nothing on screen? dvi pin 14?

SP73

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
so I ordered my new system a while back, but the motherboard was completely doa.
so last night I brought my evga 8800gts (320mb) to a LAN, so I could find out if it works or not. (my replacement motherboard has yet to come in)

so I put it in my friend's system, and it wouldn't put anything on the screen,
it ran, the GPU's fan was spinning, the motherboard didn't beep at me, but there was nothing on screen.
(screen on standby, prior and after turing the computer on)

now, I look at the DVI to VGA adapter I used, (that came with the card) and pin 14 is pushed inwards a small ways, not a ton, but very easily noticable.

I would just try a different one, but unfortunately I no longer have access to a computer I can test it on :(

wikipedia tells me that this is "Power for monitor when in standby"
could this be the problem?

the other potential problem (other than me having another defective part) that I can think of is lack of sufficient power.
could a lack of power through the PCIe power cable do this?
(note: I was just trying to get the boot process to show up)

thanks for the help.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
I don't know about your card, but on my 6800gt, if i leave out the extra power cable for the card, my machine still boots, with the nvidia driver having a moan at me to say I'm a fool with too little power.

You have tried a different vga cable with your adapter as well haven't you and tried with both outputs of the card (I'm assuming it has dual dvi out)? Sounds silly, but can't you try the gpu with a dvi monitor or try a different adapter (they are very cheap to get these days)?

SP73

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
I tried both dvi ports, but I used the same adapter both times.
same result both times.

I used one vga cable, but one that worked on my friend's card just before.

it seems like if it didn't have enough power to display the boot process, it would beep at me, but it seemed to be going normally, just without something onscreen.
as far as I can see, either that is not the case, or my adapter is causing the problem, (could pin 14 do that?), or I have a defective card.

edit: I was able to test the adapter on my mac, and it worked fine.

so I guess I'm back to power.