Colosseum general questions

Last response: in Video Games
August 3, 2004 11:55:00 PM

I am seriously thinking of getting a 'cube. I've had everything else
Ninetendo has put out since the original NES, so, it is only a matter of
time. I like pokemon and I have enjoyed the Stadium games for the N64
and a couple of GB color games as well. So, I was pleased to hear about
Pokemon Colosseum when it came out. I do have some questions about it
though...

Isn't it more of a RPG where you travel and adventure, sort of like the
GB games? Can you play against an opponent, like in Stadium? Are there
any mini games like in Stadium? Is there any use for a gameboy anywhere
in this game? I know I enjoyed using my old pokemon red and yellow with
the little adaptor thingy, that let me use my 'own' monsters instead of
renting them. Can GB games be used like that?

Thanks for answering these dumb questions! <grin>

Astronomersmith
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 11:55:01 PM

Astronomer Smith wrote:

> Isn't it more of a RPG where you travel and adventure, sort of like the
> GB games?

Sort of, with a capital "SORT." For one, there are no wild Pokemon in
the game. The only way to get new Pokemon is to steal them from other
trainers, and then you can only snatch the corrupted Shadow Pokemon.
There's also the business of purifying the corrupted Pokemon so they act
like normal Pokemon again (Shadow Pokemon don't level up).

> Can you play against an opponent, like in Stadium?

Yes, but not like in Stadium. In order to have multiplayer, you need at
least one GBA with an Advance-genergation (Ruby, Sapphire, Fire Red,
Leaf Green) Pokemon game. There are no rental Pokemon whatsoever, and
you can't use Shadow Pokemon in multiplayer.

> Are there
> any mini games like in Stadium?

No. There isn't even a Game Corner.

> Is there any use for a gameboy anywhere
> in this game?

See multiplayer. You can also trade purified Pokemon into a GBA Pokemon
game once you've initially beaten the game, or use Pokemon from your GBA
in solo Colosseum mode.

> I know I enjoyed using my old pokemon red and yellow with
> the little adaptor thingy, that let me use my 'own' monsters instead of
> renting them. Can GB games be used like that?

Pokemon Colossuem does not allow you to play GBA Pokemon games.
However, if you use a team of Pokemon from your GBA in Colosseum mode,
you can see your chosen trainer in 3D.

> Thanks for answering these dumb questions! <grin>

You're welcome. ^_^

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531

My Adventure Quest character:

August 4, 2004 5:07:30 AM

>Isn't it more of a RPG where you travel and adventure, sort of like the
>GB games?

Yes, there is a story mode to the game.

>Can you play against an opponent, like in Stadium?

Yep, there's also that option.

>Are there
>any mini games like in Stadium?

Nope.

>Is there any use for a gameboy anywhere
>in this game?

Yep. Trading the 'mons you capture in Story Mode to your GBA carts (Ruby and
Sapphire, plus the upcoming Fire Red and Leaf Green). Not sure on anything
else, however.

William Rendfeld
Creator of Echowarrior and Alex Masters
178,000 Excellent Author Points
1 'I knew odd pokefacts that confused a bread crumb' point.
20 Y2Tech Points
August 4, 2004 3:26:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,alt.games.pokemon (More info?)

Once upon a time Astronomer Smith decided to write:

> I am seriously thinking of getting a 'cube. I've had everything else
> Ninetendo has put out since the original NES, so, it is only a matter
> of time. I like pokemon and I have enjoyed the Stadium games for the
> N64 and a couple of GB color games as well. So, I was pleased to
> hear about Pokemon Colosseum when it came out. I do have some
> questions about it though...
>
> Isn't it more of a RPG where you travel and adventure, sort of like
> the GB games?

It is, but you don't catch Pokémon from grassy areas, you 'snag' them off
opponents. This means there's a limited number of Pokémon you can catch, but
it is possible to breed. The RPG mode is also different in that you only
explore towns. There's no path to walk from town to town, you do that in a
vehicle shown by a short cut scene.

> Can you play against an opponent, like in Stadium?

Yes.

> Are there any mini games like in Stadium?

No

> Is there any use for a
> gameboy anywhere in this game? I know I enjoyed using my old pokemon
> red and yellow with the little adaptor thingy, that let me use my
> 'own' monsters instead of renting them. Can GB games be used like
> that?

You can use GBA games only. You can only use them once you've unlocked
certain things in story mode. There are no rental Pokémon anymore, which can
be a bit of a bummer. You can have a pre-selected team though when battling
if you don't use your GBA mons, and all these things refer to the battle
mode, not the story mode.

--

Insert advertisement here.
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,alt.games.pokemon (More info?)

Thank you eveyone for the answers. You have helped a bunch!

Now I am looking forward to getting this game even more. One last round
of questions (at least for now), When you first begin, do you have a
pokemon? If so, do you have any choice, Like in the GB games where you
get to pick one of three at random? Or, do you just get one with no choice?

Astronomersmith
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 3:26:04 PM

"Chriz" <chrizizhere@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2nas96Fuibs1U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> but it is possible to breed.

?! News to me...

-Andrusi &&
Sanity not included.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 5:34:10 PM

>Now I am looking forward to getting this game even more. One last round
>of questions (at least for now), When you first begin, do you have a
>pokemon? If so, do you have any choice, Like in the GB games where you
>get to pick one of three at random? Or, do you just get one with no choice?

You get two, actually; a male Umbreon and Espeon. You don't have much choice in
the matter, however.

William Rendfeld
Creator of Echowarrior and Alex Masters
178,000 Excellent Author Points
1 'I knew odd pokefacts that confused a bread crumb' point.
20 Y2Tech Points
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 10:03:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,alt.games.pokemon (More info?)

In article <d95427ae.0408040800.5bb289a3@posting.google.com>,
Andrusi <asverner@unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:
>"Chriz" <chrizizhere@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2nas96Fuibs1U1@uni-berlin.de>...
>> but it is possible to breed.
>
>?! News to me...

Not in Coliseum (unless I myself and every guide I've read missed
something big), but you can trade to R/S and breed there.

The really annoying thing is that these Pokemon don't show up on
your Pokedex there, but in Ruby I do have a Battle Tower team that
includes a Houndoom, and it's doing fairly well so far.

The trick is to wind up with female Pokemon in Coliseum, and that
doesn't always happen. (I reset about ten times trying to get a
female Cyndaquil, for example.) I hear that Ditto is available
in Fire Red/Leaf Green, coming out in the US next month, and so
I'll be able to breed the males. I also hear that trading with
FR/LG will extend the Ruby/Sapphire Pokedexes, which would be
nice.

david@thornley.net | If you don't, flee.
August 5, 2004 12:21:08 PM

"Astronomer Smith" <astronomersmith@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Now I am looking forward to getting this game even more. One last round
> of questions (at least for now), When you first begin, do you have a
> pokemon? If so, do you have any choice, Like in the GB games where you
> get to pick one of three at random? Or, do you just get one with no
choice?

After playing the game for a while you get to choose from the evolved form
of the three GS starters. But you have to snag them and you end up having a
shot at the other two later on in the game. I went for bayleef, and I'm
very happy too.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 8:43:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,alt.games.pokemon (More info?)

Once upon a time David Thornley decided to write:

>>> but it is possible to breed.
>>
>> ?! News to me...
>>
> Not in Coliseum (unless I myself and every guide I've read missed
> something big), but you can trade to R/S and breed there.

I assumed that you could breed Pokémon at the Day Care Centre in Colosseum,
but apparently not.

--

Insert advertisement here.
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon,alt.games.pokemon (More info?)

Once upon a time Clark decided to write:

> "Astronomer Smith" <astronomersmith@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Now I am looking forward to getting this game even more. One last
>> round of questions (at least for now), When you first begin, do you
>> have a pokemon? If so, do you have any choice, Like in the GB games
>> where you get to pick one of three at random? Or, do you just get
>> one with no choice?
>
> After playing the game for a while you get to choose from the evolved
> form of the three GS starters. But you have to snag them and you end
> up having a shot at the other two later on in the game. I went for
> bayleef, and I'm very happy too.

I went for Bayleef too, probably my favourite of the three, followed by
Typholsion and Feraligator. The problem is that I didn't think ahead at that
point in the game and caught a male rather than a female. Oh BTW, Body Slam
is useful for weakening Pokémon you want to snag.
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 5:25:48 PM

> Once upon a time David Thornley decided to write:

>>> ?! News to me...
>>>
>> Not in Coliseum (unless I myself and every guide I've read missed
>> something big), but you can trade to R/S and breed there.
>
> I assumed that you could breed Pokémon at the Day Care Centre in
> Colosseum,
> but apparently not.

Nope, but certain personalities of Pokemon get rid of their
shadow taint better at the Day Care than others. You can drop
one off there and their taint will slowly fade while you run around,
but it will not gain levels like in the GB games. The only way you
can get them XP is to battle with them.

TME
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 11:11:41 PM

"The Magic Engineer" <pem79@flash.net> wrote in message news:<w7Y0d.7516$1N4.1657@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>...

> Nope, but certain personalities of Pokemon get rid of their
> shadow taint better at the Day Care than others. You can drop
> one off there and their taint will slowly fade while you run around,
> but it will not gain levels like in the GB games. The only way you
> can get them XP is to battle with them.

To breed, you would need two pokemon. In 'Colosseum', day care holds
one pokemon for you. To breed, you would need to trade to some other
pokemon game. (Like Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/FireRed/LeafGreen on the
GameBoy Advance.)
!