Format hard disk

Recently, my Win 2000 files got corrupted, and I couldn't
boot my system. I installed a new copy of Windows 2000
after creating a partition and took a backup of all my
data after login into the fresh version of Win 2000. Now I
wish to format my hard disk and start afresh with only one
version of Win 2000 (and delete unwanted software to free
up space). How can I format my hard disk? I tried booting
through diskettes, and using the Recovery Console to
format the disk. I reach the comand prompt, and "format
c:" does not format my disk.
Please advise.

Thanks
25 answers Last reply
More about format hard disk

    To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
    disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
    CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
    makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
    prompts.

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Manish" wrote:
    | Recently, my Win 2000 files got corrupted, and I couldn't
    | boot my system. I installed a new copy of Windows 2000
    | after creating a partition and took a backup of all my
    | data after login into the fresh version of Win 2000. Now I
    | wish to format my hard disk and start afresh with only one
    | version of Win 2000 (and delete unwanted software to free
    | up space). How can I format my hard disk? I tried booting
    | through diskettes, and using the Recovery Console to
    | format the disk. I reach the comand prompt, and "format
    | c:" does not format my disk.
    | Please advise.
    |
    | Thanks

    I have followed your instructions...now I am at the
    screen that gives the options:

    1. Set up Win 2000 on selected item...
    2. Create a partition in unpartitioned space...
    3. Delete selected partition...

    8715 BM Disk 0 at ID 0 on Bus 0 on AIC78U2
    Unpartitioned space

    79 MB Disk 0 at ID 2 on Bus 0 on AIC 78 u2
    There is no disk in this drive.

    I have two SCSI hard drives...C and D.

    What next???

    I appreciate your help.

    install, then again
    >restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to
    avoid unexpected drive
    >letter assignments with your new install.
    >
    >--
    >Regards,

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >"Manish" wrote:
    >| Recently, my Win 2000 files got corrupted, and I
    couldn't
    >| boot my system. I installed a new copy of Windows 2000
    >| after creating a partition and took a backup of all my
    >| data after login into the fresh version of Win 2000.
    Now I
    >| wish to format my hard disk and start afresh with only
    one
    >| version of Win 2000 (and delete unwanted software to
    free
    >| up space). How can I format my hard disk? I tried
    booting
    >| through diskettes, and using the Recovery Console to
    >| format the disk. I reach the comand prompt, and "format
    >| c:" does not format my disk.
    >| Please advise.
    >|
    >| Thanks
    >

    >.

    You'll want to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-Rom. The set of four
    install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the
    \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or
    makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

    Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system)
    in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify
    additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer
    supplied Windows 2000 driver for your scsi controller in drive "A"

    If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

    "Robert" wrote:
    |I have followed your instructions...now I am at the
    | screen that gives the options:
    |
    | 1. Set up Win 2000 on selected item...
    | 2. Create a partition in unpartitioned space...
    | 3. Delete selected partition...
    |
    | 8715 BM Disk 0 at ID 0 on Bus 0 on AIC78U2
    | Unpartitioned space
    |
    | 79 MB Disk 0 at ID 2 on Bus 0 on AIC 78 u2
    | There is no disk in this drive.
    |
    | I have two SCSI hard drives...C and D.
    |
    | What next???
    |
    | I appreciate your help.

    I'm sorry...but I am really confused now. I followed your
    earlier post to the letter. I don't expect to be able to
    find the Manufacturer's driver for my SCSI controller as
    this computer is several years old.

    You didn't mention this in your earlier post...so I'm
    really confused now. Sorry!

    Robert

    BTW did you mean F8 (vs F6)?

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >"Robert" wrote:
    >|I have followed your instructions...now I am at the
    >| screen that gives the options:
    >|
    >| 1. Set up Win 2000 on selected item...
    >| 2. Create a partition in unpartitioned space...
    >| 3. Delete selected partition...
    >|
    >| 8715 BM Disk 0 at ID 0 on Bus 0 on AIC78U2
    >| Unpartitioned space
    >|
    >| 79 MB Disk 0 at ID 2 on Bus 0 on AIC 78 u2
    >| There is no disk in this drive.
    >|
    >| I have two SCSI hard drives...C and D.
    >|
    >| What next???
    >|
    >| I appreciate your help.
    >

    >.

    Post some details of the drive controller. I'll help you find the driver.

    --

    "Robert" wrote:
    | I'm sorry...but I am really confused now. I followed your
    | earlier post to the letter. I don't expect to be able to
    | find the Manufacturer's driver for my SCSI controller as
    | this computer is several years old.
    |
    | You didn't mention this in your earlier post...so I'm
    | really confused now. Sorry!
    |
    | Robert
    |
    | BTW did you mean F8 (vs F6)?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    When I started this, I had no earthly idea that I would
    be taking my computer apart...I despise working on
    computers! The Win 2000 would keep rebooting and I simply
    wanted to reinstall it. Now I have had to take the
    computer apart and unplug the ribbon cables and search
    far and wide for some indication of the motherboard model
    and SCSI info. The SCSI is on board. There are several
    Adaptec chips on the motherboard. Also printed on the
    motherboard, next to the SCSI port is "Adaptec SCSI-50
    Ultra 2-68. The motherboard is an ASUS and it is a Dual
    Pentium 400. I can't find the model printed anywhere on
    it. I get the sinking feeling that I you have sent me on
    a "wild goose chase" :-)

    What next?

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >"Robert" wrote:
    >| I'm sorry...but I am really confused now. I followed
    your
    >| earlier post to the letter. I don't expect to be able
    >| find the Manufacturer's driver for my SCSI controller
    as
    >| this computer is several years old.
    >|
    >| You didn't mention this in your earlier post...so I'm
    >| really confused now. Sorry!
    >|
    >| Robert
    >|
    >| BTW did you mean F8 (vs F6)?
    >

    >.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Which ASUS mb is it? Last resort look for an FCC ID number.

    --

    "Robert" wrote:
    | When I started this, I had no earthly idea that I would
    | be taking my computer apart...I despise working on
    | computers! The Win 2000 would keep rebooting and I simply
    | wanted to reinstall it. Now I have had to take the
    | computer apart and unplug the ribbon cables and search
    | far and wide for some indication of the motherboard model
    | and SCSI info. The SCSI is on board. There are several
    | Adaptec chips on the motherboard. Also printed on the
    | motherboard, next to the SCSI port is "Adaptec SCSI-50
    | Ultra 2-68. The motherboard is an ASUS and it is a Dual
    | Pentium 400. I can't find the model printed anywhere on
    | it. I get the sinking feeling that I you have sent me on
    | a "wild goose chase" :-)
    |
    | What next?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    After removing ALL the cards, I finally found it...

    ASUS P2B-OS

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >"Robert" wrote:
    >| When I started this, I had no earthly idea that I would
    >| be taking my computer apart...I despise working on
    >| computers! The Win 2000 would keep rebooting and I
    simply
    >| wanted to reinstall it. Now I have had to take the
    >| computer apart and unplug the ribbon cables and search
    >| far and wide for some indication of the motherboard
    model
    >| and SCSI info. The SCSI is on board. There are several
    >| Adaptec chips on the motherboard. Also printed on the
    >| motherboard, next to the SCSI port is "Adaptec SCSI-50
    >| Ultra 2-68. The motherboard is an ASUS and it is a Dual
    >| Pentium 400. I can't find the model printed anywhere on
    >| it. I get the sinking feeling that I you have sent me
    on
    >| a "wild goose chase" :-)
    >|
    >| What next?
    >

    >.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I don't find an 'OS' could it be an P2B-LS? You'll have to try the Windows
    NT4 driver as that was the latest.

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=2&l3_id=1&m_id=11&f_name=7890v302.zip~zaqwedc

    --

    "Robert" wrote:
    | After removing ALL the cards, I finally found it...
    |
    | ASUS P2B-OS
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Sorry, it is "DS" -- it is a dual processor mb.

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >"Robert" wrote:
    >| After removing ALL the cards, I finally found it...
    >|
    >| ASUS P2B-OS
    >

    >.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I found a disk for AIC 7890 SCSI Driver Diskette 1/1
    Content:
    ASUS EZ-SCSI Driver Rev. 4.03
    Windows NT4.0/95/98 Rev 3.01
    MD001

    Is this what I need?

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Should be the last one in the list here. Again try the NT driver.

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P2B-DS

    --

    "Robert" wrote:
    | Sorry, it is "DS" -- it is a dual processor mb.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I found a disk for AIC 7890 SCSI Driver Diskette 1/1
    Content:
    ASUS EZ-SCSI Driver Rev. 4.03
    Windows NT4.0/95/98 Rev 3.01
    MD001

    Is this what I need?

    ALSO...I can't remember which ribbon cables to connect
    back. Evidently there is only one drive (I was mistaken).
    There are two black SCSI connectors and one larger gray
    one. The all grey ribbon cable plugs into the gray one.
    That leaves a colored ribbon cable that is plugged into
    the hard drive. The end has a terminator (relatively
    large black "box") on it. I know I unplugged three
    connectors but I don't think you connect both ends of the
    same ribbon cable...including the terminator end. Is this
    clear as mud?

    Robert

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >"Robert" wrote:
    >| Sorry, it is "DS" -- it is a dual processor mb.
    >

    >.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    The 68 pin wide scsi bus would connect to any scsi devices with the
    termination on the end of the bus. There are some unused connectors in the
    length of the bus cable. Are there any other scsi devices? There should be a
    cable to connect the IDE CD-Rom drive to the mb (it is IDE? isn't it) then
    there would be the floppy drive cable.

    Use the NT driver here.

    "Robert" wrote:
    |I found a disk for AIC 7890 SCSI Driver Diskette 1/1
    | Content:
    | ASUS EZ-SCSI Driver Rev. 4.03
    | Windows NT4.0/95/98 Rev 3.01
    | MD001
    |
    | Is this what I need?
    |
    | ALSO...I can't remember which ribbon cables to connect
    | back. Evidently there is only one drive (I was mistaken).
    | There are two black SCSI connectors and one larger gray
    | one. The all grey ribbon cable plugs into the gray one.
    | That leaves a colored ribbon cable that is plugged into
    | the hard drive. The end has a terminator (relatively
    | large black "box") on it. I know I unplugged three
    | connectors but I don't think you connect both ends of the
    | same ribbon cable...including the terminator end. Is this
    | clear as mud?
    |
    | Robert
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    It appears that the last company that worked on the
    computer (one that I was very dissatisfied with) had
    plugged the second to last connector into the hard drive
    and the last (terminated) connector back into the
    motherboard (into the other SCSI port). I am surprised
    that the computer was working like this.

    I will get back to work on this later today...thanks for
    your help.

    Robert

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >"Robert" wrote:
    >|I found a disk for AIC 7890 SCSI Driver Diskette 1/1
    >| Content:
    >| ASUS EZ-SCSI Driver Rev. 4.03
    >| Windows NT4.0/95/98 Rev 3.01
    >| MD001
    >|
    >| Is this what I need?
    >|
    >| ALSO...I can't remember which ribbon cables to connect
    >| back. Evidently there is only one drive (I was
    mistaken).
    >| There are two black SCSI connectors and one larger gray
    >| one. The all grey ribbon cable plugs into the gray one.
    >| That leaves a colored ribbon cable that is plugged into
    >| the hard drive. The end has a terminator (relatively
    >| large black "box") on it. I know I unplugged three
    >| connectors but I don't think you connect both ends of
    the
    >| same ribbon cable...including the terminator end. Is
    this
    >| clear as mud?
    >|
    >| Robert
    >

    >.

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    There are two SCSI options on install screen (after
    pressing "S") as follows:

    AHA290X/291X/294/394X/4944/AK-78XX PCI...

    AHA294XU2/295U2/395XU2/AIC-789X PCI...

    Which one do I choose???

    Robert

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    There are two SCSI options on install screen (after
    pressing "S") as follows:

    AHA290X/291X/294/394X/4944/AK-78XX PCI...

    AHA294XU2/295U2/395XU2/AIC-789X PCI...

    Which one do I choose???

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >"Robert" wrote:
    >|I found a disk for AIC 7890 SCSI Driver Diskette 1/1
    >| Content:
    >| ASUS EZ-SCSI Driver Rev. 4.03
    >| Windows NT4.0/95/98 Rev 3.01
    >| MD001
    >|
    >| Is this what I need?
    >|
    >| ALSO...I can't remember which ribbon cables to connect
    >| back. Evidently there is only one drive (I was
    mistaken).
    >| There are two black SCSI connectors and one larger gray
    >| one. The all grey ribbon cable plugs into the gray one.
    >| That leaves a colored ribbon cable that is plugged into
    >| the hard drive. The end has a terminator (relatively
    >| large black "box") on it. I know I unplugged three
    >| connectors but I don't think you connect both ends of
    the
    >| same ribbon cable...including the terminator end. Is
    this
    >| clear as mud?
    >|
    >| Robert
    >

    >.

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    This has gone from bad to worse.

    I have tried all the drivers and now I get another "blue
    screen" indicating that I need to reboot. It doesn't
    recognize that there is a hard drive at all.

    Very frustrating!

    Robert

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Try <Cntl> A at boot to get into controller bios. This may help you diagnose
    the problem and also identify the controller.

    --

    "Robert" wrote:
    | This has gone from bad to worse.
    |
    | I have tried all the drivers and now I get another "blue
    | screen" indicating that I need to reboot. It doesn't
    | recognize that there is a hard drive at all.
    |
    | Very frustrating!
    |
    | Robert
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I used the original floppy disk (for SCSI driver) and I
    have finally gotten the computer up and running with Win
    2000. Now I just have to figure out how to get it on the
    network, etc.

    Thanks for your help.

    Robert

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >"Robert" wrote:
    >| This has gone from bad to worse.
    >|
    >| I have tried all the drivers and now I get
    another "blue
    >| screen" indicating that I need to reboot. It doesn't
    >| recognize that there is a hard drive at all.
    >|
    >| Very frustrating!
    >|
    >| Robert
    >

    >.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Well...I started this process because the computer was in
    a "reboot loop". I jumped through hoops to get a fresh
    install of Win 2000 and new format of disk.

    Then I finally got the network back up and running.

    Then I installed my BellSouth DSL driver which needed to
    reboot to take effect.

    The computer went back to the "reboot loop".

    I booted up in safe mode and uninstalled the DSL driver.

    Computer is still in "reboot loop".

    This is about to cause me to shoot myself...

    What now?

    Robert

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >"Robert" wrote:
    >| This has gone from bad to worse.
    >|
    >| I have tried all the drivers and now I get
    another "blue
    >| screen" indicating that I need to reboot. It doesn't
    >| recognize that there is a hard drive at all.
    >|
    >| Very frustrating!
    >|
    >| Robert
    >

    >.

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I'm not sure why you would need any "driver" to make the DSL connection
    work. It's simply an Ethernet connection between the modem and the pc isn't
    it? Try starting safe mode and check Event Viewer and Device Manager for
    errors and or non-starting devices.

    --

    "Robert" wrote:
    | Well...I started this process because the computer was in
    | a "reboot loop". I jumped through hoops to get a fresh
    | install of Win 2000 and new format of disk.
    |
    | Then I finally got the network back up and running.
    |
    | Then I installed my BellSouth DSL driver which needed to
    | reboot to take effect.
    |
    | The computer went back to the "reboot loop".
    |
    | I booted up in safe mode and uninstalled the DSL driver.
    |
    | Computer is still in "reboot loop".
    |
    | This is about to cause me to shoot myself...
    |
    | What now?
    |
    | Robert
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    There is no modem and you do indeed have to install the
    DSL software...just like I have on the other two machines
    that run through the hub. Each pc connects "directly" via
    the hub (it's a fiber optic connection).

    I have uninstalled everything in safe mode (ACT, Network
    card & DSL software) I am waiting for the box to reboot
    to see it it works now (I doubt it).

    Robert

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >"Robert" wrote:
    >| Well...I started this process because the computer was
    in
    >| a "reboot loop". I jumped through hoops to get a fresh
    >| install of Win 2000 and new format of disk.
    >|
    >| Then I finally got the network back up and running.
    >|
    >| Then I installed my BellSouth DSL driver which needed
    >| reboot to take effect.
    >|
    >| The computer went back to the "reboot loop".
    >|
    >| I booted up in safe mode and uninstalled the DSL
    driver.

    >| Computer is still in "reboot loop".
    >|
    >| This is about to cause me to shoot myself...
    >|
    >| What now?
    >|
    >| Robert
    >

    >.

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    It appears that the "Bellsouth Connection agent"
    and "BroadJump PPPoE" were the culprits. Funny though,
    because I have the exact same thing installed on another
    machine running Win 2000...and yet another on on an XP
    Professional machine. Now I don't know how I'm going to
    get the "screwed up machine" on the internet.

    Robert

    newsgroup.
    >Microsoft Certified Professional
    >Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    >"Robert" wrote:
    >| Well...I started this process because the computer was
    in
    >| a "reboot loop". I jumped through hoops to get a fresh
    >| install of Win 2000 and new format of disk.
    >|
    >| Then I finally got the network back up and running.
    >|
    >| Then I installed my BellSouth DSL driver which needed
    >| reboot to take effect.
    >|
    >| The computer went back to the "reboot loop".
    >|
    >| I booted up in safe mode and uninstalled the DSL
    driver.

    >| Computer is still in "reboot loop".
    >|
    >| This is about to cause me to shoot myself...
    >|
    >| What now?
    >|
    >| Robert
    >

    >.
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I suspect that all the software does is sets up the network interface.
    Something you can easily do manually.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    | There is no modem and you do indeed have to install the
    | DSL software...just like I have on the other two machines
    | that run through the hub. Each pc connects "directly" via
    | the hub (it's a fiber optic connection).
    |
    | I have uninstalled everything in safe mode (ACT, Network
    | card & DSL software) I am waiting for the box to reboot
    | to see it it works now (I doubt it).
    |
    | Robert

Hard Drives Format Windows