Lost auto standby at greater than 5 min.

Have lost automatic standby and hibernate on my Win2K system. If I set timer
for 5 minutes system will standby. If time greater than 5 minutes system won
't standby and there does seam to be regular drive C activity at about the 5
minute point. Manual activation works. System was working fine for over a
year. Have tried stopping all processes that can be stopped. The only recent
change to system was update to IE 6. I obviously goofed and did something
wrong over the last 2 weeks. Any help greatly appreciated.

Bill

Ron

Same thing has happened to two of my systems that I
updated on 4/13/04 from the MS critical update package. It
is maddening. Systems worked great up till that point.
Only thing referred in the resource area is about not
using an "OpenGL" screen saver that could prevent system
from standing by. Windows is doing something to keep the
hardrive active after the first 5 minutes.

Have you had any luck?

Yes, I got my system working by uninstalling the 3 April updates -

KB837001, KB828741, KB835732. Haven't had enough time to figure out which
one is the offender yet. System is running just fine now. You can always
reinstall later.