Format hard disk

manish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Recently, my Win 2000 files got corrupted, and I couldn't
boot my system. I installed a new copy of Windows 2000
after creating a partition and took a backup of all my
data after login into the fresh version of Win 2000. Now I
wish to format my hard disk and start afresh with only one
version of Win 2000 (and delete unwanted software to free
up space). How can I format my hard disk? I tried booting
through diskettes, and using the Recovery Console to
format the disk. I reach the comand prompt, and "format
c:" does not format my disk.
Please advise.

Thanks

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Manish" wrote:
| Recently, my Win 2000 files got corrupted, and I couldn't
| boot my system. I installed a new copy of Windows 2000
| after creating a partition and took a backup of all my
| data after login into the fresh version of Win 2000. Now I
| wish to format my hard disk and start afresh with only one
| version of Win 2000 (and delete unwanted software to free
| up space). How can I format my hard disk? I tried booting
| through diskettes, and using the Recovery Console to
| format the disk. I reach the comand prompt, and "format
| c:" does not format my disk.
| Please advise.
|
| Thanks

Robert

I have followed your instructions...now I am at the
screen that gives the options:

1. Set up Win 2000 on selected item...
2. Create a partition in unpartitioned space...
3. Delete selected partition...

8715 BM Disk 0 at ID 0 on Bus 0 on AIC78U2
Unpartitioned space

79 MB Disk 0 at ID 2 on Bus 0 on AIC 78 u2
There is no disk in this drive.

I have two SCSI hard drives...C and D.

What next???

I appreciate your help.

or other partitions
>found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the
install, then again
>restart the pc booting the CD-Rom or setup disks to
avoid unexpected drive
>letter assignments with your new install.
>
>--
>Regards,

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"Manish" wrote:
>| Recently, my Win 2000 files got corrupted, and I
couldn't
>| boot my system. I installed a new copy of Windows 2000
>| after creating a partition and took a backup of all my
>| data after login into the fresh version of Win 2000.
Now I
>| wish to format my hard disk and start afresh with only
one
>| version of Win 2000 (and delete unwanted software to
free
>| up space). How can I format my hard disk? I tried
booting
>| through diskettes, and using the Recovery Console to
>| format the disk. I reach the comand prompt, and "format
>| c:" does not format my disk.
>| Please advise.
>|
>| Thanks
>

>.

You'll want to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-Rom. The set of four
install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the
\bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or
makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system)
in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify
additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer
supplied Windows 2000 driver for your scsi controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

"Robert" wrote:
|I have followed your instructions...now I am at the
| screen that gives the options:
|
| 1. Set up Win 2000 on selected item...
| 2. Create a partition in unpartitioned space...
| 3. Delete selected partition...
|
| 8715 BM Disk 0 at ID 0 on Bus 0 on AIC78U2
| Unpartitioned space
|
| 79 MB Disk 0 at ID 2 on Bus 0 on AIC 78 u2
| There is no disk in this drive.
|
| I have two SCSI hard drives...C and D.
|
| What next???
|
| I appreciate your help.

Robert

I'm sorry...but I am really confused now. I followed your
earlier post to the letter. I don't expect to be able to
find the Manufacturer's driver for my SCSI controller as
this computer is several years old.

You didn't mention this in your earlier post...so I'm
really confused now. Sorry!

Robert

BTW did you mean F8 (vs F6)?

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"Robert" wrote:
>|I have followed your instructions...now I am at the
>| screen that gives the options:
>|
>| 1. Set up Win 2000 on selected item...
>| 2. Create a partition in unpartitioned space...
>| 3. Delete selected partition...
>|
>| 8715 BM Disk 0 at ID 0 on Bus 0 on AIC78U2
>| Unpartitioned space
>|
>| 79 MB Disk 0 at ID 2 on Bus 0 on AIC 78 u2
>| There is no disk in this drive.
>|
>| I have two SCSI hard drives...C and D.
>|
>| What next???
>|
>| I appreciate your help.
>

>.

Post some details of the drive controller. I'll help you find the driver.

--

"Robert" wrote:
| I'm sorry...but I am really confused now. I followed your
| earlier post to the letter. I don't expect to be able to
| find the Manufacturer's driver for my SCSI controller as
| this computer is several years old.
|
| You didn't mention this in your earlier post...so I'm
| really confused now. Sorry!
|
| Robert
|
| BTW did you mean F8 (vs F6)?

Robert

When I started this, I had no earthly idea that I would
be taking my computer apart...I despise working on
computers! The Win 2000 would keep rebooting and I simply
wanted to reinstall it. Now I have had to take the
computer apart and unplug the ribbon cables and search
far and wide for some indication of the motherboard model
and SCSI info. The SCSI is on board. There are several
Adaptec chips on the motherboard. Also printed on the
motherboard, next to the SCSI port is "Adaptec SCSI-50
Ultra 2-68. The motherboard is an ASUS and it is a Dual
Pentium 400. I can't find the model printed anywhere on
it. I get the sinking feeling that I you have sent me on
a "wild goose chase" :)

What next?

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"Robert" wrote:
>| I'm sorry...but I am really confused now. I followed
your
>| earlier post to the letter. I don't expect to be able
>| find the Manufacturer's driver for my SCSI controller
as
>| this computer is several years old.
>|
>| You didn't mention this in your earlier post...so I'm
>| really confused now. Sorry!
>|
>| Robert
>|
>| BTW did you mean F8 (vs F6)?
>

>.

Which ASUS mb is it? Last resort look for an FCC ID number.

--

"Robert" wrote:
| When I started this, I had no earthly idea that I would
| be taking my computer apart...I despise working on
| computers! The Win 2000 would keep rebooting and I simply
| wanted to reinstall it. Now I have had to take the
| computer apart and unplug the ribbon cables and search
| far and wide for some indication of the motherboard model
| and SCSI info. The SCSI is on board. There are several
| Adaptec chips on the motherboard. Also printed on the
| motherboard, next to the SCSI port is "Adaptec SCSI-50
| Ultra 2-68. The motherboard is an ASUS and it is a Dual
| Pentium 400. I can't find the model printed anywhere on
| it. I get the sinking feeling that I you have sent me on
| a "wild goose chase" :)
|
| What next?

Robert

After removing ALL the cards, I finally found it...

ASUS P2B-OS

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"Robert" wrote:
>| When I started this, I had no earthly idea that I would
>| be taking my computer apart...I despise working on
>| computers! The Win 2000 would keep rebooting and I
simply
>| wanted to reinstall it. Now I have had to take the
>| computer apart and unplug the ribbon cables and search
>| far and wide for some indication of the motherboard
model
>| and SCSI info. The SCSI is on board. There are several
>| Adaptec chips on the motherboard. Also printed on the
>| motherboard, next to the SCSI port is "Adaptec SCSI-50
>| Ultra 2-68. The motherboard is an ASUS and it is a Dual
>| Pentium 400. I can't find the model printed anywhere on
>| it. I get the sinking feeling that I you have sent me
on
>| a "wild goose chase" :)
>|
>| What next?
>

>.

I don't find an 'OS' could it be an P2B-LS? You'll have to try the Windows
NT4 driver as that was the latest.

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/selectftp.aspx?l1_id=1&l2_id=2&l3_id=1&m_id=11&f_name=7890v302.zip~zaqwedc

--

"Robert" wrote:
| After removing ALL the cards, I finally found it...
|
| ASUS P2B-OS

Robert

Sorry, it is "DS" -- it is a dual processor mb.

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"Robert" wrote:
>| After removing ALL the cards, I finally found it...
>|
>| ASUS P2B-OS
>

>.

Robert

I found a disk for AIC 7890 SCSI Driver Diskette 1/1
Content:
ASUS EZ-SCSI Driver Rev. 4.03
Windows NT4.0/95/98 Rev 3.01
MD001

Is this what I need?

ALSO...I can't remember which ribbon cables to connect
back. Evidently there is only one drive (I was mistaken).
There are two black SCSI connectors and one larger gray
one. The all grey ribbon cable plugs into the gray one.
That leaves a colored ribbon cable that is plugged into
the hard drive. The end has a terminator (relatively
large black "box") on it. I know I unplugged three
connectors but I don't think you connect both ends of the
same ribbon cable...including the terminator end. Is this
clear as mud?

Robert

NT driver.

>http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?
ModelName=P2B-DS

>--
>Regards,

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"Robert" wrote:
>| Sorry, it is "DS" -- it is a dual processor mb.
>

>.

The 68 pin wide scsi bus would connect to any scsi devices with the
termination on the end of the bus. There are some unused connectors in the
length of the bus cable. Are there any other scsi devices? There should be a
cable to connect the IDE CD-Rom drive to the mb (it is IDE? isn't it) then
there would be the floppy drive cable.

Use the NT driver here.

"Robert" wrote:
|I found a disk for AIC 7890 SCSI Driver Diskette 1/1
| Content:
| ASUS EZ-SCSI Driver Rev. 4.03
| Windows NT4.0/95/98 Rev 3.01
| MD001
|
| Is this what I need?
|
| ALSO...I can't remember which ribbon cables to connect
| back. Evidently there is only one drive (I was mistaken).
| There are two black SCSI connectors and one larger gray
| one. The all grey ribbon cable plugs into the gray one.
| That leaves a colored ribbon cable that is plugged into
| the hard drive. The end has a terminator (relatively
| large black "box") on it. I know I unplugged three
| connectors but I don't think you connect both ends of the
| same ribbon cable...including the terminator end. Is this
| clear as mud?
|
| Robert

Robert

It appears that the last company that worked on the
computer (one that I was very dissatisfied with) had
plugged the second to last connector into the hard drive
and the last (terminated) connector back into the
motherboard (into the other SCSI port). I am surprised
that the computer was working like this.

I will get back to work on this later today...thanks for
your help.

Robert

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"Robert" wrote:
>|I found a disk for AIC 7890 SCSI Driver Diskette 1/1
>| Content:
>| ASUS EZ-SCSI Driver Rev. 4.03
>| Windows NT4.0/95/98 Rev 3.01
>| MD001
>|
>| Is this what I need?
>|
>| ALSO...I can't remember which ribbon cables to connect
>| back. Evidently there is only one drive (I was
mistaken).
>| There are two black SCSI connectors and one larger gray
>| one. The all grey ribbon cable plugs into the gray one.
>| That leaves a colored ribbon cable that is plugged into
>| the hard drive. The end has a terminator (relatively
>| large black "box") on it. I know I unplugged three
>| connectors but I don't think you connect both ends of
the
>| same ribbon cable...including the terminator end. Is
this
>| clear as mud?
>|
>| Robert
>

>.

Robert

There are two SCSI options on install screen (after
pressing "S") as follows:

AHA290X/291X/294/394X/4944/AK-78XX PCI...

AHA294XU2/295U2/395XU2/AIC-789X PCI...

Which one do I choose???

Robert

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"Robert" wrote:
>|I found a disk for AIC 7890 SCSI Driver Diskette 1/1
>| Content:
>| ASUS EZ-SCSI Driver Rev. 4.03
>| Windows NT4.0/95/98 Rev 3.01
>| MD001
>|
>| Is this what I need?
>|
>| ALSO...I can't remember which ribbon cables to connect
>| back. Evidently there is only one drive (I was
mistaken).
>| There are two black SCSI connectors and one larger gray
>| one. The all grey ribbon cable plugs into the gray one.
>| That leaves a colored ribbon cable that is plugged into
>| the hard drive. The end has a terminator (relatively
>| large black "box") on it. I know I unplugged three
>| connectors but I don't think you connect both ends of
the
>| same ribbon cable...including the terminator end. Is
this
>| clear as mud?
>|
>| Robert
>

>.

Robert

This has gone from bad to worse.

I have tried all the drivers and now I get another "blue
screen" indicating that I need to reboot. It doesn't
recognize that there is a hard drive at all.

Very frustrating!

Robert

Try <Cntl> A at boot to get into controller bios. This may help you diagnose
the problem and also identify the controller.

--

"Robert" wrote:
| This has gone from bad to worse.
|
| I have tried all the drivers and now I get another "blue
| screen" indicating that I need to reboot. It doesn't
| recognize that there is a hard drive at all.
|
| Very frustrating!
|
| Robert

Robert

I used the original floppy disk (for SCSI driver) and I
have finally gotten the computer up and running with Win
2000. Now I just have to figure out how to get it on the
network, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Robert

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"Robert" wrote:
>| This has gone from bad to worse.
>|
>| I have tried all the drivers and now I get
another "blue
>| screen" indicating that I need to reboot. It doesn't
>| recognize that there is a hard drive at all.
>|
>| Very frustrating!
>|
>| Robert
>

>.

Robert

Well...I started this process because the computer was in
a "reboot loop". I jumped through hoops to get a fresh
install of Win 2000 and new format of disk.

Then I finally got the network back up and running.

Then I installed my BellSouth DSL driver which needed to
reboot to take effect.

The computer went back to the "reboot loop".

I booted up in safe mode and uninstalled the DSL driver.

Computer is still in "reboot loop".

This is about to cause me to shoot myself...

What now?

Robert

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"Robert" wrote:
>| This has gone from bad to worse.
>|
>| I have tried all the drivers and now I get
another "blue
>| screen" indicating that I need to reboot. It doesn't
>| recognize that there is a hard drive at all.
>|
>| Very frustrating!
>|
>| Robert
>

>.

I'm not sure why you would need any "driver" to make the DSL connection
work. It's simply an Ethernet connection between the modem and the pc isn't
it? Try starting safe mode and check Event Viewer and Device Manager for
errors and or non-starting devices.

--

"Robert" wrote:
| Well...I started this process because the computer was in
| a "reboot loop". I jumped through hoops to get a fresh
| install of Win 2000 and new format of disk.
|
| Then I finally got the network back up and running.
|
| Then I installed my BellSouth DSL driver which needed to
| reboot to take effect.
|
| The computer went back to the "reboot loop".
|
| I booted up in safe mode and uninstalled the DSL driver.
|
| Computer is still in "reboot loop".
|
| This is about to cause me to shoot myself...
|
| What now?
|
| Robert

There is no modem and you do indeed have to install the
DSL software...just like I have on the other two machines
that run through the hub. Each pc connects "directly" via
the hub (it's a fiber optic connection).

I have uninstalled everything in safe mode (ACT, Network
card & DSL software) I am waiting for the box to reboot
to see it it works now (I doubt it).

Robert

newsgroup.
>Microsoft Certified Professional
>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

>"Robert" wrote:
>| Well...I started this process because the computer was
in
>| a "reboot loop". I jumped through hoops to get a fresh
>| install of Win 2000 and new format of disk.
>|
>| Then I finally got the network back up and running.
>|
>| Then I installed my BellSouth DSL driver which needed
>| reboot to take effect.
>|
>| The computer went back to the "reboot loop".
>|
>| I booted up in safe mode and uninstalled the DSL
driver.

>| Computer is still in "reboot loop".
>|
>| This is about to cause me to shoot myself...
>|
>| What now?
>|
>| Robert
>

>.

Robert

It appears that the "Bellsouth Connection agent"
and "BroadJump PPPoE" were the culprits. Funny though,
because I have the exact same thing installed on another
machine running Win 2000...and yet another on on an XP
Professional machine. Now I don't know how I'm going to
get the "screwed up machine" on the internet.

Robert

newsgroup.