help files don't work

Some program's help files no longer work on my system. chm ones are mostly
fine, but other types give error messages when I click a hyperlink.like:
Line 25
char 1
Error invalid argument
Code 0
URL
mk:@MSITStore:F:\Program%20files\Autodesk\Inventor%206\PSS\Tutorial\ADMT_ass
_6_0.chm::/ADMT_ass/html/ADMT_ass_05.htm

when I press yes after "do you want to continue running scripts on this page
" nothing happens, the url doesn't open.

Any ideas? I have done the obvious & reinstalled
6 answers Last reply
More about help files work

    Hi Essie:

    In looking through some previous cases I came across this information. The
    information has been put into an article, however the article is still being
    written and is not complete yet.

    Please try these steps and see if this will allow the help files to work
    correctly.

    CAUSE
    ======
    hhctrl.ocx has been replaced with an incorrect version or is corrupt
    (hhctrl.ocx is
    the Microsoft HTML Help Control).

    RESOLUTION
    ===========
    1) Boot to Safe-mode to disable Windows File Protection
    2) Rename System32\hhctrl.ocx and System32\DLLCache\hhtctrl.ocx (if it
    exists)
    3) Expand hhctrl.oc_ from the Windows 2000 CD or copy hhctrl.ocx from the
    %SystemRoot%\ServicePackFiles\ directory.
    4) Start - Run - regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx

    You should now be able to open help files both directly and via application
    Help
    menus.

    Please reply to the group as individual email sent to this address will not
    be delivered.

    :
    mk:@MSITStore:F:\Program%20files\Autodesk\Inventor%206\PSS\Tutorial\ADMT_ass
    : _6_0.chm::/ADMT_ass/html/ADMT_ass_05.htm
    :
    : when I press yes after "do you want to continue running scripts on this
    page
    : " nothing happens, the url doesn't open.
    :
    : Any ideas? I have done the obvious & reinstalled
    :
    :
    :

    Wow, that was quick, I will try it tomorrow when I am less tired,
    thanks.
    --
    MdD

    "Sean Dwyer[MSFT]" <sdwyer@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Essie:
    >
    > In looking through some previous cases I came across this information. The
    > information has been put into an article, however the article is still
    being
    > written and is not complete yet.
    >
    > Please try these steps and see if this will allow the help files to work
    > correctly.
    >
    > CAUSE
    > ======
    > hhctrl.ocx has been replaced with an incorrect version or is corrupt
    > (hhctrl.ocx is
    > the Microsoft HTML Help Control).
    >
    > RESOLUTION
    > ===========
    > 1) Boot to Safe-mode to disable Windows File Protection
    > 2) Rename System32\hhctrl.ocx and System32\DLLCache\hhtctrl.ocx (if it
    > exists)
    > 3) Expand hhctrl.oc_ from the Windows 2000 CD or copy hhctrl.ocx from the
    > %SystemRoot%\ServicePackFiles\ directory.
    > 4) Start - Run - regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
    >
    > You should now be able to open help files both directly and via
    application
    > Help
    > menus.

    rights.
    > Please reply to the group as individual email sent to this address will
    not
    > be delivered.
    >

    > "EssieP" <mdd@mdalgleish.co.uk> wrote in message
    > : Some program's help files no longer work on my system. chm ones are
    mostly
    > : fine, but other types give error messages when I click a hyperlink.like:
    > : Line 25
    > : char 1
    > : Error invalid argument
    > : Code 0
    > : URL
    > :

    mk:@MSITStore:F:\Program%20files\Autodesk\Inventor%206\PSS\Tutorial\ADMT_ass
    > : _6_0.chm::/ADMT_ass/html/ADMT_ass_05.htm
    > :
    > : when I press yes after "do you want to continue running scripts on this
    > page
    > : " nothing happens, the url doesn't open.
    > :
    > : Any ideas? I have done the obvious & reinstalled
    > :
    > :
    > :

    It didn't work
    I get the same error mesages still, windows own help suffers from this too
    however:
    1/ I don't know how to expand the .oc_ file
    so I copied the one over from the updates folder.
    2/ run regsrv doesn't work either- it cant find the app or componants

    puzzled

    I am!

    MdD

    "Sean Dwyer[MSFT]" <sdwyer@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Essie:
    >
    > In looking through some previous cases I came across this information. The
    > information has been put into an article, however the article is still
    being
    > written and is not complete yet.
    >
    > Please try these steps and see if this will allow the help files to work
    > correctly.
    >
    > CAUSE
    > ======
    > hhctrl.ocx has been replaced with an incorrect version or is corrupt
    > (hhctrl.ocx is
    > the Microsoft HTML Help Control).
    >
    > RESOLUTION
    > ===========
    > 1) Boot to Safe-mode to disable Windows File Protection
    > 2) Rename System32\hhctrl.ocx and System32\DLLCache\hhtctrl.ocx (if it
    > exists)
    > 3) Expand hhctrl.oc_ from the Windows 2000 CD or copy hhctrl.ocx from the
    > %SystemRoot%\ServicePackFiles\ directory.
    > 4) Start - Run - regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
    >
    > You should now be able to open help files both directly and via
    application
    > Help
    > menus.

    rights.
    > Please reply to the group as individual email sent to this address will
    not
    > be delivered.
    >

    > "EssieP" <mdd@mdalgleish.co.uk> wrote in message
    > : Some program's help files no longer work on my system. chm ones are
    mostly
    > : fine, but other types give error messages when I click a hyperlink.like:
    > : Line 25
    > : char 1
    > : Error invalid argument
    > : Code 0
    > : URL
    > :

    mk:@MSITStore:F:\Program%20files\Autodesk\Inventor%206\PSS\Tutorial\ADMT_ass
    > : _6_0.chm::/ADMT_ass/html/ADMT_ass_05.htm
    > :
    > : when I press yes after "do you want to continue running scripts on this
    > page
    > : " nothing happens, the url doesn't open.
    > :
    > : Any ideas? I have done the obvious & reinstalled
    > :
    > :
    > :

    MdD,

    > Some program's help files no longer work on my system. chm ones are mostly
    > fine, but other types give error messages when I click a hyperlink.

    This problem is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 822989
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822989). Unless you've installed
    Service Pack 4 for Windows 2000, the solution should be to apply
    Critical Update 811630, which is available from here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811630

    If you have installed Service Pack 4, the fix is to open a Command
    Prompt window and then run these two commands:

    regsvr32 /u <drive>:\winnt\system32\hhctrl.ocx
    regsvr32 <drive>:\winnt\system32\hhctrl.ocx

    The first command unregisters the HTML Help ActiveX control, which is
    what provides the navigation features in the help files; the second
    command re-registers the control. This should fix the broken registry
    entries that are responsible for the problem.

    --
    Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

    OK, so I got the regserv to work, it was a small error in the path. But
    still, no improvement with the help file's page links.

    > It didn't work
    > I get the same error mesages still, windows own help suffers from this too
    > however:
    > 1/ I don't know how to expand the .oc_ file
    > so I copied the one over from the updates folder.
    > 2/ run regsrv doesn't work either- it cant find the app or componants
    >
    > puzzled
    >
    > I am!
    >
    > MdD
    >
    > "Sean Dwyer[MSFT]" <sdwyer@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Essie:
    > >
    > > In looking through some previous cases I came across this information.
    The
    > > information has been put into an article, however the article is still
    > being
    > > written and is not complete yet.
    > >
    > > Please try these steps and see if this will allow the help files to work
    > > correctly.
    > >
    > > CAUSE
    > > ======
    > > hhctrl.ocx has been replaced with an incorrect version or is corrupt
    > > (hhctrl.ocx is
    > > the Microsoft HTML Help Control).
    > >
    > > RESOLUTION
    > > ===========
    > > 1) Boot to Safe-mode to disable Windows File Protection
    > > 2) Rename System32\hhctrl.ocx and System32\DLLCache\hhtctrl.ocx (if it
    > > exists)
    > > 3) Expand hhctrl.oc_ from the Windows 2000 CD or copy hhctrl.ocx from
    the
    > > %SystemRoot%\ServicePackFiles\ directory.
    > > 4) Start - Run - regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
    > >
    > > You should now be able to open help files both directly and via
    > application
    > > Help
    > > menus.
    > >
    > > --
    > rights.
    > > Please reply to the group as individual email sent to this address will
    > not
    > > be delivered.
    > >

    > > "EssieP" <mdd@mdalgleish.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > : Some program's help files no longer work on my system. chm ones are
    > mostly
    > > : fine, but other types give error messages when I click a
    hyperlink.like:
    > > : Line 25
    > > : char 1
    > > : Error invalid argument
    > > : Code 0
    > > : URL
    > > :

    mk:@MSITStore:F:\Program%20files\Autodesk\Inventor%206\PSS\Tutorial\ADMT_ass
    > > : _6_0.chm::/ADMT_ass/html/ADMT_ass_05.htm
    > > :
    > > : when I press yes after "do you want to continue running scripts on
    this
    > > page
    > > : " nothing happens, the url doesn't open.
    > > :
    > > : Any ideas? I have done the obvious & reinstalled
    > > :
    > > :
    > > :

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    YEAY !!!
    that works !
    How delighted am I ? a= very.

    I did have the service pack 4, so unregister/register comd prompts did the
    trick.

    thanks very much.

    --
    MdD

    "Pete Lees" <PD.Lees@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > MdD,
    >
    > > Some program's help files no longer work on my system. chm ones are
    mostly
    > > fine, but other types give error messages when I click a hyperlink.
    >
    > This problem is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 822989
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822989). Unless you've installed
    > Service Pack 4 for Windows 2000, the solution should be to apply
    > Critical Update 811630, which is available from here:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811630
    >
    > If you have installed Service Pack 4, the fix is to open a Command
    > Prompt window and then run these two commands:
    >
    > regsvr32 /u <drive>:\winnt\system32\hhctrl.ocx
    > regsvr32 <drive>:\winnt\system32\hhctrl.ocx
    >
    > The first command unregisters the HTML Help ActiveX control, which is
    > what provides the navigation features in the help files; the second
    > command re-registers the control. This should fix the broken registry
    > entries that are responsible for the problem.
    >
    > --
    > Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

Microsoft Windows