One for the Road

I'm thinking of breeding a Pokemon in Pokemon Sapphire and transferring
the egg to Fire Red or Leaf Green once I get it. This Pokemon will be
serving a function on my team, either as a combatant, an utility
Pokemon, or a catcher, which will very well include Bulbasaur or its
evolutions. I'm currently thinking either a Cyndaquil (Quilava being
the only female starter I caught in Colosseum), Zigzagoon (to put HMs
on), or Shroomish (provided I can get Spore and Falseswipe on it), but
I'm open to suggestions. Preferably, this would be a Pokemon not found
in Fire Red or Leaf Green with a special, bred-on moveset. Any suggestions?

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531

My Adventure Quest character:

More about road

    Looking at the FireRed walkthru, you will not be able to trade till after
    you beat the elite 4 and finish the islands. by that time you will have
    been able to catch some Johto pokemon.

    "Chet Weaver - Chicks Dig Giant Robots" <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in
    message news:2naqf2FuopftU1@uni-berlin.de...

    noone wrote:
    > Looking at the FireRed walkthru, you will not be able to trade till after
    > you beat the elite 4 and finish the islands. by that time you will have
    > been able to catch some Johto pokemon.

    Say wha!? I thought you just needed a PokeDex. Or is that to trade
    with Colosseum?

    --

    Chet "Tech" Weaver

    AIM: PanGatomon
    MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
    eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
    Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
    ICQ: 122744531

    My Adventure Quest character:

    Trade Coli to R/S then to Fr/Lg after the quest to fix the mainframe.

    "Chet Weaver - Chicks Dig Giant Robots" <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in
    message news:2nflfcFe20qU1@uni-berlin.de...

    noone wrote:
    > Trade Coli to R/S then to Fr/Lg after the quest to fix the mainframe.

    What mainframe? You mean the Kid's Grid?

    Not that it really matters to me, since I've completed story mode already.

    --

    Chet "Tech" Weaver

    AIM: PanGatomon
    MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
    eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
    Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
    ICQ: 122744531

    My Adventure Quest character:

    In Fr/Lg, there are 7 islands that you get to after the Elite 4. On the
    first island is a mainframe that you need to repair with the Ruby Plate and
    Sapphire Plate. On the islands are Johto Pokemon as well as the quest for
    the plates. Once the plates are in place then you are able to trade the R/S
    pokemon

    look at the walkthru on www.serebii.net look under the Video Games section
    on the left

    "Chet Weaver - Chicks Dig Giant Robots" <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in
    message news:2nish0F1dknsU1@uni-berlin.de...
    > noone wrote:
    > > Trade Coli to R/S then to Fr/Lg after the quest to fix the mainframe.
    > >
    > What mainframe? You mean the Kid's Grid?
    >
    > Not that it really matters to me, since I've completed story mode already.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Chet "Tech" Weaver
    >
    > AIM: PanGatomon
    > MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
    > eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
    > Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
    > ICQ: 122744531
    > Webcomic: http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com
    >
    > My Adventure Quest character:
    > http://www.battleon.com/aq-chardetail.asp?temp=131213
    > You can play Adventure Quest at http://www.battleon.com
    >
    > Sometimes, I notice someone has posted a reply to one of my messages and
    > I think, "Oh, great, what did I say this time?"

    In Fr/Lg, there are 7 islands that you get to after the Elite 4. On the
    first island is a mainframe that you need to repair with the Ruby Plate and
    Sapphire Plate. On the islands are Johto Pokemon as well as the quest for
    the plates. Once the plates are in place then you are able to trade the R/S
    pokemon

    "Chet Weaver - Chicks Dig Giant Robots" <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in
    message news:2nish0F1dknsU1@uni-berlin.de...
    > noone wrote:
    > > Trade Coli to R/S then to Fr/Lg after the quest to fix the mainframe.
    > >
    > What mainframe? You mean the Kid's Grid?
    >
    > Not that it really matters to me, since I've completed story mode already.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Chet "Tech" Weaver
    >
    > AIM: PanGatomon
    > MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
    > eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
    > Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
    > ICQ: 122744531
    > Webcomic: http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com
    >
    > My Adventure Quest character:
    > http://www.battleon.com/aq-chardetail.asp?temp=131213
    > You can play Adventure Quest at http://www.battleon.com
    >
    > Sometimes, I notice someone has posted a reply to one of my messages and
    > I think, "Oh, great, what did I say this time?"

    "Chet Weaver - Chicks Dig Giant Robots" <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in
    message news:2nflfcFe20qU1@uni-berlin.de...
    > noone wrote:
    > > Looking at the FireRed walkthru, you will not be able to trade till
    after
    > > you beat the elite 4 and finish the islands. by that time you will have
    > > been able to catch some Johto pokemon.
    > >
    > Say wha!? I thought you just needed a PokeDex. Or is that to trade
    > with Colosseum?

    You do only need a Pokedex to trade. Unfortunately, in FR/LG, you don't
    receive your Pokedex until after you've beaten the Elite 4. The "Kantodex"
    that you receive at the beginning of the game isn't recognized by Ru/Sa or
    any of the Gamecube games, so you can not trade with them until you've
    received the secondary Dex.

    FR/LG isn't a very user-friendly game. Not only does it not allow you to
    trade with Ru/Sa, Colosseum, or Box until after you've completed every
    stupid little sidequest, you can't even evolve Pokemon such as Chansey and
    Golbat up until that point. To make matters worse, you can't breed Pokemon
    until after you've defeated the Elite 4. Since the breeding aspect of
    Pokemon is my main interest, I grew fed up with my copy of Leaf rather
    quickly.

    If you want to train a Ru/Sa ringer to add to your team after beating the
    Elite 4, I'd recommend Claydoll. Claydoll has a nice combination of traits
    which work well in FR/LG, since Electric, Rock, Psychic, and Ground
    techniques are all overused there.

    --Beth
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    "Bandraptor" <bandraptor@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > You do only need a Pokedex to trade. Unfortunately, in FR/LG, you don't
    > receive your Pokedex until after you've beaten the Elite 4. The
    "Kantodex"
    > that you receive at the beginning of the game isn't recognized by Ru/Sa or
    > any of the Gamecube games, so you can not trade with them until you've
    > received the secondary Dex.

    Wait. I thought that after defeating both Hoenn and Kanto Elites, you could
    trade between the two, unlocking the National Dex in both games. Am I
    mistaken?

    > FR/LG isn't a very user-friendly game. Not only does it not allow you to
    > trade with Ru/Sa, Colosseum, or Box until after you've completed every
    > stupid little sidequest

    This disturbs me. Do you need to do MORE than defeat the Elite Four? Or
    are you referring to the sidequests required to complete before hitting the
    'Four?

    > you can't even evolve Pokemon such as Chansey and
    > Golbat up until that point. To make matters worse, you can't breed
    Pokemon
    > until after you've defeated the Elite 4. Since the breeding aspect of
    > Pokemon is my main interest, I grew fed up with my copy of Leaf rather
    > quickly.

    Thing is, FL is just another nostalgia game - like the recent NES games and
    the plethora of SNES adaptions - except that it actually does interact with
    other new games. As such, it makes sense that the game itself plays just
    like the original RBY until you've completed the original storyline.

    I kinda like the idea, anyway. Your mileage may vary.

    --
    Steffan
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    "Steffan Alun" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > "Bandraptor" <bandraptor@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > You do only need a Pokedex to trade. Unfortunately, in FR/LG, you don't
    > > receive your Pokedex until after you've beaten the Elite 4. The
    > "Kantodex"
    > > that you receive at the beginning of the game isn't recognized by Ru/Sa
    or
    > > any of the Gamecube games, so you can not trade with them until you've
    > > received the secondary Dex.
    >
    > Wait. I thought that after defeating both Hoenn and Kanto Elites, you
    could
    > trade between the two, unlocking the National Dex in both games. Am I
    > mistaken?

    You don't need to beat the Elite 4 in Hoenn to trade with FR/LG. In Ru/Sa,
    you only need a Pokedex, and a minimum of two Pokemon to trade with any
    other game.

    In F/L, you receive the National Dex from Professor Oak after beating the
    Elite 4. You have to complete some side missions before the National Dex
    will be activated, actually allowing you to trade (if you try to trade
    before completing the missions, you'll get an error message telling you that
    you don't have a Pokedex).

    When you trade between F/L and Ru/Sa, the Ru/Sa National Dex is
    automatically unlocked.

    > > FR/LG isn't a very user-friendly game. Not only does it not allow you
    > > trade with Ru/Sa, Colosseum, or Box until after you've completed every
    > > stupid little sidequest
    >
    > This disturbs me. Do you need to do MORE than defeat the Elite Four? Or
    > are you referring to the sidequests required to complete before hitting
    the
    > 'Four?

    I'm referring to the sidequests that you have to complete in the Seven
    Islands. They take several hours to complete. Additionally, you have to
    capture a certain number of Pokemon before you can trade--I think the number
    is 75, but it might be 100.

    > > you can't even evolve Pokemon such as Chansey and
    > > Golbat up until that point. To make matters worse, you can't breed
    > Pokemon
    > > until after you've defeated the Elite 4. Since the breeding aspect of
    > > Pokemon is my main interest, I grew fed up with my copy of Leaf rather
    > > quickly.
    >
    > Thing is, FL is just another nostalgia game - like the recent NES games
    and
    > the plethora of SNES adaptions - except that it actually does interact
    with
    > other new games. As such, it makes sense that the game itself plays just
    > like the original RBY until you've completed the original storyline.

    I understand what you're saying. I just wish that Nintendo had given me the
    choice of playing the game like the original R/G, instead of forcing me to
    do so.

    There are a lot of things that I really like about FR/LG. I've never
    regretted importing my copy. I just found some aspects of it to be
    extraordinarily frustrating. Pokemon has always been billed as a
    multi-player game, so why restrict those features? Why prevent players from
    uploading to Pokemon Box right from the start--do we really gain anything by
    being forced to play through the entire game three times, just to get a full
    set of Starters?

    > I kinda like the idea, anyway. Your mileage may vary.
    >
    > --
    > Steffan

    --Beth
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    > There are a lot of things that I really like about FR/LG. I've never
    > regretted importing my copy. I just found some aspects of it to be
    > extraordinarily frustrating. Pokemon has always been billed as a
    > multi-player game, so why restrict those features? Why prevent players
    from
    > uploading to Pokemon Box right from the start--do we really gain anything
    by
    > being forced to play through the entire game three times, just to get a
    full
    > set of Starters?

    So you can't even trade between FR and LG until the Nationaldex is unlocked?

    Some of what you are saying does make some kind of RBY sense, but I think I
    agree with you. Finishing off the E4 so that unlocks being able to breed,
    then do some more on the Islands to unlock the Nationaldex seems to be much
    more complicated than it really needs to be.

    daramark
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    "Bandraptor" <bandraptor@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > You don't need to beat the Elite 4 in Hoenn to trade with FR/LG. In
    Ru/Sa,
    > you only need a Pokedex, and a minimum of two Pokemon to trade with any
    > other game.

    Oh, right. I kinda suspected as much since nobody had mentioned it, but it
    made more sense in my mind that both Elites would need to be beaten.

    > In F/L, you receive the National Dex from Professor Oak after beating the
    > Elite 4. You have to complete some side missions before the National Dex
    > will be activated, actually allowing you to trade (if you try to trade
    > before completing the missions, you'll get an error message telling you
    that
    > you don't have a Pokedex).

    Aha! Right, I didn't know that. I assumed RS and FL unlocked each other's
    National Dexes.

    > When you trade between F/L and Ru/Sa, the Ru/Sa National Dex is
    > automatically unlocked.

    Let's say I'd traded an Ampharos to RS from Coli and then traded it back. I
    use FL to unlock the National Dex. Ampharos used to be there, but now,
    after getting the Dex that recognises it, it's gone. Does it count? Does
    it get added anyway?

    > I'm referring to the sidequests that you have to complete in the Seven
    > Islands. They take several hours to complete. Additionally, you have to
    > capture a certain number of Pokemon before you can trade--I think the
    number
    > is 75, but it might be 100.

    Ahh. This doesn't bother me too much. I wanted to complete the FL Pokédex
    anyway, and this just gives me more motivation.

    Sure, it'd be nice if I could boost my RS Dex at the same time, but at least
    this way you don't have one superfull Dex and one containing a Squirtle and
    a Rattata.

    > I understand what you're saying. I just wish that Nintendo had given me
    the
    > choice of playing the game like the original R/G, instead of forcing me to
    > do so.

    Yeah, I agree. I've always thought it was silly to release so many old
    games on the GBA anyway. Sure, it's nice to be able to carry Super Mario
    World around with you, but it'd be nicer still to play a brand-new Mario
    game.

    It looks as though the GBA will continue to get mostly adaptions for popular
    lines while the new Dual Screen will get brand spanking new games.

    > There are a lot of things that I really like about FR/LG. I've never
    > regretted importing my copy. I just found some aspects of it to be
    > extraordinarily frustrating. Pokemon has always been billed as a
    > multi-player game, so why restrict those features? Why prevent players
    from
    > uploading to Pokemon Box right from the start-

    Wait.

    WAIT!

    FL is compatible with Box?

    Wicked!

    Seriously, this is good news for me. I'd pretty much accepted life without
    FL Box, seeing as Box actually says "Ruby and Sapphire Version" on it.

    > -do we really gain anything by
    > being forced to play through the entire game three times, just to get a
    full
    > set of Starters?

    Silly, that's why you find a friend to get the other version. One person
    will need to trade their starter away and restart, but after that, you can
    both play it normally.

    Personally, I only got the two remaining starters in Sapphire when they and
    their families represented five of only nine Pokémon I needed to catch. I
    guess I'm not too bothered abot Catching 'Em All in any particular order.

    --
    Steffan
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    "daramark" <mark.bull@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > So you can't even trade between FR and LG until the Nationaldex is
    unlocked?

    > Some of what you are saying does make some kind of RBY sense, but I think
    > agree with you. Finishing off the E4 so that unlocks being able to breed,
    > then do some more on the Islands to unlock the Nationaldex seems to be
    much
    > more complicated than it really needs to be.

    I guess it's to stop people trading to FL and storming the whole game. Same
    goes for Coli.

    --
    Steffan

Video Games