Missing NTOSKRNL.EXE on WIndows 2000 Server HELP!!

Hi all,
I have a Poweredge 6450 with a RAID controller hosting my one logical
container. On Firday evening I applied a patch and logged out. When I
went to log back in I got the blue screen. After that upon reboot I could
not find the boot device. I called Dell and it looks like the RAID card was
flaky. Anyway I did a restore but now I get the missing NTOSKRNL.EXE
message. The RAID container is divided into 2 logical drives C: and D:. My
windows installtion is on the D: volume and content on the C:.

I tried the repair with my ERD already but that did not work. I then went
in using recovery console. I can see ALL my data and the ntoskrnl.exe. I
broguth in a new boot.ini file because the partition in the old one is
listed as 3. I changed it to 2. That did not work either.

Right now I am running a chkdsk /r on both the volumes hoping that might fix
it. I then intend to run fixboot and after that fixmbr in the hope that it
might fix it. I was then going to use the cd again and run setup and choose
the option that preserves everything but checks the system files.

So my question is:
1) Am I on the right track or did I miss something?
2) What exactly does fixboot and fixmbr and in this case would it be more
trouble than its worth?

Thanks
-SA.
1 answer Last reply
More about missing ntoskrnl windows 2000 server help

    Sorry, wrong forum.

    "SA" <nospam@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I have a Poweredge 6450 with a RAID controller hosting my one logical
    > container. On Firday evening I applied a patch and logged out. When I
    > went to log back in I got the blue screen. After that upon reboot I could
    > not find the boot device. I called Dell and it looks like the RAID card
    was
    > flaky. Anyway I did a restore but now I get the missing NTOSKRNL.EXE
    > message. The RAID container is divided into 2 logical drives C: and D:.
    My
    > windows installtion is on the D: volume and content on the C:.
    >
    > I tried the repair with my ERD already but that did not work. I then went
    > in using recovery console. I can see ALL my data and the ntoskrnl.exe. I
    > broguth in a new boot.ini file because the partition in the old one is
    > listed as 3. I changed it to 2. That did not work either.
    >
    > Right now I am running a chkdsk /r on both the volumes hoping that might
    fix
    > it. I then intend to run fixboot and after that fixmbr in the hope that
    it
    > might fix it. I was then going to use the cd again and run setup and
    choose
    > the option that preserves everything but checks the system files.
    >
    > So my question is:
    > 1) Am I on the right track or did I miss something?
    > 2) What exactly does fixboot and fixmbr and in this case would it be more
    > trouble than its worth?
    >
    > Thanks
    > -SA.

NAS / RAID Windows 2000 Windows