_mail) - conventional widom is that you can put anything
    there BUT it must be in correct format - i.e nospam@thank.you . One should
    NOT put valid e_mail ID's in ng's!!

    NB - mine was a clean installation on a virgin disk, fully updated before
    use. Nevertheless, it glitched.

    Worth a try ? I don't claim originality here - these guys gave me the info!

    Post back if it works - Sincerely, Len.

    Donna wrote:
    > I don't think its your Router , but rather I believe it
    > you , It sound like you haven't configure your router
    > with your new computer , Also it sound like your old
    > computer you are using a cable that is connected to your
    > Router and your new computer you are trying to use
    > wireless , If this is so ? Does your computer have the
    > wireless option ? Did you configure your router and the
    > computer for wireless ? There is setting you need to
    > configure to have this option , Better yet can you load
    > webpages with your new computer ? Are you able to surf
    > the internet with your new computer ?Lastly did you set
    > up the newsgroup for this server ? Is it listed in your
    > news tab ?

    The router was configured for both computers, one wired and the new one
    wireless. The new computer came wireless and works fine doing
    everything else. So does the old computer, works fine on everything else.

    I can surf, search, download, E-mail, use other news servers with no
    problem. I have the secnews.netscape.com news server set up correctly
    as I have verified this by comparing it with the old computer which
    works correctly when I bypass the router. I have also verified my
    settings and conferred with Mozilla people.

    In addition, I have interacted with Linksys support on 6-7 occasions
    trying everything they suggested. They finally sent me a replacement
    router just to be sure it wasn't the router. The replacement doesn't
    work either in the specific case.

    I have also tried to access from O.E. to make sure it wasn't my Mozilla
    (Netscape) and it doesn't work there either.

    It does seem like it is something to do with the router settings or else
    it just doesn't work for a secure news server or for this specific news
    server. That is why I posted, to see if anyone has been successful with
    a Linksys router to this server.

    This problem has been occurring now since I got my new computer over 5
    weeks ago.

    Stan

    Yabbadoo wrote:

    > Just had this problem on new install of XPPro.
    > Turned out to be one of two things (I don't know which, as I corrected both
    > simultaneously)
    >
    > 1/ system file OUTBOX.DBX - (hidden file, you need to "show" hidden files) -
    > find it, RIGHT-click (to show properties) - it should show " Opens with
    > Internet Explorer" - mine showed "opens with (unknown). Corrected that (via
    > "change" button alongside). It's worth checking the other *.dbx files too.
    >
    > 2/ In the ng properties, where you put your scrambled sig (over-riding
    > default valid e_mail) - conventional widom is that you can put anything
    > there BUT it must be in correct format - i.e nospam@thank.you . One should
    > NOT put valid e_mail ID's in ng's!!
    >
    > NB - mine was a clean installation on a virgin disk, fully updated before
    > use. Nevertheless, it glitched.
    >
    > Worth a try ? I don't claim originality here - these guys gave me the info!
    >
    > Post back if it works - Sincerely, Len.
    >
    > "Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Since I got my new computer with XP (and SP2) and a Linksys router, I have
    >>been unable to connect to the secure news server "secnews.netscape.com".
    >>I run with Windows Firewall Off and turn off Norton Security, but can't
    >>get connected. The problem seems to be in the router as I cannot access
    >>secnews.netscape.com from my new computer or from my old computer (98SE)
    >>wired to the router.
    >>
    >>I've had numerous exchanges with Linksys support and even have tried a
    >>replacement router which they sent me, but no luck.
    >>
    >>I'm wondering if anyone has successfully connected to this news server who
    >>has a Linksys router. My model is a WRTGS 1.1.
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>Stan

    Didn't help. I use Mozilla to access news servers so probably this file
    is not involved but I changed it anyway.

    Thanks
    Stan

    If you are able to surf the web sites with both
    computers ? Then its not the router , it has something to
    do with the configuration because if it was the router
    you wouldn't be able to surf any webpages

    Does your new computer have a wireless adapter card install ? if it doesn't
    and you want wireless then you need to get a wireless adapter card to use
    with your router and also is your router a wireless type ?

    > Road_Runner wrote:
    >> Have you try not using a router and see as to whether you are able to
    >> connect to secnews.netscape.com ?
    >>

    >> "Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Since I got my new computer with XP (and SP2) and a Linksys router, I
    >>>have been unable to connect to the secure news server
    >>>"secnews.netscape.com". I run with Windows Firewall Off and turn off
    >>>Norton Security, but can't get connected. The problem seems to be in the
    >>>router as I cannot access secnews.netscape.com from my new computer or
    >>>from my old computer (98SE) wired to the router.
    >>>
    >>>I've had numerous exchanges with Linksys support and even have tried a
    >>>replacement router which they sent me, but no luck.
    >>>
    >>>I'm wondering if anyone has successfully connected to this news server
    >>>who has a Linksys router. My model is a WRTGS 1.1.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.
    >>>Stan
    >>

    > Yes, I can connect direct to Road Runner and get to the server with my old
    > computer. I don't have any way to do this with my new computer as I don't
    > have the card for wireless. That's what seems to pin it down to the
    > router.
    >
    > Stan

    Okay after reading the posts that are posted here , it seem that you do have
    this , did you configure your router ? It has a firewall build in , did you
    read the manual in how its done to allow certain sites or what not , in your
    case secnews.netscape.com ? I believe your router is working its just you
    need to configure it correctly

    Donna wrote:
    > If you are able to surf the web sites with both
    > computers ? Then its not the router , it has something to
    > do with the configuration because if it was the router
    > you wouldn't be able to surf any webpages

    I don't follow your logic. If I can access secnews.netscape.com when i
    connect directly to Road Runner with my W98SE computer but can't access
    it when I connect through the router, then why isn't it the router?
    Everything else works fine with or without the router in the picture.

    What do you think might be wrong with the configuration in both of my
    computers, the w98SE and the Xp one that neither of them can access
    secnews.netscape.com through the router?

    Stan

    Not everyone knows what Road Runner is , You should
    mention its your ISP company but any ways , if you
    connect your road runner to your router and have both
    computers hook up you did say that you are able to surf
    the internet , correct ? If this is true then its not
    your router , but if you are not even then able to surf
    the websites then it is your router , So which is it ?
    Are you able to surf the internet when you have your
    router hook up to road runner on both computers ?

    Donna wrote:

    When I connect my old computer directly to Road Runner (my ISP), I can
    access the secnews.netscape.com with no problem. I can't check out my
    new computer this way because I only have the hardware for wireless and
    dialup.

    When I connect both computers to the Linksys router and the router to
    Road Runner (my ISP), I can do everything I normally do from either
    computer like E-mail, other news groups, searching with Google, get to
    all my normal websites. But I cannot make a connection to
    secnews.netscape.com. I have even tried it with the Norton Firewall
    disabled in my XP computer and as many functions as possible in the
    router disabled. I have tried numerous router settings as suggested by
    Linksys support and none of them will work for getting to the SECURE
    secnews.netscape.com news server. The message I always get is that it
    timed out.

    So, with the connection from computer to router to ISP, I cannot get to
    that server from either my computer with XP or my computer with 98SE
    (this one has no firewalls).

    Are we communicating?

    Stan

    > Not everyone knows what Road Runner is , You should
    > mention its your ISP company but any ways , if you
    > connect your road runner to your router and have both
    > computers hook up you did say that you are able to surf
    > the internet , correct ? If this is true then its not
    > your router , but if you are not even then able to surf
    > the websites then it is your router , So which is it ?
    > Are you able to surf the internet when you have your
    > router hook up to road runner on both computers ?

    Road_Runner wrote:

    I have been working with Linksys support for a month trying all kinds of
    router settings and it still doesn't work. Linksys has even sent me a
    replacement router to make sure it wasn't a hardware problem and that
    did not work either.

    Stan

    > Okay after reading the posts that are posted here , it seem that you do have
    > this , did you configure your router ? It has a firewall build in , did you
    > read the manual in how its done to allow certain sites or what not , in your
    > case secnews.netscape.com ? I believe your router is working its just you
    > need to configure it correctly
    >

    > "Road_Runner" <xpnewsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Does your new computer have a wireless adapter card install ? if it
    >>doesn't and you want wireless then you need to get a wireless adapter card
    >>to use with your router and also is your router a wireless type ?
    >>

    >>"Stan" <spierce@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message

    >>>Yes, I can connect direct to Road Runner and get to the server with my
    >>>old computer. I don't have any way to do this with my new computer as I
    >>>don't have the card for wireless. That's what seems to pin it down to
    >>>the router.
    >>>
    >>>Stan

    Have you try getting a hold of Netscape support and see as what they can
    recommend ?? Also you really never mention with what program exactly are you
    using to apply this address secnews.netscape.com on ?

    Stan wrote:
    > Donna wrote:
    >
    > When I connect my old computer directly to Road Runner (my ISP), I can
    > access the secnews.netscape.com with no problem. I can't check out my
    > new computer this way because I only have the hardware for wireless and
    > dialup.
    >
    > When I connect both computers to the Linksys router and the router to
    > Road Runner (my ISP), I can do everything I normally do from either
    > computer like E-mail, other news groups, searching with Google, get to
    > all my normal websites. But I cannot make a connection to
    > secnews.netscape.com. I have even tried it with the Norton Firewall
    > disabled in my XP computer and as many functions as possible in the
    > router disabled. I have tried numerous router settings as suggested by
    > Linksys support and none of them will work for getting to the SECURE
    > secnews.netscape.com news server. The message I always get is that it
    > timed out.
    >
    > So, with the connection from computer to router to ISP, I cannot get to
    > that server from either my computer with XP or my computer with 98SE
    > (this one has no firewalls).
    >
    > Are we communicating?
    >
    > Stan
    >
    >> Not everyone knows what Road Runner is , You should mention its your
    >> ISP company but any ways , if you connect your road runner to your
    >> router and have both computers hook up you did say that you are able
    >> to surf the internet , correct ? If this is true then its not your
    >> router , but if you are not even then able to surf the websites then
    >> it is your router , So which is it ? Are you able to surf the internet
    >> when you have your router hook up to road runner on both computers ?

    That server uses an unusual port. Have you opened port 563 in the
    router's firewall?
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Yes, I have opened 563.

Routers Computers Servers Windows XP