Your question

Balancing Your CPU vs other components

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Performance
  • Components
Last response: in CPUs
February 25, 2007 8:27:13 PM

Balancing the components in your computer for your goals is sensible, and....quite a bit more complex than the very easy stuff about figuring out cpu performance.

But just because it's complex doesn't mean it can't be figured out.

When I pointed out a few times in the forum that it's better to put money in certain components to balance today's fast cpus in a system, plenty of posters showed they didn't know much about computer systems.

But...for those who want to learn more about building a high performance system, and are concerned about the main bottleneck on today's high performance computers, Tom's has oblidged with an update.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/16/2007-hdd-rundown...

We'd like to think that novices seeking advice here would learn that a better hard drive can allow a system to perform much better. Since its clear people often want to save money, and don't realize where it pays the most. We often see people re-using old hard drives while paying up for fast cpus.

More about : balancing cpu components

February 25, 2007 8:29:38 PM

Basically, the point is simply that for a fast computer, it's cost efficient to pay $30 more for a hard drive, or even $100 (in the case of the 74Gig Raptor). {edit: that is an extra $100 premium for the raptor vs a new 80 gig 7200. The Raptor is around 20% faster than the best 7200 drives on average read speed, and more than that vs many average new drives. This makes for a snappier computer.}

This should go hand in hand with a cpu choice.

I think money on an e6600 or on any quad core is wasted for example without a top new hard drive.
February 25, 2007 8:38:51 PM

Quote:
Balancing the components in your computer for your goals is sensible, and....quite a bit more complex than the very easy stuff about figuring out cpu performance.

But just because it's complex doesn't mean it can't be figured out.

When I pointed out a few times in the forum that it's better to put money in certain components to balance today's fast cpus in a system, plenty of posters showed they didn't know much about computer systems.

But...for those who want to learn more about building a high performance system, and are concerned about the main bottleneck on today's high performance computers, Tom's has oblidged with an update.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/16/2007-hdd-rundown...

We'd like to think that novices seeking advice here would learn that a better hard drive can allow a system to perform much better. Since its clear people often want to save money, and don't realize where it pays the most. We often see people re-using old hard drives while paying up for fast cpus.
How many times are you going to create a thread on this?
If you can't think of new ideas for thread subjects, then don't create threads. There's no prize for "most threads created". :roll:
Related resources
February 25, 2007 8:48:26 PM

How many times will you have to repeat yourself? I expect quite a lot more! That is, if you need to repeat yourself every time I make a post. lol

:) 
February 25, 2007 8:49:23 PM

shameless self bumping of ones own thread!! SHAME ON YOU! Didn't your mamma teach you anything??

I'm sure anyone who is running a kentsfield can afford a raptor (or two or 11 or something)
February 25, 2007 8:51:23 PM

hmmm....

catch 22?

no, I guess the advice to me to ignore the trolls is good advice!
February 25, 2007 8:56:14 PM

It would be neat if someone replied with their own thoughts on "Balancing" the CPU with other system components!

Imagine!
February 25, 2007 9:14:54 PM

OH! I was wondering where the raptor guy went! He didnt go anywhere, i just forgot his name!
February 25, 2007 9:16:07 PM

Good points, but not universal.

For instance, there's a popular game that relies on constantly loading from the hard drive, and when you think about it, this makes sense, in that it opens up another kind of possibility in games. If I wanted even more detail and interesting realistic environments in games that weren't only mathematical iterations, then I'd think about my hard drive loading process, and of course, there are options.

But, although it's personal preference, it does matter to me to have my computer more snappy and quick, and able to do many tasks that are drive intensive at once (recording while playing video and other stuff simlu).

That said, sure you can re-use your old hard drive and have Corsair memory sticks that cost $350, etc., and whatever you please, to optimize your particular goals.
February 25, 2007 9:17:35 PM

Yeah, I'm salavitating about the solid state drives. No doubt I'll have one in a year or two.
February 25, 2007 9:30:42 PM

yeah, the transfer rates are key for me also.
February 25, 2007 9:50:31 PM

The only problem with flash drives is that they will die at some point, since they have finite number of reads/writes. A hard disk can go on forever!
February 25, 2007 10:46:31 PM

Quote:
The only problem with flash drives is that they will die at some point, since they have finite number of reads/writes. A hard disk can go on forever!

Actually the newer generations of solid state memory they are using for harddrives have a life expectancy on par or better than any mechanical hard drives. They should last for many years.

It has to do with the way they read/write data. Basically, they spread out the read/write operations so the entire drive is used up once for read/write operations before they start going over the same areas again.
February 25, 2007 11:20:06 PM

By the time the prices get down, things could be pretty interesting. A lot of new things are on the horizon, with the eDram from IBM for cpus also perhaps something that could be used in the RAM banks, there are a lot of kinds of memory advancing. Even with Vista doing all the fetching, the new type of gaming I mentioned is one possibility also.

I think in 5 years, games will look and feel rather different. Not just better at today's targets, but a whole different animal.
February 26, 2007 12:00:45 AM

What does THG think of me running an e6300 with crossfire x1950's and raid 10/0 - it would seem unbalanced - i found out by accident the e6300 works so well i did not upgrade the chip.

highly recommended low end C2D for gaming put the money in the gpu/psu

my psu and cpu are similar in cost - old rules really do not apply with high fsb mobos and chips the oc 50% plus at low temps
February 26, 2007 12:06:41 AM

Quote:
Basically, the point is simply that for a fast computer, it's cost efficient to pay $30 more for a hard drive, or even $100 (in the case of the 74Gig Raptor).

I think money on an e6600 or on any quad core is wasted for example without a top new hard drive.

I myself only buy Raptor's for my system drives, it makes a slightly noticable difference... all other drives for data, storage, MP3, etc are typical 7200 RPM drives.

However, I disagree that buying a E6600 is a waste without a Raptor, even a Raptor gives between 80 to 100 MB/sec transfer rates, typical 7200 RPM drives give 50-60 MB/sec transfer rates ... the FSB BW to the CPU is 8.5 GB/sec so what ever demand the CPU puts on a HD is insignificant compared to what it does to memory.

and make a big difference. (EDIT: oops, just noticed that the read and write speeds are not any better than 7200 RPM drives, so it won't make a difference at all).
Jeff

i get those speeds with 4 x $60 seagates (7200.9) in raid 10/0 same price as 1 raptor and 4 times the storage. diskspeed32 says my raid 10 is 72k kb raid 0 on slow inner center is 79k

don't get me wrong i run a 3 raptor raid 0 gaming system too
February 26, 2007 2:11:03 AM

Quote:
What does THG think of me running an e6300 with crossfire x1950's and raid 10/0 - it would seem unbalanced - i found out by accident the e6300 works so well i did not upgrade the chip.

highly recommended low end C2D for gaming put the money in the gpu/psu

my psu and cpu are similar in cost - old rules really do not apply with high fsb mobos and chips the oc 50% plus at low temps

Not sure what THG would think, but I think it's very reasonable! Eventually you be able to upgrade your cpu when it finally becomes necessary. It would be interesting to compare your frame rates with the 8800GT SLI article Tom's published, just outta curiosity.
February 26, 2007 3:39:23 AM

k, halbhh, you need some advice. :wink:

So, you say you will make this thread over and over till? EVERYONE gets it... hate to tell you, but everyone never gets it, or however grammar tells you to say that 8)

So, you should perhaps call for a sticky, written by someone with board cred :p  to write a sticky on how to balance a pc and eliminate bottlenecks, and that would be placed in the homebuilt section, where no one will read it :D 

Now even then people will still come one asking whether its ok to use their 40gig pata drive with their QX6700 but so what, you can deal with those cases indiviually, you don't need to post a thread daily to make a point. The only point you make is you are annoying :wink:
February 26, 2007 3:55:54 AM

Quote:

So, you say you will make this thread over and over till? EVERYONE gets it... hate to tell you, but everyone never gets it, or however grammar tells you to say that 8)

So, you should perhaps call for a sticky, written by someone with board cred :

The only point you make is you are annoying :wink:

why is it here at thg formums there are these rude amti people! it seems over and over they proudly display there out dated amti system.

let the guy post what he wants i think they have moderators

zalman heat sinks are poorly engineered -
amti chips are slow- 2.7ghz wow my e6300 can beat that
your gts is not factory oc
wd hds fail
crosshiar -- ok you get a "that a boy"

Aerocool ExtremEngine 3T
AMD x2 3800 EE Overclocked to 2.7ghz
Asus Crosshair
Zalman 9500
EVGA 8800GTS
Team Group Xtreem DDR2-800 4-4-4-10 RAM at 1100
Western Digital 250gig SE16 Hard Drive
Logitech G15 Keyboard, G7 Mouse

see I bet you do lie the criticism- you should be nice!

IFB (amti is always #2)
February 26, 2007 4:01:37 AM

Quote:

So, you should perhaps call for a sticky, written by someone with board cred :

The only point you make is you are annoying :wink:

why is it here at thg formums there are these rude amti people! it seems over and over they proudly display there out dated amti system.

let the guy post what he wants i think they have moderators

Your such a tard...

First of, i was somewhat joking, and i was pretty friendly. I just don't want him turning into a pest. :wink:

As for having an outdated system, you are really really stupid. My system works amazing and was a good value too. Plus i'll be able to upgrade to AM2+, so shut your troll mouth until you can think of something intelligent.
February 26, 2007 4:09:16 AM

Quote:
Basically, the point is simply that for a fast computer, it's cost efficient to pay $30 more for a hard drive, or even $100 (in the case of the 74Gig Raptor).

This should go hand in hand with a cpu choice.

I myself only buy Raptor's for my system drives, it makes a slightly noticable difference... all other drives for data, storage, MP3, etc are typical 7200 RPM drives.

However, I disagree that buying a E6600 is a waste without a Raptor, even a Raptor gives between 80 to 100 MB/sec transfer rates, typical 7200 RPM drives give 50-60 MB/sec transfer rates ... the FSB BW to the CPU is 8.5 GB/sec so what ever demand the CPU puts on a HD is insignificant compared to what it does to memory.

The difference a faster drive compared to a slower drive will make is in loading times, but running you will not perceive anything as most all software runs out of memory, until you run so many apps that windows starts using the virtual mem on the HD.

Or you could get this:
http://www.dailytech.com/Adtron+Delivers+160GB+Solidsta...

and make a big difference. (EDIT: oops, just noticed that the read and write speeds are not any better than 7200 RPM drives, so it won't make a difference at all).
Ooops typed my son's name....:) 

Jack

Ive been drooling over those SSDs for months now...an absolutley wonderful solution for an OS/boot drive, but so far, there has been lots of talk, only little product. The only ones I found in sata were over a grand, from some company Id never heard of, and they didnt seem interested in selling them for DTPC..... :cry: 

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...
February 26, 2007 4:21:58 AM

Quote:
Since its clear people often want to save money, and don't realize where it pays the most. We often see people re-using old hard drives while paying up for fast cpus.

Well, I reused my SATA 1.5 instead of getting a SATA 3.0 because I built a budget system. I did not do anything foolish like swing for a CPU that would bottleneck, or a GPU that would bottleneck. I tried to match the two.

I'm still planning on getting an 8600 Ultra when it arrives to replace the 7600GS, that might cause a CPU bottleneck but I could always try overclocking. I'm thinking that an 8800GTS would lead to a CPU bottleneck.

I do plan on getting a couple of 750 gig Seagate SATA 3.0 to replace the legacy drives. While an improvement, that would be more for storage than for high performance.
February 26, 2007 4:56:33 AM

I'm about to rearrange my entire computer because I think I could make it perform a wee better. Currently my computer is an Athlon XP 2700+ on a A7N8X-E Deluxe rev 2.0, 3 maxtor hdd's (1 40g,60g,200g) along with an BFG 7800 GS OC agp. 2.5 GB corsair value select PC3200. I currently have WinXP pro installed on the 40 Gb maxtor (because it is the fastest drive I have) and my pagefile set on a small 5 gb partition on the 60 gbb.. the 200 gb hd has only about 8 gb free and is on a PCI IDE card a Promise Ultra 133 if I remember... cant defragment it eficciently and also the MFT are outta whack on all 3 drives. I took apart the PSU the other day and noticed a black/brown discoloration on the copper looping inside of it and I've decided th PS is dying...although the Voltages don't seem to be to bad in Everest. 12v is fine.. 5v is under by .10. What I plan on doing is buying a new PS (I haven't decided which one yet) The old one was a Raidmax 420 Watt, did so good so far. I think I need about a 500w powersupply now because I plan on buying a 750 GB seagate soon to use on one of the unused SATA ports, (and buy another one down the road. That BFG agp video card pushes the limit of the old PSU I think. I really want to get rid of the PCI IDE card because It adds about 20-30 seconds to boot times. I am going to empty my 200 gb hdd drive onto the new 750 gb hdd drive, backup all the data offa the 40 gb hdd and format them all (hopefull with the right sized MTF this time). Reinstall WinXP pro on the 200gb, put the PF on the 40gb, leave all my data on the 750 gb and get an external USB hdd enclosure for the 60 gb which happens to be the slowest drive. after all this I will have only 1 sata port free for the planned second 750 seagate.. What do YOU think?? Sounds better balanced than before??
February 26, 2007 5:04:22 AM

Quote:
[Your such a tard...

First of, i was somewhat joking, and i was pretty friendly. I just don't want him turning into a pest. :wink:

As for having an outdated system, you are really really stupid. My system works amazing and was a good value too. Plus i'll be able to upgrade to AM2+, so shut your troll mouth until you can think of something intelligent.

good value? amazing? what ever its still number 2!
February 26, 2007 6:54:07 AM

The best thing to do with older IDE drives when you replace them, if you don't need them in a legacy PC, is to put them in an external drive bay. I have 300 gig Maxtor and a 160 gig WD in external Bytec bays that we use for additional storage alongside the external WD 250 and LaCie 500 brick.

PSUs that come with the case are usually bad. Find the thread discussing PSUs and get a good Seasonic, Thermaltake or one of the better Cooler Masters. You need something like 20 amps on the 12 volt rail for your 7800GS and you aren't getting it with that power supply.

I replaced a 350watt raidmax PSU with a Cooler Master real power 450 with 22 amps on the 12 volt rail and I intend on replacing the 400 watt Apex with a Seasonic 500 watt in my dual core as soon as I can afford it. Until then, I won't even trust upgrading to an 8600 Ultra.
February 26, 2007 10:05:48 AM

Eeee... I hope I didn't ruin the 7800 just yet...... it was a brand new upgrade from an old Sapphire 9600 Atlantis 256...... I have NO Idea how many amps I am getting on the old PSU on the 12v rail... Its just that I notice sometimes that the Nvidia control panel shuts down and some games get blocky I suppose. I think initially it was because i was sharing the 7800 with the 200 gb maxtor and 4 case fans... Right now its the 7800 being shared with the 4 case fans. I was thinking about getting either the Antec Truepower Trio 550 or the Smartpower 550...
February 26, 2007 2:12:27 PM

Quote:
I'm about to rearrange my entire computer because I think I could make it perform a wee better. Currently my computer is an Athlon XP 2700+ on a A7N8X-E Deluxe rev 2.0, 3 maxtor hdd's (1 40g,60g,200g) along with an BFG 7800 GS OC agp. 2.5 GB corsair value select PC3200. I currently have WinXP pro installed on the 40 Gb maxtor (because it is the fastest drive I have) and my pagefile set on a small 5 gb partition on the 60 gbb.. the 200 gb hd has only about 8 gb free and is on a PCI IDE card a Promise Ultra 133 if I remember... cant defragment it eficciently and also the MFT are outta whack on all 3 drives. I took apart the PSU the other day and noticed a black/brown discoloration on the copper looping inside of it and I've decided th PS is dying...although the Voltages don't seem to be to bad in Everest. 12v is fine.. 5v is under by .10. What I plan on doing is buying a new PS (I haven't decided which one yet) The old one was a Raidmax 420 Watt, did so good so far. I think I need about a 500w powersupply now because I plan on buying a 750 GB seagate soon to use on one of the unused SATA ports, (and buy another one down the road. That BFG agp video card pushes the limit of the old PSU I think. I really want to get rid of the PCI IDE card because It adds about 20-30 seconds to boot times. I am going to empty my 200 gb hdd drive onto the new 750 gb hdd drive, backup all the data offa the 40 gb hdd and format them all (hopefull with the right sized MTF this time). Reinstall WinXP pro on the 200gb, put the PF on the 40gb, leave all my data on the 750 gb and get an external USB hdd enclosure for the 60 gb which happens to be the slowest drive. after all this I will have only 1 sata port free for the planned second 750 seagate.. What do YOU think?? Sounds better balanced than before??

Wow, your complex plan rivals any I've ever made. :)  Just in case you didn't I suggest read the hard drive article on Tom's I linked in the first post of this thread, even if only the intros and conclusion. If you are choosing the 750G seagates in view of that anyway, you must need very massive storage. I certainly respect those drives. They are a top product, and make sense if you need massive storage on 1 computer and don't have the option to use a bunch of 320 Gig size drives (which are cheaper per gig).

Btw, kudos for putting your swap file on a second drive. Not many people read enough to know about that one. I think it's a good choice if someone multitasks a lot. I'm running 1.5Gigs of ram, and limited my swap file to 2 gigs, and it seems to work well. I typically use about 0.9-1.1 gigs of ram in average use.
February 26, 2007 3:20:26 PM

Quote:
Eeee... I hope I didn't ruin the 7800 just yet...... it was a brand new upgrade from an old Sapphire 9600 Atlantis 256...... I have NO Idea how many amps I am getting on the old PSU on the 12v rail... Its just that I notice sometimes that the Nvidia control panel shuts down and some games get blocky I suppose. I think initially it was because i was sharing the 7800 with the 200 gb maxtor and 4 case fans... Right now its the 7800 being shared with the 4 case fans. I was thinking about getting either the Antec Truepower Trio 550 or the Smartpower 550...

No doubt the PSU will be a nice upgrade, and re-useale for years if you don't get a bargin one that hasn't the newer technology.

I just noticed that you have the same motherboard I had before my current one, and loved, and is now my wife's computer, with a Barton 2800. We run McAfee on it, and it is usually either being used or in standby, so she has a 5 seconds to use generally. I can't see why she couldn't use it just as it is another 5 years or longer.
February 26, 2007 3:42:39 PM

Quote:
your answer is here:

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=618&p=1

also you find the oc gts is almost as good as the gtx here:

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/980/5/page_5_benchmar...

this is the wrong gtx article - i find it tomorrow and post it.

amti is always #2

Great Link! Thanks. The Conclusion page was especially interesting. Most games play great with even a "slow" X2 3800, but some games can take advantage of an overclock or better processor. This will mean more as bigger monitors become more common. Most people still have 19" (or less) LCDs of course.

By the time I buy an 8800 or the ATI competitor, I'll pay well under $250 I imagine.

btw, I gather you are an avid Intel fan. That doesn't bother me at all. :)  I'm hoping both Intel and AMD do well, for the benefit of all of us that build computers.

Occasionally, someone goes off like a crack addict and accuses me of being an AMD fanboy, lol. I couldn't really claim to be, but if I was, I'd be proud of it.
February 26, 2007 3:49:21 PM

Quote:
Wow, your complex plan rivals any I've ever made. :)  Just in case you didn't I suggest read the hard drive article on Tom's I linked in the first post of this thread, even if only the intros and conclusion. If you are choosing the 750G seagates in view of that anyway, you must need very massive storage. I certainly respect those drives. They are a top product, and make sense if you need massive storage on 1 computer and don't have the option to use a bunch of 320 Gig size drives (which are cheaper per gig).

Btw, kudos for putting your swap file on a second drive. Not many people read enough to know about that one. I think it's a good choice if someone multitasks a lot. I'm running 1.5Gigs of ram, and limited my swap file to 2 gigs, and it seems to work well. I typically use about 0.9-1.1 gigs of ram in average use.
The 750 gb is for when it EVENTUALLY becomes a MythTV box.... I'm planning on building a new computer anyways in about 3-4 months
February 26, 2007 4:38:23 PM

"MythTV"....interesting name. What is that?
February 26, 2007 4:54:39 PM

Quote:
"MythTV"....interesting name. What is that?
lol you haven't heard of it?? Its a Linux based PVR suite... >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythTV.. supposed to be better than Windows Media Center... I mean jeez.. look at all the plugins available for MythTv 8O
February 26, 2007 6:47:27 PM

ah. I built my PVR about a year and a half back I guess. I'm satisfied with it, but about the bigger picture, I've thought about Linux a few times. Since I buy hard drives often enough, it wouldn't cost much to try it. I'm curious about your opinion of Linux, strengths and weaknesses. Currently my security suite is free and the 5 security programs work quite well IMO, so there is no cost for security for me right now.
February 26, 2007 8:05:58 PM

I'm honestly surprised we're not seeing more solid-state drives.

1GB of flash runs < $5 in bulk (We're talking Bill of Materials-bulk here). Pair that with 1GB or so of battery-backed RAM to offset the write-limitations of the flash, and you'd have yourself an inexpensive 16GB drive.

You could manufacture a 16 GB flash drive (without RAM) for ~$100, which translates to about $200 to $250. Add 1GB DDR @ $100, and you have a blazing-fast solid state drive for < $400. A 32GB drive could go for $500.

Interlacing the chips could deliver well above 100MB/s reads with access times in the µS. Throw two of those in a RAID-0 config and you're talking some SERIOUS speed.

The problem is that flash doesn't like random writes, and flash isn't as reliable as RAM. I think a modular design paired with some RAM could solve that problem, though.

Awe well.

I just built 2 new computers for myself with a modest budget, and I passed on a lot of luxuries, including Raptors (I can get a Raptor X for $150). Honestly, it's twice the price for 1/2 the storage. For that price, I'd personally rather 4 7200.10's in RAID 0.

With 4 7200.10's, you're talking about ~240 MB/s or so, with probably about 160MB/s with 2 raptors. Since most single-user ops are sequential (i.e. loading windows, games, etc), I would imagine you'd be better off with the 4 drives in RAID 0. Not to mention 4x7200.10 drives would give you 1200 GB @ $360, where 2xRaptor X would deliver 300GB @ ~$440. If you're going to spend almost $500 on your hard drives, you could get a couple 74GB 15K drives for $500, run software raid 0, and (probably) still get much better performance than the raptors.

Going back to the title of the post, I jus built a friend a Pentium D 820 paired with a 1950 XT. I think the biggest mistake people make is to buy an expensive processor with a cheap video card. CPU's have simple outpaced GPUs, and this year should bring another round of quickly-obsoleted CPUs. (i.e. If you buy an expensive processor, be prepared for buyers remorse when the next model comes out in < 6 months).
February 27, 2007 5:46:44 AM

Quote:
I have NO Idea how many amps I am getting on the old PSU on the 12v rail... Its just that I notice sometimes that the Nvidia control panel shuts down and some games get blocky I suppose.

All power supplies sold should have their amps on the 12 volt rail out front. The thing is, the side stickers often give the max amps the rail can take, but not the actual amps delivered. That has to be calculated, which mpilchfamily describes in his PSU 101 thread:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/PSU-101-ftopict...

He provided a list of good current PSUs in this thread:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/PSU-Refrence-Li...

That Cooler Master Real Power 450 I put in my old Northwood box only delivers 22 amps on the 12 volt rail, which is why I didn't move it to the new X2 system I built. I'll use the current barebones PSU until I can get a better one. It supposedly has 29 amps on the single 12 volt rail with 400 watts, but it's an Apex, not one of the best brands. I'll probably get the Seasonic 500 watt with 38 amps. That should be enough for two hard drives, an X2 3800+ and the 8800GTS I'm thinking of upgrading to.

The only issue I had with my new PC and a game was Oblivion, and it was memory related. I was used to no issues at medium settings on the old 2.8 Northwood with 2 gigs of RAM. I'd run Azureus in the background and would only experience a slowdown if a Trendmicro virus scan started.

Well, I figured I'd have fewer slowdowns with the X2, but I could only afford one stick of DDR2, so I only have 1 gig of RAM. Oblivion crashes to desktop every once in awhile if everything's running. If I shut azureus down and reboot, then I can play for hours with no problems. If a virus scan starts, it usually minimizes Oblivion and I can pause the virus scan till I'm finished gaming. I figure once I get another gig of RAM, I'll be back to normal.

At least the dual core and the 7600GS give me high settings with double the framerates. I can't wait to play Oblivion, and later Two Worlds, with an 8800GTS, or if worse comes to worse, an 8600 Ultra.

Quote:

Going back to the title of the post, I jus built a friend a Pentium D 820 paired with a 1950 XT. I think the biggest mistake people make is to buy an expensive processor with a cheap video card. CPU's have simple outpaced GPUs, and this year should bring another round of quickly-obsoleted CPUs. (i.e. If you buy an expensive processor, be prepared for buyers remorse when the next model comes out in < 6 months).

What seems harder to calculate than the amps on a 12 volt rail are the relative bottlenecks of CPU and GPU combinations. I'm not sure if I'd be CPU limited with an 8800GTS and if I'd be better off with an 8600 Ultra when they arrive. Eventually, I'll put the least expensive AM2+ quad core in, which is why I didn't swing more for the CPU this year, but I'll probably keep the DX10 GPU until it can't keep up with future DX10 games.
February 27, 2007 12:41:11 PM

(I hate it when I typo and only read it in a quote ;)  )

I'm overclocking the 820 next week, so I'll be able to tell how much the CPU is bottlenecking the performance (he has oblivion). It should be interesting to see how an OC'ed sub-$100 processor fares with a $250 video card.

He spent $1100 for a completely new computer, including 19" viewsonic widescreen LCD. For the price; it screams.
March 5, 2007 12:31:07 AM

Quote:
(I hate it when I typo and only read it in a quote ;)  )

I'm overclocking the 820 next week, so I'll be able to tell how much the CPU is bottlenecking the performance (he has oblivion). It should be interesting to see how an OC'ed sub-$100 processor fares with a $250 video card.

He spent $1100 for a completely new computer, including 19" viewsonic widescreen LCD. For the price; it screams.

So....how did it turn out?

edit: ah...I see it's not quite next week! but after you do your benches, I'm curious to see the results.
March 10, 2007 2:59:50 AM

Finally got the new power supply... an Antec Smartpower) 500 w...... I think its 17A on the 12v.. Its really not bad.. I am hard of hearing and wear a hearingaid and I was surprised to hear less noise than normal coming from my computer. On the old PSU when I played games (F.E.A.R, HL2, BF2142) the BFG card only went up to about 44 degrees max.. now it goes up to 50.. does this mean its's performing better??.. LOLOL. Anyways the NvCPL.. control panel no longer dissapears... Game and video come through fantastically now. There is just one wee problem, Its modular and it came with 2 (5x Molex) strands. Now there is a 6 pin PCI-E that is not modular and comes out with the 24 pin Mobo conecctor. They included another 6 pin PCI-E connector.. The thing is that the BFG video card takes a 4 pin molex........... and there are plenty of adaptors for Molex > PCI-e, But there are NONE to go backwards from PCI-E to Molex... I've researched this Issue and the only one I could find was available ...... overseas lol. Im just wondering if its a bad idea voltage wise to go backwards from a PCI-e to Molex?? after all The BFG still needs the power and I might as well use the PCI-E ...........
March 10, 2007 10:10:51 PM

If you have multiple 12v rails on the PSU, it's probably better to use the dedicated PCI-E connector since it may have its own 12V rail.

I haven't seen any PCI-E to 4-pin MOLEX connectors out there, but if you can't find one and you're crafty, you can make your own pretty easily by going to Mouser or Digikey and picking up the parts there.

The zalman cooler I bought for my PD820 had a bad bracket, so I'm waiting on new brackets to come from Zalman. I didn't want to RMA the whole thing for 1 small metal bracket.
!