NEED HELP - Fixing BCCode : 9c

wiz83

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
A friend of mine just told me to check her computer, she told me her computer is having some sort of problems booting up, at times it won't post, has to reset a couple times before it could boot into Windows, but sometimes, when it boots into Windows, it freezes, and blues screen of death stating that the system was shut down to prevent damage made, it's possible that it's being caused by memory, harddisk, or new components installed, then reboot, it reports this error. I've tried doing a google search but couldn't find anything. This is the error code I found ...

BCCode : 9c BCP1 : 00000004 BCP2 : 805462F0 BCP3 : B2000000
BCP4 : 00070F0F OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

Her specs:

Athlon 64 3000+
MSI K8T Neo FSR (VIA K8T800)
1024MB Corsair Value Select
9600XT 256MB AGP
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
WinFast TV 2000 XP

This system is running on stock speed, not overclocked. Disabled onboard sound card, and all unnecessary features, including SATA controller, since she's using IDE HDDs. According to her, she didn't have this problem till about 3 weeks ago, when she had to reboot after doing a Windows Update. So far, I can't find what's the problem.

wiz83

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I didn't have much time, but I helped her boot into memtest, and it ran for 3 hours last night without problems, it got shut down coz my whole block lost electrical power supply, due to the snow storm. We got like 20+inches of snow ... it's crazy ... so you still think it's a memory issue?

wiz83

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I did indeed cleared the CMOS yesterday, because I wanted to make sure it's running at default settings, and made sure it's not overclocked.

I guess I'll test the harddisk out. Is there a good proggie that I can use to check for HDD errors ? Back in the days, I used to use CHECKDISK to check every sector for badsectors etc etc ... it seemed windows doesn't come with it anymore ... I can't just do clean install now, coz my housemate has lots of junks in there needs to back up ... and I want to make sure, if I format that HDD, I'm able to boot up after that, coz she can still boot into Windows occasionally, but sometimes that error occur that needs to be rebooted.

Windows does do a surface scan. If you check the drive for errors, you'll see two boxes. The one on the bottom says "Scan for and attempt to recover bad sectors", put a check in this box and start the scan. When it gets to the surface scan, it will say that part of the check can only be completed after a reboot. You reboot and it will go into the checkdisk screen and do a surface scan. Be sure not to hit any keys before it starts the scan, doing so will abort the scan.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Check the Event Log to see if there is any evidence of trouble. Also check the device manager to see if Windows has disabled anything.

If it won't post, that points to hardware problems, but this might give you a clue as to what isn't working right.

Also, you can run Checkdisk from the command line with the chkdsk command. Be sure to use the /f parameter if you want it to fix any errors it finds. It will probably tell you that you need to reboot to check your system drive. This is normal.

Chkdsk from the command line is preferable because it gives feedback. The graphical interface has a progress bar, but it doesn't tell you what it is doing or has done.

wiz83

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I removed everything and added 1 part a time, and I think I've found the problem.

WinFast TV 2000XP - TV Input card

I don't know what's the problem, but without this on, my friend's comp boot without problems. According to my friend, she said that card has been working perfectly, she's been watching video off it for the last 2 years, didn't give any problems, and this problem didn't occur till about a month ago, after a Windows Update.

Any of you guys got any news on this?