Cleaning up a Win 98 that was upgraded to Win 2000

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

On a multiboot system, I had Win 98 (on C) and Win 2000 (on J).
Last Fall (USA), I installed Win 2000 over the Win 98 on C.
Of course this is not clean, but things have been mostly OK until recently.

A few daze ago, I tried to update the Lexmark printer drivers in both OS.
The one on C has caused problems. Before addressing the printer problem, I
feel that I should first address the following:

Upon further investigation, in the OS on C, I just noticed that the are 3
problem devices listed in System Information.

1. Logical Disk Manager at the key Root\DMIO\0000 has error code 22.
2. The printer key has error code 28.
3. Microcode Update Device at key Root\System\0001 has error code 19.

In Device Manager, I noticed a yellow exclamation mark which informed me
that error code 19 means
"Windows could not retrieve the device's information from the registry".

The registry keys/values for Microcode Update Device are identical for both
the OS on C and the OS on J.
I also found MSFT KB articles 307152 and 288302, tho written for Win XP,
likely also apply to Win 2000. However, the articles refer to error 24, not
error 19.

I do not know what error codes 22 and 28 mean?

What's the best way to eliminate these issues, remembering that this not a
hardware issue as the other OS on the same hardware has no such problems?

Is the best way to just do a Repair of Win 2000 on C?

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
8 answers Last reply
More about cleaning upgraded 2000
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    This may help. The best solution is a clean install. Upgrades are almost
    always plagued with corruption.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=245386


    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect


    "Howard Kaikow" wrote:
    | On a multiboot system, I had Win 98 (on C) and Win 2000 (on J).
    | Last Fall (USA), I installed Win 2000 over the Win 98 on C.
    | Of course this is not clean, but things have been mostly OK until
    recently.
    |
    | A few daze ago, I tried to update the Lexmark printer drivers in both OS.
    | The one on C has caused problems. Before addressing the printer problem, I
    | feel that I should first address the following:
    |
    | Upon further investigation, in the OS on C, I just noticed that the are 3
    | problem devices listed in System Information.
    |
    | 1. Logical Disk Manager at the key Root\DMIO\0000 has error code 22.
    | 2. The printer key has error code 28.
    | 3. Microcode Update Device at key Root\System\0001 has error code 19.
    |
    | In Device Manager, I noticed a yellow exclamation mark which informed me
    | that error code 19 means
    | "Windows could not retrieve the device's information from the registry".
    |
    | The registry keys/values for Microcode Update Device are identical for
    both
    | the OS on C and the OS on J.
    | I also found MSFT KB articles 307152 and 288302, tho written for Win XP,
    | likely also apply to Win 2000. However, the articles refer to error 24,
    not
    | error 19.
    |
    | I do not know what error codes 22 and 28 mean?
    |
    | What's the best way to eliminate these issues, remembering that this not a
    | hardware issue as the other OS on the same hardware has no such problems?
    |
    | Is the best way to just do a Repair of Win 2000 on C?
    |
    | --
    | http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
    |
    |
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    news:uDrFeEvMEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > This may help. The best solution is a clean install. Upgrades are almost
    > always plagued with corruption.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=245386

    Thanx.


    It would seem that the solution to error 19 may be easiest with a repair.
    I can uninstall the MicroCode Update DEvice, but I don't know how to
    re-install as it is not a physical device.

    Error 22 indicates that I dhould enable the Logical Disk Manager. Know of no
    reason why it would have been disabled.

    The error 28 for the printer is still a puzzle. I guess I'll try to install
    Lexmark's .inf.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Error 22 went away when I enabled the Logical Disk Manager. I suspect that
    this error was due to the Win 2000 install, perhaps, being confused because
    I had been running a program in Win 98 that changed drive letter
    assignments. Perhaps, that program disabled something that confused the Win
    2000 install.

    Interestingly, when the error 22 went away, the error 28 for the printer
    also went away.

    Two remaining problems are:

    1. Why the error 19 on the Microcode Update Device. Perhaps, it is a false
    error, as is the error reported in the KB articles for Win XP? I guess one
    approach would be to run a Win 2000 Repair.

    2. Problem installing update to Lexmark's printer drivers, likely due to
    driver installation believing system is win9x instead of win 2000. I guess
    I need to uninstall and disconnect the printer, then reconnect the printer
    and have Win 2000 find the printer.

    --
    http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
    "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
    news:Ou2n7PvMEHA.1340@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > "Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > news:uDrFeEvMEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > > This may help. The best solution is a clean install. Upgrades are almost
    > > always plagued with corruption.
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=245386
    >
    > Thanx.
    >
    >
    > It would seem that the solution to error 19 may be easiest with a repair.
    > I can uninstall the MicroCode Update DEvice, but I don't know how to
    > re-install as it is not a physical device.
    >
    > Error 22 indicates that I dhould enable the Logical Disk Manager. Know of
    no
    > reason why it would have been disabled.
    >
    > The error 28 for the printer is still a puzzle. I guess I'll try to
    install
    > Lexmark's .inf.
    >
    >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I found a number of keys in the registry that identify the system as being
    an upgrade:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\PrevOSVersion\PlatformName = "Windows 98"

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Win9xUpg

    I've not yet been courageous enough to delete those keys.

    I did delete the following with no ill effect:

    [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce]"Prin
    ting Migration"="rundll32.exe
    C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\spool\\migrate.dll,ProcessWin9xNetworkPrinters"

    Somehow, the Lexmark installation code is being deceived into believing the
    system is Win 9x.

    Seems to have something to do with the bidirectional drivers.

    ----------------------------------------------------------
    MICRON: --- Friday, May 07, 2004 - 09:52:18 ---
    09:52:18 G:\HKFIES-G\LEXMARK\WIN32DRV\INSTALL\SETUP.EXE /L:ENGLISH
    Version: 7.4.2.0
    Selected install components:
    C:\DOCUME~1\HOWARD~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\LEXTEMP\lex1\setup.ini
    - PRINTER DRIVERS:
    Model: Lexmark Optra E312
    Data Stream: PS
    Port: LPT1:
    Comments: Created by Lexmark Custom Install,May 07,2004,09:52

    Model: Lexmark Optra E312
    Data Stream: PCL
    Port: LPT1:
    Default Driver
    Comments: Created by Lexmark Custom Install,May 07,2004,09:52


    - BIDI SUPPORT FOR DRIVERS:
    Status Window
    09:52:18 Starting installation on local computer.
    09:52:18 MS Windows 9x
    09:52:18 Copying files for software uninstall ...
    09:52:18 Printer Drivers
    09:52:18 Generating list of driver files . . .
    09:52:19 Copying driver files . . .
    09:52:19 Generating list of installation files for driver bidirectional
    support . . .
    09:52:19 Copying driver bidirectional support installation files . . .
    09:52:19 Adding printer language monitor .....
    09:52:19 Installation Error -->
    The environment specified is invalid. 09:52:21 Installation Error -->
    Installation failed to add language monitor on local computer.
    09:52:21 Setup.exe: Error code = 16
    09:52:21 --- Friday, May 07, 2004 - 09:52:21 ---
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I really believe you simply have the basic-standard-corrupt-upgrade
    installation.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect


    "Howard Kaikow" wrote:
    |I found a number of keys in the registry that identify the system as being
    | an upgrade:
    |
    | HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    | NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\PrevOSVersion\PlatformName = "Windows 98"
    |
    | HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Win9xUpg
    |
    | I've not yet been courageous enough to delete those keys.
    |
    | I did delete the following with no ill effect:
    |
    |
    [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce]"Prin
    | ting Migration"="rundll32.exe
    | C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\spool\\migrate.dll,ProcessWin9xNetworkPrinters"
    |
    | Somehow, the Lexmark installation code is being deceived into believing
    the
    | system is Win 9x.
    |
    | Seems to have something to do with the bidirectional drivers.
    |
    | ----------------------------------------------------------
    | MICRON: --- Friday, May 07, 2004 - 09:52:18 ---
    | 09:52:18 G:\HKFIES-G\LEXMARK\WIN32DRV\INSTALL\SETUP.EXE /L:ENGLISH
    | Version: 7.4.2.0
    | Selected install components:
    | C:\DOCUME~1\HOWARD~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\LEXTEMP\lex1\setup.ini
    | - PRINTER DRIVERS:
    | Model: Lexmark Optra E312
    | Data Stream: PS
    | Port: LPT1:
    | Comments: Created by Lexmark Custom Install,May 07,2004,09:52
    |
    | Model: Lexmark Optra E312
    | Data Stream: PCL
    | Port: LPT1:
    | Default Driver
    | Comments: Created by Lexmark Custom Install,May 07,2004,09:52
    |
    |
    | - BIDI SUPPORT FOR DRIVERS:
    | Status Window
    | 09:52:18 Starting installation on local computer.
    | 09:52:18 MS Windows 9x
    | 09:52:18 Copying files for software uninstall ...
    | 09:52:18 Printer Drivers
    | 09:52:18 Generating list of driver files . . .
    | 09:52:19 Copying driver files . . .
    | 09:52:19 Generating list of installation files for driver bidirectional
    | support . . .
    | 09:52:19 Copying driver bidirectional support installation files . . .
    | 09:52:19 Adding printer language monitor .....
    | 09:52:19 Installation Error -->
    | The environment specified is invalid. 09:52:21 Installation Error -->
    | Installation failed to add language monitor on local computer.
    | 09:52:21 Setup.exe: Error code = 16
    | 09:52:21 --- Friday, May 07, 2004 - 09:52:21 ---
    |
    |
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I was thinking of two approaches:

    1. Re-install Win 2000 over itself. Wouldn't that eliminate the keys
    referring to the win 98 upgrade, whilst leaving the applications intact? But
    I'm not sure that I have enough free space on the drive if much space is
    needed for temporary files during the re-install.

    2. Do a repair. But I doubt that this would remove the keys referring to the
    Win 98 upgrade.

    --
    http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
    "Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    news:%23Y8L1ZKNEHA.2844@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > I really believe you simply have the basic-standard-corrupt-upgrade
    > installation.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >
    > "Howard Kaikow" wrote:
    > |I found a number of keys in the registry that identify the system as
    being
    > | an upgrade:
    > |
    > | HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    > | NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\PrevOSVersion\PlatformName = "Windows 98"
    > |
    > | HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Win9xUpg
    > |
    > | I've not yet been courageous enough to delete those keys.
    > |
    > | I did delete the following with no ill effect:
    > |
    > |
    >
    [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce]"Prin
    > | ting Migration"="rundll32.exe
    > | C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\spool\\migrate.dll,ProcessWin9xNetworkPrinters"
    > |
    > | Somehow, the Lexmark installation code is being deceived into believing
    > the
    > | system is Win 9x.
    > |
    > | Seems to have something to do with the bidirectional drivers.
    > |
    > | ----------------------------------------------------------
    > | MICRON: --- Friday, May 07, 2004 - 09:52:18 ---
    > | 09:52:18 G:\HKFIES-G\LEXMARK\WIN32DRV\INSTALL\SETUP.EXE /L:ENGLISH
    > | Version: 7.4.2.0
    > | Selected install components:
    > | C:\DOCUME~1\HOWARD~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\LEXTEMP\lex1\setup.ini
    > | - PRINTER DRIVERS:
    > | Model: Lexmark Optra E312
    > | Data Stream: PS
    > | Port: LPT1:
    > | Comments: Created by Lexmark Custom Install,May 07,2004,09:52
    > |
    > | Model: Lexmark Optra E312
    > | Data Stream: PCL
    > | Port: LPT1:
    > | Default Driver
    > | Comments: Created by Lexmark Custom Install,May 07,2004,09:52
    > |
    > |
    > | - BIDI SUPPORT FOR DRIVERS:
    > | Status Window
    > | 09:52:18 Starting installation on local computer.
    > | 09:52:18 MS Windows 9x
    > | 09:52:18 Copying files for software uninstall ...
    > | 09:52:18 Printer Drivers
    > | 09:52:18 Generating list of driver files . . .
    > | 09:52:19 Copying driver files . . .
    > | 09:52:19 Generating list of installation files for driver bidirectional
    > | support . . .
    > | 09:52:19 Copying driver bidirectional support installation files . . .
    > | 09:52:19 Adding printer language monitor .....
    > | 09:52:19 Installation Error -->
    > | The environment specified is invalid. 09:52:21 Installation Error -->
    > | Installation failed to add language monitor on local computer.
    > | 09:52:21 Setup.exe: Error code = 16
    > | 09:52:21 --- Friday, May 07, 2004 - 09:52:21 ---
    > |
    > |
    >
    >
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    "Howard Kaikow" wrote:
    |I was thinking of two approaches:
    |
    | 1. Re-install Win 2000 over itself. Wouldn't that eliminate the keys
    | referring to the win 98 upgrade, whilst leaving the applications intact?
    But
    | I'm not sure that I have enough free space on the drive if much space is
    | needed for temporary files during the re-install.
    * You can try it. This is the same as an in-place upgrade which is probably
    where you're at now.

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

    What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

    | 2. Do a repair. But I doubt that this would remove the keys referring to
    the
    | Win 98 upgrade.
    * At this point there really isn't anything to repair.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Thanx.

    I've seen those articles, but they are not really detailed enough.

    The error with the Microcode Update thingee would likely be fixed by a
    repair.

    I'll likely try the re-install after I do the next full backup.

    --
    http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
    "Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    news:OdeeVwWNEHA.2780@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > "Howard Kaikow" wrote:
    > |I was thinking of two approaches:
    > |
    > | 1. Re-install Win 2000 over itself. Wouldn't that eliminate the keys
    > | referring to the win 98 upgrade, whilst leaving the applications intact?
    > But
    > | I'm not sure that I have enough free space on the drive if much space is
    > | needed for temporary files during the re-install.
    > * You can try it. This is the same as an in-place upgrade which is
    probably
    > where you're at now.
    >
    > How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175
    >
    > What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952
    >
    > | 2. Do a repair. But I doubt that this would remove the keys referring to
    > the
    > | Win 98 upgrade.
    > * At this point there really isn't anything to repair.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    >
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows