win2k sp4 hang on boot

OS: Win2k sp4 with all the latest windows updates
Problem: Hangs at boot up at "Preparing network connections..."
Machine: Dell PowerEdge 600SC
Configuration: PDC with DNS and IIS Web services enabled; intended as
a private web server; dynamic IP address via DHCP
Cause: TCP/IP filtering enabled with settings:
TCP: permit only 53 (DNS), 3389 (RDP), 80 (HTTP), and 443 (HTTPS)
UDP: permit only 53 (DNS)
IP: permit only none

When TCP/IP filtering is disabled, the problem goes away. The only
articles I found in MSFT support are related to unpatched Win2k. The
only thing in newsgroups says to use an external firewall.

Interestingly enough, while the server was hanged at the "Preparing
network connections..." step, I could actually connect via RDP to the
server, log in as administrator, and do pretty much anything.

Shailesh Humbad wrote:

> OS: Win2k sp4 with all the latest windows updates
> Problem: Hangs at boot up at "Preparing network connections..."
> Machine: Dell PowerEdge 600SC
> Configuration: PDC with DNS and IIS Web services enabled; intended as a
> private web server; dynamic IP address via DHCP
> Cause: TCP/IP filtering enabled with settings:
> TCP: permit only 53 (DNS), 3389 (RDP), 80 (HTTP), and 443 (HTTPS)
> UDP: permit only 53 (DNS)
> IP: permit only none
>
> When TCP/IP filtering is disabled, the problem goes away. The only
> articles I found in MSFT support are related to unpatched Win2k. The
> only thing in newsgroups says to use an external firewall.
>
> Interestingly enough, while the server was hanged at the "Preparing
> network connections..." step, I could actually connect via RDP to the
> server, log in as administrator, and do pretty much anything.

Problem resolved. It was just taking a very long time to boot.