Taskbar Clutter slowing bootup?

I run W2KPro with SP4.
My laptop has P4 with 512 RAM fitted yet it is slow to
boot. Otherwise she is good!
It has about 18 icons on the bottom RHS of the taskbar. I
understand that this may slow the boot up process? How do
I reduce their number. I have tried Right click
and 'close' etc but does not permanently remove them from
the bar.
Also does the number of shortcuts on the DESKTOP have a
significant effect?
7 answers Last reply
More about taskbar clutter slowing bootup

    Natively you can; Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer
    Management(Local)\System Information\Software Environment\Startup
    Programs|View|Advanced, then in the "Location" column, you'll find the path
    to the "Startup" location either in the "Startup" directories or from the
    registry's "Run" keys.

    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    You can delete the shortcuts that you no longer want to run.

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    You can delete the string value for the program you no longer want to run.

    or copy msconfig from Windows XP to the "windows" directory

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Robbie" wrote:
    |I run W2KPro with SP4.
    | My laptop has P4 with 512 RAM fitted yet it is slow to
    | boot. Otherwise she is good!
    | It has about 18 icons on the bottom RHS of the taskbar. I
    | understand that this may slow the boot up process? How do
    | I reduce their number. I have tried Right click
    | and 'close' etc but does not permanently remove them from
    | the bar.
    | Also does the number of shortcuts on the DESKTOP have a
    | significant effect?

    Click "start" then "run" then type "msconfig". MSCONFIG will allow you to
    disable and re-enable startup services and programs.

    --
    Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
    Enterprise Platform Support

    "Robbie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I run W2KPro with SP4.
    > My laptop has P4 with 512 RAM fitted yet it is slow to
    > boot. Otherwise she is good!
    > It has about 18 icons on the bottom RHS of the taskbar. I
    > understand that this may slow the boot up process? How do
    > I reduce their number. I have tried Right click
    > and 'close' etc but does not permanently remove them from
    > the bar.
    > Also does the number of shortcuts on the DESKTOP have a
    > significant effect?

    Typed in msconfig into 'RUN' but response was 'cannot
    find...'etc
    What do I do ??!!

    To obtain a brand-new updated version of msconfig.exe, go
    to: [Unwrap URL!]
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/downloads/servicepac
    ks/sp1/ordercd.asp
    or to: [Unwrap URL!]
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
    FamilyID=83e4e879-fa3a-48bf-ade5-
    023443e29d78&displaylang=en

    Then download (or copy from the cd when it arrives) a
    rather large compressed file named xpsp1a_en_x86.exe and
    use winzip [or wincommander or total commander unpacker)
    to extract from it a file named msconfig.ex_.
    Now expand this file [and rename it] into:

    c:\winnt\system32\msconfig.exe

    and you are done.

    Note that many download websites offer msconfig.exe to
    users of Windows 2000, but nobody can assure you of the
    authenticity of those versions, whereas the rather
    complicated procedure described above provides you with a
    bone fide original msconfig.exe file straight from the
    actual source.

    Searched high and low on the Microsoft site using the
    address http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
    but could not then find the file!!
    Where is it or am I blind...! R

    and
    >>confers no rights.
    >>>"Robbie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >>message
    >taskbar.
    How
    >>do
    >>from
    >>>>

    >>>.
    >>>
    >>.
    >>
    >.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Each of the URL's I gave is a long line that gets wrapped
    into 2 or 3 lines in my message due to format limitations.
    Therefore you have to "unwrap" each URL by copying all its
    component lines back into a single long line (without
    spaces) in a notepad text file, and then into the Address
    line in Internet Explorer.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    I've got 'msconfig'(56kb) extracted from the 125MB
    Download onto the desktop.
    Precisely what do I do then...!! You said 'Now expand this
    file [and rename it]' - how exactly do you do that etc...
    What do I do with the Download by the way i.e. with the
    125 MB bit?? Throw it away..?
    Why could I not just download that little bit - seems such
    a waste!! Or are there other bits that I need or could use.
    Please explain.
    Thanks for the patience...

Taskbar Boot Windows