System Drives, Mirror of Raid?.

scotts

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Hello for the most of the servers in our system room the Drives containing
the system are mirrored and the data is raided. Since we are looking at new
systems, is there any rule against raiding the system drives as well as the
data.
-ss

Your operating system and boot files cannot reside on a RAID-5 disk.

Refer to: KB303237
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303237

--
Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
Enterprise Platform Support

"ScottS" <SSalvatore@lbmca.com> wrote in message
> Hello for the most of the servers in our system room the Drives containing
> the system are mirrored and the data is raided. Since we are looking at
new
> systems, is there any rule against raiding the system drives as well as
the
> data.
> -ss

Well, they can if the RAID is controlled by hardware and not software.
Bascially in this scenario the OS has no idea about the RAID hardware
controller.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

Scott Harding - MS MVP wrote:
> Well, they can if the RAID is controlled by hardware and not software.
> Bascially in this scenario the OS has no idea about the RAID hardware
> controller.

As an example, Adaptec makes an 8-port SATA RAID card.
A friend of mine has one of those in his Opty dualie and
has several OSes installed on his four drive RAID - and
has been able to boot all of them off of that RAID whether
he uses RAID5 or RAID 0+1. (He eventually settled on RAID
0+1 - RAID 5 was just playing around to see if it would
work.)

His motherboard (Tyan S2885) has a 4-port SIL3114 SATA
controller that supports RAID 0+1 but he got the Adaptec
card anyway because he can't boot from any RAID on the
SIL3114 except for a simple mirror.