Advice: DirecTV or Dish Network for HD?

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 15, 2004 11:06:05 PM

Hi all,

I'm moving to a rural area where I'll no longer have digital cable/HD as
an option. I'm now comparing various satellite services but there are
still a few questions I have...

1) Is satellite HD better/worse/same as digital cable HD? I've heard
that satellite services compress more than digital cable -- is that true?

2) Is there a difference in signal quality between DTV/Dish?

3) Do Dish or DTV offer DVI? Do they offer firewire (I'm currently
recording HD to my Macintosh via firewire on my Scientific Atlanta
3250HD box).

4) Any thoughts on Voom? Their website pissed me off, plus the hardware
looks pricey. I doubt I'll even consider them.

So far, it looks like I might be leaning toward Dish -- I can get 120
channels + the regional fox sports, HBO, Cinemax and HD service for $67.
IIRC, I have to pay $91/month to get the fox sports channels with DTV.

Bottom line, I'm most concerned about the best HD quality + having HBO
for Deadwood. Having the regional Fox channels for sports is a big bonus
too. About the only advantage I'm seeing right now with DTV is their box
is $100 cheaper (I might consider the NFL package too, so I suppose
that's a bonus).

Any thoughts/opinions/advice? Thanks!

--
Jay Swartzfeger
Scottsdale, AZ

avoid voom as I been posting to the group their economic numbers do not look
sound and yet you cannot get the large number of channels you can with either
Dish or Directv. I got Directv and no complaints. Their adding new high def
channels at a brisk rate now
End higher ticket prices! Go to local college games!
August 16, 2004 2:59:07 PM

The Magic 8 Ball says, "Too soon to tell".
August 17, 2004 4:46:53 PM

"Jay Swartzfeger" <jswartzfeger@*spam*cox.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm moving to a rural area where I'll no longer have digital cable/HD as
> an option. I'm now comparing various satellite services but there are
> still a few questions I have...
>
> 1) Is satellite HD better/worse/same as digital cable HD? I've heard
> that satellite services compress more than digital cable -- is that true?

Essentially no difference. Cable and satellite basically pass on the same HD
bits. SD channels will be all over the place. They have more control over
compression, and they use it.

> 2) Is there a difference in signal quality between DTV/Dish?

Depends on the channel.

> 3) Do Dish or DTV offer DVI?

AFAIK, no.

> Do they offer firewire (I'm currently
> recording HD to my Macintosh via firewire on my Scientific Atlanta
> 3250HD box).

Same answer.

> 4) Any thoughts on Voom? Their website pissed me off, plus the hardware
> looks pricey. I doubt I'll even consider them.

The most HD channels of any satellite, but not the locals. Reception on the
west coast could be a problem, due to line of sight issues. Finances are
uncertain.

> So far, it looks like I might be leaning toward Dish -- I can get 120
> channels + the regional fox sports, HBO, Cinemax and HD service for $67.
> IIRC, I have to pay $91/month to get the fox sports channels with DTV.

Don't just count channels, many are PPV. Also, look at the packages,
especially if you watch a lot of sports. Also, PVRs (Tivo) are a must have
for me, which you can get with both Dish and DirecTV, but I think you can
only record two shows at once with DirecTV.

> Bottom line, I'm most concerned about the best HD quality + having HBO
> for Deadwood. Having the regional Fox channels for sports is a big bonus
> too. About the only advantage I'm seeing right now with DTV is their box
> is $100 cheaper (I might consider the NFL package too, so I suppose
> that's a bonus).

You should be happy with either then.

Brad Houser
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 4:06:00 PM

"> > 3) Do Dish or DTV offer DVI?

> AFAIK, no.

They have DVI and component on their Model 811 HD receiver

August 18, 2004 4:43:18 PM

Jim Waggener wrote:
> "> > 3) Do Dish or DTV offer DVI?
>
>>AFAIK, no.
>

> They have DVI and component on their Model 811 HD receiver

Jim,

As does the Dish 921 HD DVR.

Jerry
August 18, 2004 9:23:34 PM

"Jsheldon" <jsheldonNOTTTHIS@his.com> wrote in message

> Jim Waggener wrote:
> > "> > 3) Do Dish or DTV offer DVI?
> >
> >>AFAIK, no.
> >

> > They have DVI and component on their Model 811 HD receiver
>

> Jim,
>
> As does the Dish 921 HD DVR.
>
> Jerry

And the newer DirecTV receivers have DVI-D or HDMI which contains DVI-D as a
subset. My HR 10-250 has HDMI and includes an HDMI to DVI cable. It's IEEE
1394 that is conspicuously absent.

Pat
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 2:41:24 AM

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:23:28 -0400, "Rich" <rich@nospam.com> wrote:

Not really. Voom also has already built a solid reputation
for having the absolute worse possible customer support. I
read somewhere that 4 of every 5 subscribers cancel within a
few weeks. They only reason they are still in business now
is because they are owned by a huge rich parent company. But
sooner or later they will cut their losses.

!