cannot configure Orange M2000 to connect to wireless network

May 24, 2005 8:10:10 PM

Hi,
I have just bought the orange SPV M2000 and am trying to get it to connect
with my Home wireless network. It detects the network but fails to allow me
to browse the web, instead the wireless connection drops and the GPRS fires
up. I am sure that there is a fundamental error in my configuration but I
cannot figure it out. Can anyone give me a clear instruction on how to
configure it properly?
May 27, 2005 8:39:55 PM

"Timax45" <noanswer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have just bought the orange SPV M2000 and am trying to get it to connect
> with my Home wireless network. It detects the network but fails to allow
> me to browse the web, instead the wireless connection drops and the GPRS
> fires up. I am sure that there is a fundamental error in my configuration
> but I cannot figure it out. Can anyone give me a clear instruction on how
> to configure it properly?

The network setup on a Pocket PC is not very intuitive, but try this link:

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/Connection...

When you have done all the basics at the above site, you should have both
internet and private LAN access set to "My Work Network". Now here is the
clever bit, which enables the connection to fall back to GPRS when you are
not connected to your wireless LAN.

Under "My Work Network" tap edit, and add a new modem entry. For a
connection name I just used "Auto GPRS" because I roam a lot, but you can
use whatever you want. For the APN enter "orangeinternet", all other
information is left blank. Save this modem entry, but this is what threw
me... you won't see it in the list which is still empty. However if you exit
this screen and then go back to it again, your modem entry should be there.

Finally, soft-reset and you're done. Although you still have to manually
connect to your wireless network, at least you won't have to keep switching
manually between "My Work Network" for wireless, and "Orange World" for
GPRS. The fall back is automatic if there is no WLAN connection.

HTH a little,

Liam
May 27, 2005 8:51:27 PM

Update at the end...

> The network setup on a Pocket PC is not very intuitive, but try this link:
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/Connection...
>
> When you have done all the basics at the above site, you should have both
> internet and private LAN access set to "My Work Network". Now here is the
> clever bit, which enables the connection to fall back to GPRS when you are
> not connected to your wireless LAN.
>
> Under "My Work Network" tap edit, and add a new modem entry. For a
> connection name I just used "Auto GPRS" because I roam a lot, but you can
> use whatever you want. For the APN enter "orangeinternet", all other
> information is left blank. Save this modem entry, but this is what threw
> me... you won't see it in the list which is still empty. However if you
> exit this screen and then go back to it again, your modem entry should be
> there.
>
> Finally, soft-reset and you're done. Although you still have to manually
> connect to your wireless network, at least you won't have to keep
> switching manually between "My Work Network" for wireless, and "Orange
> World" for GPRS. The fall back is automatic if there is no WLAN
> connection.
>
> HTH a little,
>
> Liam

The above was all written from memory, since then I looked again at my own
PPC and where above I mentioned the APN to enter, there is a step before
that where you enter your connection name; under that entry you have to
select a modem, this should be "Cellular Line (GPRS)"
!