Stop Error - ACPI BIOS not compliant

I have a Win 2000 installation where I am getting the
message "The ACPI BIOS in this system is not fully
compliant with the ACPI specification..." at the end of
the first boot sequence, just before the Win2K splash
screen appears.

I have read all the KB information about this message and
tried the fix using F7 from the boot CD, but it does not
seem to do anything.

Strange thing is ... I tried installing a fresh W2K on
the same drive, in a new folder, and it boots up fine.
But the original W2K installation still hangs with the
ACPI BIOS error. How can that be? Either the BIOS is
compliant, or it isn't...???!!!???

To thicken the plot a bit, my Win2K boot CD won't work on
this PC. It hangs at the point just after the "Press F6
to load RAID drivers, etc" message. To reinstall, I had
to use Win2K boot floppies and then the CD.

To thicken it a little more, Win2K was working just fine
on this PC until I removed the 4GB hard disk and tried to
replace it with the 13GB ATA-160 HDD. From then on,
things have gone haywire. I have removed the ATA-160
drive and cable and gone back to the old 4GB, but now I
have this ACPI error.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Tony
7 answers Last reply
More about stop error acpi bios compliant

    I should add that my PC is a PIII-650 Packard Bell with
    an MS6199VMS motherboard which should be ACPI compliant
    and has been used in the past with a 10GB ATA-160 HDD.

    Tony

    BIOS developer's and Microsoft's view on ACPI readiness may differ. F7 is
    useful during setup; It loads Standard HAL w/o a warning. You can merge
    HKLM\Hardware and System\CS001 parts of good registry into the broken one
    and try.
    Is this BIOS timestamped as year 2000? What is ATA-160?

    Hi Jetro

    I have now installed the latest Microstar BIOS patches using the MSI
    Updater, but still no joy. Can really get to the registry because Win2K
    won't start. ATA160 (or similar) is when you run the HDD with an 80-wire
    cable instead of a 40-wire. Both old and new BIOS are 2000 dates.

    Tony

    "Jetro" <no.spam@internet> wrote in message
    > BIOS developer's and Microsoft's view on ACPI readiness may differ. F7 is
    > useful during setup; It loads Standard HAL w/o a warning. You can merge
    > HKLM\Hardware and System\CS001 parts of good registry into the broken one
    > and try.
    > Is this BIOS timestamped as year 2000? What is ATA-160?

    Hi Tony,

    If the parallel installation uses ACPI HAL, then boot into parallel
    installation and edit the old hives. ATA-160: still curious where you got
    this terminology.

    Hi again Jetro

    By parallel installation, do you mean dual boot or something else? This
    machine has only one O/S. Right now it is working again, but with just one
    4GB hard disk on a 40-wire cable. I'd still like to get the 10GB HDD in
    there, but it causes so many problems when I try to do that.

    I think the terminology I should have used was Ultra/ATA or possibly ATA/60,
    being the use of an 80-wire controller cable to increase the IDE transfer
    speed from 3MBPS to 133 MPBS. Does that make more sense?

    Now, having said that, I notice that my BIOS defaults my drive controller to
    PIO mode ... to get the Ultra/ATA drive to work correctly, should I be
    changing that to DMA or Auto or something? Also, I cannot find any ACPI
    settings in the BIOS setup, even though I know the M/B is ACPI compliant and
    runs the latest BIOS.

    Not sure what to do about the registry at this stage. I did not do a clean
    W2K install this time - I reinstalled in a different folder and then deleted
    the old folder and associated files. It's working, but there are still
    issues. How can I know for sure that the HAL is installed properly to
    support ACPI?

    Tony

    "Jetro" <jetro@internet.net> wrote in message
    > Hi Tony,
    >
    > If the parallel installation uses ACPI HAL, then boot into parallel
    > installation and edit the old hives. ATA-160: still curious where you got
    > this terminology.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Hi Tony,

    The parallel installation I mentioned doesn't exist anymore in your machine
    since you deleted the original W2k directory (\winnt).
    ATA standard describes ATA (PIO 0, 1, and 2, DMA modes 0, 1, and 2, and
    MultiWord DMA 0), ATA-2 (PIO 3, 4, MW DMA 1 and 2), ATA-3, ATA-4 (Ultra DMA
    0, 1, 2, or UDMA/33 or UltraATA/33), ATA-5 (Ultra DMA 3, 4, or UDMA/66 or
    UltraATA/66), ATA-6 (Ultra DMA 5, or UDMA/100 or UltraATA/100). The latest
    parallel IDE interface is called just Ultra ATA/133 and it should be named
    ATA-7. SATA interface is running on 150MHz, and only SCSI can run on 160MHz
    currently, that's why the figure '160' looks annoying with regard to ATA
    devices.
    HAL: go to Device Manager, and expand Computer.
    PIO/UDMA mode: change the BIOS settings. Once again open the Device Manager,
    drill down to the IDE Controller, expand it and open the channel Properties,
    here you can change PIO/UDMA mode.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Hi Tony,

    I am facing exactly same problem as tours.You can understand my pain.

    I am also getting the
    message "The ACPI BIOS in this system is not fully
    compliant with the ACPI specification..." at the end of
    the first boot sequence, just before the Win2K splash
    screen appears.After that system writes the memory in dump upto 100
    secs and then the system re boots and same story repeats again.

    If you have got a solution to this BOIS ACPI compatibility problem i
    will be very much thankful to you if you mail the solution at
    swapneelkale@yahoo.com

    Thanks in advance.

    Regds,
    Swapneel Kale