Win 2000 Repair Options

JayC

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

I'm in the process of repairing my Win 2000 install. And
I have got to the point with the Win 2000 CD recovery
procedure where Win 2000 Professinal Setup asks me to
choose a repair option.

* To repair a Windows 2000 installation by using the
recovery console, press C.

* To repair a Windows 2000 installation by using the
emergency repair process, press R.

"If the repair options do not successfully repair your
system, run Windows 2000 Setup again.

Okay: which option should I choose if I tell you that the
need for a recovery came about because of a system crash
which resulted in a "blue screen error" which pointed out
an invalid disk array situation.

I have since sorted out the invalid disk array (I run a
RAID 0 array) by providing Win Setup (from the Win 2000
Pro CD-ROM) with the necessary RAID disk array drivers.

Now, which Repair Option do I take?

Thanks.

JayC

dl

If you use 'R' option, and that doesnt cure go on to 'C'
You mention array failure, usually with raid controllers they have their own
software for rebuilding an array

"JayC" <jchee_zREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm in the process of repairing my Win 2000 install. And
> I have got to the point with the Win 2000 CD recovery
> procedure where Win 2000 Professinal Setup asks me to
> choose a repair option.
>
> * To repair a Windows 2000 installation by using the
> recovery console, press C.
>
> * To repair a Windows 2000 installation by using the
> emergency repair process, press R.
>
> "If the repair options do not successfully repair your
> system, run Windows 2000 Setup again.
>
> Okay: which option should I choose if I tell you that the
> need for a recovery came about because of a system crash
> which resulted in a "blue screen error" which pointed out
> an invalid disk array situation.
>
> I have since sorted out the invalid disk array (I run a
> RAID 0 array) by providing Win Setup (from the Win 2000
> Pro CD-ROM) with the necessary RAID disk array drivers.
>
> Now, which Repair Option do I take?
>
> Thanks.
>
> JayC

JayC

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

Okay,

I've tried the 'R' option and that didn't cure it.

Could be that when I specify the drive controller which
Win2000 Setup should get from the floppy disk in that
drive which has the Highpoint HPT370 (SCSI ? RAID )
drivers on it --- maybe I should tell it to get a driver
for each one of the hard disks (I have two) that form the
RAID 0 (two disks, stripped) array.

Or maybe, I should tell to use the Highpoint Windows NT
RAID drivers instead of the Win2000 ones.

Or should I do what you say now and go for the Windows
Repair Console (whatever it is. Frankly, I 've never
walked this motherboard, hard disk drive, RAID re-
install, Win2000 Pro recovery, route before and I am wary
of frying my precious system.)

Whatever I do, it's got to work. 'Cos I depend on my
single computer like a man depends on his legs to work
everyday.

Thanks