Boot problems

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

About 2 months ago, I started building a new system. It
is a 2.6Gig Processor with 256 Meg of Ram and an 80 Gig
Harddrive. I have been trying to load Windows 2000 Pro on
the machine but it comes up with the error that the
ntoskrnl.exe file is either missing or corrupt. So I went
to the microsoft website to look for a possible solution.
I found the article about the boot file being misdirected
to the wrong partition, so I threw in the Win2k cd and
went to repair. I was able to fix the attributes, but
have no idea how to edit the boot.ini file itself. I
checked the boot file on another computer that runs win2k
just fine. The only difference in the boot.ini files was
the timeout=xx. The operational computer had timeout=30.
Mine has timeout=1. Could this be the source of my
problems or is there something else?

Thanks,
Aaron

ARC Path

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)

multi(0) <<<< Controller Number
disk(0) <<<< Always 0
rdisk(0) <<<< Disk ordinal # of disk on adapter
Partition(2) <<<< Partition number 0-3

it sounds like you have the partition number wrong, this is almost the exact
error message you would get if your partition number is wrong. Check to make
sure you are booting off the correct partition. If you do not know and just
want to check, you can create a boot floppy....

Create a NTFS Boot Floppy
1.. Format floppy with a NT/2000/2003 box
2.. Copy NTLDR / NTDETECT /Boot.ini
You can then change the boot.ini oon the floppy.

--
Kyle Lang [MSFT]
This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Aaron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> About 2 months ago, I started building a new system. It
> is a 2.6Gig Processor with 256 Meg of Ram and an 80 Gig
> Harddrive. I have been trying to load Windows 2000 Pro on
> the machine but it comes up with the error that the
> ntoskrnl.exe file is either missing or corrupt. So I went
> to the microsoft website to look for a possible solution.
> I found the article about the boot file being misdirected
> to the wrong partition, so I threw in the Win2k cd and
> went to repair. I was able to fix the attributes, but
> have no idea how to edit the boot.ini file itself. I
> checked the boot file on another computer that runs win2k
> just fine. The only difference in the boot.ini files was
> the timeout=xx. The operational computer had timeout=30.
> Mine has timeout=1. Could this be the source of my
> problems or is there something else?
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron

How exactly do I create the floppy if I can not get into
windows? Can I do it from the repair console?

Thank you for your help.
Aaron

Found how to create the floppy.
My only other question is: What would cause it to be
looking at the wrong partition when there is only one
partition on the drive? I have the 8 Meg of unformated
space and 76### Meg formated in NTFS in partition 1. The
Boot.ini file shows multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1).
Is this an error caused by certain types of MBoards or
Bios? Or could I have a bad copy of Win2K?

With out look at your hard drive with diskprobe, I really could not tell
you.