Seagate Barracuda Not In Windows! Help

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Hi

I have installed a new Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 in my PC. It shows itself in BIOS and even on Windows (in device manager) But when I go to my PC to put files on it or anything, its not there, it only shows my Maxtor which has the Windows installed on.

The Seagate has no jumper so it can work on 3Gb's operation and I have also desintalled it and when I restarded, windows recognized a new hardware and it even showed the model but theen after its done I still dont see it in my PC.

What can be happening?

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Use the software utility that came with the drive to partition and format it.
If you bought an OEM drive, go to the Seagate website and download the software.
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/

Edit: I think you can also use Windows disk manager to do the same thing, but noob that I am, I have never used it for that purpose.

jattdb

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
You can indeed. Right-click on My Computer, choose Manage, go to Storage, then Disk Management. The new disk should be listed. Right-click on the unallocated space and choose Create Partition. Once the partition is created, right-click on it and choose Format. After the format completes the disk will be usable.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Use the software utility that came with the drive to partition and format it.
If you bought an OEM drive, go to the Seagate website and download the software.
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/

Edit: I think you can also use Windows disk manager to do the same thing, but noob that I am, I have never used it for that purpose.

Newf, thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately, I have to say that I made a mistake. The Seagate drive is where i have my windows XP installed. The Maxtor drive is the one that is not been recognized by windows!. But is not defective because 3 days ago I had windows intalled on the Maxtor drive and it was working perfectly and it was the seagate that was not being recognized.

If I have windows on the Seagate, the maxtor will not show and the other way around.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just tried what jattdb told me AND IT WORKSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks man!!!!!!!!!!! I CANT BELIEVE IT WAS THAT EASY!!!!! I was gonna RMA it but you solve one of the biggest problem of my life!!!!! Thank you man!

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
1036535672_gif.gif