29Fps in FEAR w/ 8800GTS?????

JefftheCheff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
I have an average of 29Fps in fear w/ my 8800GTS, WTF. Everything isn't even maxed, I am running Vista Ultimate x64, any suggestions? thanks

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Hmm. Don't know what to tell you besides Vista drops performance in certain games, yet it shouldn't be that bad.

More q's:
Whats the +12 volt rating on your PSU?
GTS 640mb or 320mb and monitor resolution @ play?
And is it logey in other games?

JefftheCheff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
640mb on the gpu, and 2gb of ram, as for the PSU im not to educated on how they work, but its an Ernemax Liberty 500w Modular, and i play at 1280x720 and Counter Strike Source works incredibly well

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
The RAM on the GTS shouldn't matter... he should pwn FEAR either way.

@OP: Did you install nVidia's 100.65 Vista drivers yet? Or are you running on the stock Microsoft drivers?

It's either drivers or, as blacken mentioned, your PSU.

JefftheCheff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Yes, i do have the latest drivers, i just tried playing the game again and it was fairly smooth, then a movie clip came on and the game resumed and it was laggy as hell, i know the potential is there, it just isnt holding

skuzzy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
We are pretty much the same specs. I chose Windows XP Pro.

XFX 8800GTS 640MB (not overclocked).
P5NSLI Motherboard
Core 2 Duo - E6600 (not overclocked).
1024 x 2 Crucial 667Mhz RAM (2 Gigs).
2x250Gig Seagate 7200.10

F.E.A.R set at 1280x960 x 32 from advanced config App w/ DX 9 render
Vsync OFF (do this, it will cut your FPS down to prevent tearing on the screen).

Computer High
Graphics Card Custom

Maximum for all physics
Maximum for sound
Maximum for effects + shell casings on
Maximum for all video card effects volumetrics lights on.

Advanced Video Card Options: Graphics

FSAA 4x
All maximum
Texture Filtering Anisotropic 16x
Pixel Doubling is OFF
DX Shaders Off

Virus Scanner disabled.

Testing yields:

38 min
80 average
186 Max.

Definitely turn off vsync.

The reason why I am using custom was that I set every setting as high as possible and having vsync off.

If I use a graphics card of "high" with vsync on, I get min 36, average 63, max 72.

Redo it with the "high" and with vsync off, I get min 54, ave 118, max 299.

I think it's your Vsync.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I think it has to do with the fact you're running Vista x86-64 and F.E.A.R. does not have a 64-bit version. :?
Are you having problems with any other 32-bit titles? Have you tried Far Cry x64 or Half-Life2: Lost Coast x64 to see how they run?

truromeo4juliet

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Yes, i do have the latest drivers, i just tried playing the game again and it was fairly smooth, then a movie clip came on and the game resumed and it was laggy as hell, i know the potential is there, it just isnt holding

only few things I can think of right now that would cause this are:

1.) Fragmentation... you DID defrag after installing, right?

2.) Anti-Aliasing... but, that shouldn't be that bad with the 8800GTS unless you've got like 16x turned on >,>

3.) Running too many processes in the background...
- are you running security software, like McAfee or Norton?
-- don't let your anti-virus kick in while you're playing games >.<
- If you have 3rd party defrag tools, like Diskeeper, don't let the engine's kick in while you're playing either <.<
- don't leave internet windows open either, especially if you're on a page riddled with flash-media advertisements...
- if you use instant messengers like AIM, Yahoo, MSN, disable all pop-up notifications.. as a matter of fact, turn them off while gaming and turn on xFire :thumbsup:

4.) Power requirements might not be properly met... make sure your HDD and your Video card have their own dedicated rails >,> and how many fans is your system running? LED and CCFLs too... we need to know these things -_-

5.) Are you overclocking / have you adjusted anything in your BIOS yet?

6.) Do you have a soundcard? I found in UT2K4 that my lack of sound card, with certain options enabled (so believes other forum members) was the cause of my horrible Frame Rate...

just some ideas *brain fried from drunken stupor* cheers

Somethings wrong somewhere maybe Vista is holding you back, my F.E.A.R. Minimum = 52, Average = 97, Maximum = 226 running WinXP with 2 7800GTX in SLI, on a DFI NF4-DR SLI M/B, FX57, 2G Corsair 3500Pro.

Most 8800GTS are just barely out performing my setup but you shouldn't be below it, maybe Vista is holding you back in that particular game, have you tested any others?

Whats the rest of your specs?

Sorry I'm running it at 1600 x 1200 with the video settings maxxed in custom.

Another sorry, I didn't see you'd already listed your specs, in a later post.

corpclegg

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
its got to be vista or something. your specs are better than mine. i get low 48 average 108 high in the 200s . that is with everything all the way up and vsync off at 1280 1024.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Are you by chance running X-fire messanger while trying to play? I know I had some major issues with frames and when I tried the game with X-fire turned off my frames shot back up. Just a thought though hope you figure it out.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Are you by chance running X-fire messanger while trying to play? I know I had some major issues with frames and when I tried the game with X-fire turned off my frames shot back up. Just a thought though hope you figure it out.
I had that same problem.

JefftheCheff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
i am running absolutely nothing in the backround, and i always have vsync turned off, maybe it is vista 64, but i have the latest patch for fear (not sure if that matters)

JefftheCheff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
have you installed the proper nvidia drivers?

try DLing a fresh one from the site.
did it already, i was just playing and it was smooth, but every time the game switches a scene or saves or i change a setting it gets choppy and low fps

Your situation sounds odd, the way it switches like that. I've played fear on four different machines with foud different cpu/video card setups. The only time I ever had a problem was when I had soft shadows enabled. Just a thought. If you find the answer, please post it.

JefftheCheff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Your situation sounds odd, the way it switches like that. I've played fear on four different machines with foud different cpu/video card setups. The only time I ever had a problem was when I had soft shadows enabled. Just a thought. If you find the answer, please post it.
I'll try that, but i cant right now; my pops is too busy using the 8800 to play "Chess Titans"

Linear

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I know this sounds like a stupid question, but, What kind of mouse are you running ? There was and still is alot of problems with the FEAR engine and certain Logitech Mice, especially the ones that use the ''HID-Compliant'' driver (look under your Device manager, under 'human interface devices') if you have any Devices listed under there with 'HID' at the beggining, then Disable them and try running FEAR, this completly solved all the problems i had with FEAR and low FPS, for the record im using a Logitech G7 SE.

ARM

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
Just a suggestion, but an oem version of Vista premium is only ~£70/$140.

Maybe you could try with the 32 bit version?