Sign in with
Your question

I Need A Desk

Last response: in Components
February 25, 2007 6:32:39 PM

Im to used to forums, whenever i have a question i post it in a forum. Today i have a question. Im moving, and i need a desk. Or desks, whatever, for my new room. It/they needs to be large enough for 4 monitors (2 crt, 2 lcd), 3 towers, 2 laptops, a printer, a scanner, an xbox 360, all the other stuff that goes along with that stuff (paper, keyboards, mice, spart parts, ect.), and a partridge in a pear tree. Oh, i need a chair too. I wanted an Aeron, but since those are like $700 each i dont think ill be geting one.

Budget time!

Desk(s) $150-$200
Chair $50-$100

Yeah, im cheap.

More about : desk

February 26, 2007 4:11:52 AM

I like madmurph's idea... The dairy crates even give you storage, and can be wired together to reduce slippage..

But I'd look for a hollow core door, preferably one that's got a ding on one side. Half price sale??? Hollow will probably do the job, and weigh far less. Paint / finish to taste.

That leaves you with enough to get a decent chair from whatever local office supply house is near.
Related resources
February 26, 2007 6:46:32 PM

Yeah, ill probably just get a couple of those, ive been looking for a good desk on craigslist, but nothing is coming up. Im just going to end up destroying them anyway (flash powder+molten wax+fire cracker whilst indoors=bad), so i guess its a good thing there cheap to replace.

The milk crate idea is...Interesting...But im not sure i want 5 grand of electronics on a door being held up by plywood crates. Although i did keep a $1500 pc in a cardboard box for like 3 months...
February 26, 2007 7:12:12 PM

:D  For a couple hundred bucks you can pick up a decent desk at any chain stationary store like Office Max or Office Depot.

I picked one up a couple of months ago for $250. With these desks though, you've got to put them together. Mine was on sale, it usually went for $400. Check it out, you might find something good.

It's 65 inches wide and about 30 inches deep. That might handle all your monitors.

You should check out second-hand office furniture stores in your area. The chair I use I picked up from a second hand place for $100. It's kind of an ugly-reddish color but it would have sold retail for $500 to $600.

Good luck
February 26, 2007 7:54:06 PM

Eh, im not to crazy about those drawers. And i can fit a bunch of those folding desks on each of my walls, so ill just put my bed on one wall, and a crap load of desks on the other 3. That way i can just push myself in my chair from one side of the room to the other.
February 26, 2007 8:00:56 PM

Quote:
The milk crate idea is...Interesting...But im not sure i want 5 grand of electronics on a door being held up by plywood crates. Although i did keep a $1500 pc in a cardboard box for like 3 months...
I know, hence my somewhat tongue-in-cheek reply. I figured going to milk crates was a move up in the world. You did say you were cheap, too. (Since you now have a case for that system, less one crushed Tunic, you should auction the cardboard box on e-bay. Then you could use the coin to get a really zoot-capri desk and chair. Hey, if a guy can trade up from a paper clip to a house ...)
February 26, 2007 8:17:44 PM

If i didnt have to buy the doors and find the milk crates i would totally do it.

Maybe ill buy like $250-300 in wax, melt it, then sculpt a desk and chair. The desk might be do-able, but i dont think i could make a chair out of wax that could support much more then a toddler.
February 26, 2007 8:24:58 PM

LOL. I can only imagine what flash powder would do to a wax desk. I think the fumes are gettin' to ya, dude. (That would explain the crushed Tunic). I hesitate to ask what you're doing with flash powder+wax+firecracker.... but then, I gotta know.
February 26, 2007 9:09:19 PM

Model rocket engines, legal fireworks, illegal fireworks, a bunch of candles, bored as hell on a sunday morning. I burned the crap out of the desk, well, more like melted the crap out of it (it was one of those folding desks, but the ones with pastic or whatever for the top.). I also took about....400, 500 straws, maybe more, and melted them into a molten puddle on my desk with a lighter. While the puddle was still a liquid i stuck the lighter in the puddle, punched a whole through the desk because the straw stuff was so hot, and melted the casing on the cheapo bic lighter. Long story short, the thing blew up since the lighter fluid or whatever is in there is under a crap load of pressure, embeded the metal part of the lighter like 5cm into a dartboard, and scared the living crap out of me. The worst thing that happened is all those fumes from the melted/burning plastic i must have inhaled.

I also almost burned down my house with an explosion a bunch of years back when i was like 7. The burn marks on my (or the, since the house just sold) remain to this day, covered in paint, but they remain.
February 26, 2007 10:46:04 PM

ROFL. Dude, you are scary! At least as bad as Mrs. O'Leary's cow. You need to change your logon to something like "PyroMan", and lift the avatar from Ghost Rider. :wink:
February 26, 2007 11:11:07 PM

Yeah, a word of advice. Dont pour a gallon of water onto a couple pounds of burning, molten, wax. Unless you want to set yourself on fire. It seriously looked like a mini nuclear explosion, mushroom flame thing and everything. Luckily i did this on my porch, so only the wooden awning (well, more of a roof then an awning.) thing got chared, if i did this indoors im not sure that house would still be standing. the fire ball thing must have been atleast 15ft high, because the roof/awning on this porch was like 12ft high, and a whole 6ft section of it was charred. I didnt put this fire out, my dad did (7 remember), his eye brows where gone, all the hair on his arms. its a good thing the sliding glass door was open at the time, or he would have gone right through that damn thing!
February 26, 2007 11:38:44 PM

went to homedepot and found a 8 ft kitchen counter top for $42.00.(had a very small chip on one end)so got it for damaged goods :D  . Used 2 army foot lockers standing on "ends" for the support"leggs". :D  total cost $42.00.. :D  :D  :!: Have 3 monitors and 2 key boards on top and 5 cpu's under and still have legg room to sit at it in an office chair. For the printers and etc.. used a scrap piece of plyboard "aprox 2' * 4 1/2' " screwed to the wall. and with nylon straps going from the outer end of the board and up to the wall for support. So you wont have the upper shelf legs(supports) getting in the way of the desk space!
February 27, 2007 12:26:21 AM

Quote:
went to homedepot and found a 8 ft kitchen counter top for $42.00.(had a very small chip on one end)so got it for damaged goods :D  . Used 2 army foot lockers standing on "ends" for the support"leggs". :D  total cost $42.00.. :D  :D  :!: Have 3 monitors and 2 key boards on top and 5 cpu's under and still have legg room to sit at it in an office chair. For the printers and etc.. used a scrap piece of plyboard "aprox 2' * 4 1/2' " screwed to the wall. and with nylon straps going from the outer end of the board and up to the wall for support. So you wont have the upper shelf legs(supports) getting in the way of the desk space!
QFT. I rest my case(s).
February 27, 2007 3:22:41 AM

What? You have 5 CPUs under your desk? That doesnt seem to smart, those things are toast if you step on 'em. :wink:

Maybe ill get a bunch of old computer cases from a recycling center or somthing and just stack them on top of each other in rows around my room untill there high enough to use as desks.
February 27, 2007 4:27:51 AM

yep they get kicked bumped banged with the vacuum cleaner, and they are still just a purring, heat is not much of an issue it stays naturally cool in this room of the house(summer and winter). Cpu #6 is about to be added as soon as i get the dab blame credit card payed off :x . CPU #1 is monowall, #2 pc-bsd, #3 Free-BSD(still learning), #4 and #5 is Win XP, And #6 (still in the box stuffed in the closet), is going to be a dedicated gaming machine, getting parts little by little, hunting around for deals and specials (discounts). Also Waiting to see if the rumor about intel cutting prices on their chips again :?: (long wait). But I just wish that all these power & cat5 cables could just vanish :roll: It looks like a plate of noodles under their :D  .
!