Taskbar Clutter slowing bootup?

I run W2KPro with SP4.
My laptop has P4 with 512 RAM fitted yet it is slow to
boot. Otherwise she is good!
It has about 18 icons on the bottom RHS of the taskbar. I
understand that this may slow the boot up process? How do
I reduce their number. I have tried Right click
and 'close' etc but does not permanently remove them from
the bar.
Also does the number of shortcuts on the DESKTOP have a
significant effect?

Natively you can; Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Computer
Management(Local)\System Information\Software Environment\Startup
Programs|View|Advanced, then in the "Location" column, you'll find the path
to the "Startup" location either in the "Startup" directories or from the
registry's "Run" keys.

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

You can delete the shortcuts that you no longer want to run.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You can delete the string value for the program you no longer want to run.

or copy msconfig from Windows XP to the "windows" directory

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Robbie" wrote:
|I run W2KPro with SP4.
| My laptop has P4 with 512 RAM fitted yet it is slow to
| boot. Otherwise she is good!
| It has about 18 icons on the bottom RHS of the taskbar. I
| understand that this may slow the boot up process? How do
| I reduce their number. I have tried Right click
| and 'close' etc but does not permanently remove them from
| the bar.
| Also does the number of shortcuts on the DESKTOP have a
| significant effect?

Click "start" then "run" then type "msconfig". MSCONFIG will allow you to
disable and re-enable startup services and programs.

--
Elijah Landreth [MSFT]
Enterprise Platform Support

"Robbie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I run W2KPro with SP4.
> My laptop has P4 with 512 RAM fitted yet it is slow to
> boot. Otherwise she is good!
> It has about 18 icons on the bottom RHS of the taskbar. I
> understand that this may slow the boot up process? How do
> I reduce their number. I have tried Right click
> and 'close' etc but does not permanently remove them from
> the bar.
> Also does the number of shortcuts on the DESKTOP have a
> significant effect?

Typed in msconfig into 'RUN' but response was 'cannot
find...'etc
What do I do ??!!

confers no rights.
>"Robbie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> I run W2KPro with SP4.
>> My laptop has P4 with 512 RAM fitted yet it is slow to
>> boot. Otherwise she is good!
>> It has about 18 icons on the bottom RHS of the taskbar.
>> understand that this may slow the boot up process? How
do
>> I reduce their number. I have tried Right click
>> and 'close' etc but does not permanently remove them
from
>> the bar.
>> Also does the number of shortcuts on the DESKTOP have a
>> significant effect?
>>

>.

To obtain a brand-new updated version of msconfig.exe, go
to: [Unwrap URL!]
http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/downloads/servicepac
ks/sp1/ordercd.asp
or to: [Unwrap URL!]
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
FamilyID=83e4e879-fa3a-48bf-ade5-
023443e29d78&displaylang=en

Then download (or copy from the cd when it arrives) a
rather large compressed file named xpsp1a_en_x86.exe and
use winzip [or wincommander or total commander unpacker)
to extract from it a file named msconfig.ex_.
Now expand this file [and rename it] into:

c:\winnt\system32\msconfig.exe

and you are done.

Note that many download websites offer msconfig.exe to
users of Windows 2000, but nobody can assure you of the
authenticity of those versions, whereas the rather
complicated procedure described above provides you with a
bone fide original msconfig.exe file straight from the
actual source.

Searched high and low on the Microsoft site using the
address http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
but could not then find the file!!
Where is it or am I blind...! R

and
>>confers no rights.
>>>"Robbie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>message
>taskbar.
How
>>do
>>from
>>>>

>>>.
>>>
>>.
>>
>.

Each of the URL's I gave is a long line that gets wrapped
into 2 or 3 lines in my message due to format limitations.
Therefore you have to "unwrap" each URL by copying all its
component lines back into a single long line (without
spaces) in a notepad text file, and then into the Address
line in Internet Explorer.

I've got 'msconfig'(56kb) extracted from the 125MB
Download onto the desktop.
Precisely what do I do then...!! You said 'Now expand this
file [and rename it]' - how exactly do you do that etc...
What do I do with the Download by the way i.e. with the
125 MB bit?? Throw it away..?
Why could I not just download that little bit - seems such
a waste!! Or are there other bits that I need or could use.
Please explain.
Thanks for the patience...

TRENDING THREADS