Advice Needed: Router kills my download speed.

Dracula

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2005
Hi all,

When I connect to the Internet using my router the dl speed drops down by 1.5 to 2 Mb :(

But when connected directly to the Internet I get speeds of of about 9 Mb, while putting a router in between results in speeds of about 7Mb. I have tried three different routers and they all act the same way.

I have also tried different settings (and speed configurations) on my Ethernet adaptor and the router itself but no luck.

The routers I tried out:

Trendnet TEW-432BRP (A)
http://www.trendnet.com/products/TEW-432BRP_v1.htm

Blanc (Rebranded Gigafast WF719-CAPR)
http://www.gigafast.com/products/product_detail/WF719-CAPR.htm

D-link DI-624

I really appreciate your comments.

Dracula

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2005
what is LAN and who is your company????

are you talking about cable internet?

ethernet?

LAN is a kinda modem-free Internet. U only need to connect your computer directly to a pre-installed RJ-45 socket on the wall. It's a bit different from cable internet.

sturm

Splendid
Why are you using a router for? If you get an ip address directly from the wall socket you dont need a router. If you want to hookup more computers you need to get a switch.

Dracula

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2005
Why are you using a router for? If you get an ip address directly from the wall socket you dont need a router. If you want to hookup more computers you need to get a switch.

Actually, I use wireless router. I need it for my laptop and desktop.

sturm

Splendid
If your speeds are fine hooked directly to the wall and slow once you install the router try this if your router has a 4 port switch built in. Run a cable from the wall to port 1 on the router, not the wan port. Hook wired computer into port 2 and see if it connects. If so then try the wireless computer. If the wireless computer doesnt hook up you could try an AP hooked into the router.
Home routers are a router/switch combo unit. You should be able to use the switch part without using the router part.