help files don't work

Some program's help files no longer work on my system. chm ones are mostly
fine, but other types give error messages when I click a hyperlink.like:
Line 25
char 1
Error invalid argument
Code 0
URL
mk:mad:MSITStore:F:\Program%20files\Autodesk\Inventor%206\PSS\Tutorial\ADMT_ass
_6_0.chm::/ADMT_ass/html/ADMT_ass_05.htm

when I press yes after "do you want to continue running scripts on this page
" nothing happens, the url doesn't open.

Any ideas? I have done the obvious & reinstalled

Hi Essie:

In looking through some previous cases I came across this information. The
information has been put into an article, however the article is still being
written and is not complete yet.

Please try these steps and see if this will allow the help files to work
correctly.

CAUSE
======
hhctrl.ocx has been replaced with an incorrect version or is corrupt
(hhctrl.ocx is
the Microsoft HTML Help Control).

RESOLUTION
===========
1) Boot to Safe-mode to disable Windows File Protection
2) Rename System32\hhctrl.ocx and System32\DLLCache\hhtctrl.ocx (if it
exists)
3) Expand hhctrl.oc_ from the Windows 2000 CD or copy hhctrl.ocx from the
%SystemRoot%\ServicePackFiles\ directory.
4) Start - Run - regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx

You should now be able to open help files both directly and via application
Help
menus.

Please reply to the group as individual email sent to this address will not
be delivered.

:
mk:mad:MSITStore:F:\Program%20files\Autodesk\Inventor%206\PSS\Tutorial\ADMT_ass
: _6_0.chm::/ADMT_ass/html/ADMT_ass_05.htm
:
: when I press yes after "do you want to continue running scripts on this
page
: " nothing happens, the url doesn't open.
:
: Any ideas? I have done the obvious & reinstalled
:
:
:

Wow, that was quick, I will try it tomorrow when I am less tired,
thanks.
--
MdD

"Sean Dwyer[MSFT]" <sdwyer@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Essie:
>
> In looking through some previous cases I came across this information. The
> information has been put into an article, however the article is still
being
> written and is not complete yet.
>
> Please try these steps and see if this will allow the help files to work
> correctly.
>
> CAUSE
> ======
> hhctrl.ocx has been replaced with an incorrect version or is corrupt
> (hhctrl.ocx is
> the Microsoft HTML Help Control).
>
> RESOLUTION
> ===========
> 1) Boot to Safe-mode to disable Windows File Protection
> 2) Rename System32\hhctrl.ocx and System32\DLLCache\hhtctrl.ocx (if it
> exists)
> 3) Expand hhctrl.oc_ from the Windows 2000 CD or copy hhctrl.ocx from the
> %SystemRoot%\ServicePackFiles\ directory.
> 4) Start - Run - regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
>
> You should now be able to open help files both directly and via
application
> Help
> menus.

rights.
> Please reply to the group as individual email sent to this address will
not
> be delivered.
>

> "EssieP" <mdd@mdalgleish.co.uk> wrote in message
> : Some program's help files no longer work on my system. chm ones are
mostly
> : fine, but other types give error messages when I click a hyperlink.like:
> : Line 25
> : char 1
> : Error invalid argument
> : Code 0
> : URL
> :

mk:mad:MSITStore:F:\Program%20files\Autodesk\Inventor%206\PSS\Tutorial\ADMT_ass
> : _6_0.chm::/ADMT_ass/html/ADMT_ass_05.htm
> :
> : when I press yes after "do you want to continue running scripts on this
> page
> : " nothing happens, the url doesn't open.
> :
> : Any ideas? I have done the obvious & reinstalled
> :
> :
> :

It didn't work
I get the same error mesages still, windows own help suffers from this too
however:
1/ I don't know how to expand the .oc_ file
so I copied the one over from the updates folder.
2/ run regsrv doesn't work either- it cant find the app or componants

puzzled

I am!

MdD

"Sean Dwyer[MSFT]" <sdwyer@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Essie:
>
> In looking through some previous cases I came across this information. The
> information has been put into an article, however the article is still
being
> written and is not complete yet.
>
> Please try these steps and see if this will allow the help files to work
> correctly.
>
> CAUSE
> ======
> hhctrl.ocx has been replaced with an incorrect version or is corrupt
> (hhctrl.ocx is
> the Microsoft HTML Help Control).
>
> RESOLUTION
> ===========
> 1) Boot to Safe-mode to disable Windows File Protection
> 2) Rename System32\hhctrl.ocx and System32\DLLCache\hhtctrl.ocx (if it
> exists)
> 3) Expand hhctrl.oc_ from the Windows 2000 CD or copy hhctrl.ocx from the
> %SystemRoot%\ServicePackFiles\ directory.
> 4) Start - Run - regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx
>
> You should now be able to open help files both directly and via
application
> Help
> menus.

rights.
> Please reply to the group as individual email sent to this address will
not
> be delivered.
>

> "EssieP" <mdd@mdalgleish.co.uk> wrote in message
> : Some program's help files no longer work on my system. chm ones are
mostly
> : fine, but other types give error messages when I click a hyperlink.like:
> : Line 25
> : char 1
> : Error invalid argument
> : Code 0
> : URL
> :

mk:mad:MSITStore:F:\Program%20files\Autodesk\Inventor%206\PSS\Tutorial\ADMT_ass
> : _6_0.chm::/ADMT_ass/html/ADMT_ass_05.htm
> :
> : when I press yes after "do you want to continue running scripts on this
> page
> : " nothing happens, the url doesn't open.
> :
> : Any ideas? I have done the obvious & reinstalled
> :
> :
> :

MdD,

> Some program's help files no longer work on my system. chm ones are mostly
> fine, but other types give error messages when I click a hyperlink.

This problem is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 822989
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822989). Unless you've installed
Service Pack 4 for Windows 2000, the solution should be to apply
Critical Update 811630, which is available from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811630

If you have installed Service Pack 4, the fix is to open a Command
Prompt window and then run these two commands:

regsvr32 /u <drive>:\winnt\system32\hhctrl.ocx
regsvr32 <drive>:\winnt\system32\hhctrl.ocx

The first command unregisters the HTML Help ActiveX control, which is
what provides the navigation features in the help files; the second
command re-registers the control. This should fix the broken registry
entries that are responsible for the problem.

--
Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

OK, so I got the regserv to work, it was a small error in the path. But
still, no improvement with the help file's page links.

> [...]
> > : Some program's help files no longer work on my system. chm ones are
> mostly
> > : fine, but other types give error messages when I click a
hyperlink.like:
> > : Line 25
> > : char 1
> > : Error invalid argument
> > : Code 0
> > : URL
> > :

mk:mad:MSITStore:F:\Program%20files\Autodesk\Inventor%206\PSS\Tutorial\ADMT_ass
> > : _6_0.chm::/ADMT_ass/html/ADMT_ass_05.htm
> > :
> > : when I press yes after "do you want to continue running scripts on
this
> > page
> > : " nothing happens, the url doesn't open.
> > :
> > : Any ideas? I have done the obvious & reinstalled

YEAY !!!
that works !
How delighted am I ? a= very.

I did have the service pack 4, so unregister/register comd prompts did the
trick.

thanks very much.

--
MdD