Win98/Win2000Prof dual boot

My machine had a Win98/Win2000 Professional dual boot.
Then I use FDISK to DELETE all partitions and RECREATE partitios (C, D, E),
format the harddisk and installed Win2000 Professional only on C drive.

When I finished the installation and reboot, I still got the options of
Win98, why ? And how do I get rid of this option ?

I will then install WinXP to dual boot very soon.

Thanks in advance.
8 answers Last reply
More about win98 win2000prof dual boot

    You'll need to delete the options you want removed from the boot.ini, it's a
    system, hidden file in the root of the system partition. So you'll need to
    show-all-files, hidden, system in Explorer. You should end up with something
    like this (below). The timeout value is not functional when there is only
    one startup choice.

    The line your going to remove from the boot.ini will be similar to
    C:\="Microsoft Windows"

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
    Professional" /fastdetect

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Alan" wrote:
    | My machine had a Win98/Win2000 Professional dual boot.
    | Then I use FDISK to DELETE all partitions and RECREATE partitios (C, D,
    E),
    | format the harddisk and installed Win2000 Professional only on C drive.
    |
    | When I finished the installation and reboot, I still got the options of
    | Win98, why ? And how do I get rid of this option ?
    |
    | I will then install WinXP to dual boot very soon.
    |
    | Thanks in advance.

    Edit boot.ini in notepad. Be sure the remaining partition/os is set as
    default & remove the other(s).

    Dan

    Alan wrote:

    > My machine had a Win98/Win2000 Professional dual boot.
    > Then I use FDISK to DELETE all partitions and RECREATE partitios (C, D, E),
    > format the harddisk and installed Win2000 Professional only on C drive.
    >
    > When I finished the installation and reboot, I still got the options of
    > Win98, why ? And how do I get rid of this option ?
    >
    > I will then install WinXP to dual boot very soon.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Both responses to this answered the "how" but not the "why" .... and
    I'm really curious about the "why". Is there something left in the
    boot sector/mbr that fdisk doesn't clean up? Would an fdisk/mbr after
    re-partitioning have fixed it?

    Dan wrote:

    > Edit boot.ini in notepad. Be sure the remaining partition/os is set as
    > default & remove the other(s).
    >
    > Dan
    >
    > Alan wrote:
    >
    > > My machine had a Win98/Win2000 Professional dual boot.
    > > Then I use FDISK to DELETE all partitions and RECREATE partitios (C, D, E),
    > > format the harddisk and installed Win2000 Professional only on C drive.
    > >
    > > When I finished the installation and reboot, I still got the options of
    > > Win98, why ? And how do I get rid of this option ?
    > >
    > > I will then install WinXP to dual boot very soon.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.

    If a valid bootsector was found setup saves it before replacing its code
    with W2k version and adds the appropriate record to the boot.ini file. The
    same behavior could be observed during in-place upgrade or reinstall when
    setup adds its own line to the boot.ini with timeout 0.

    Here's a somewhat related question (I think). I have a dual boot, 2 hdd
    system. Recently, I re-formatted one of the 2 drives & reinstalled
    win2k on it. To my surprise, when I 1st ran this new install, some
    items remained, such as the user info under "documents settings" folder
    of the former login name. Other files remained as well. How is this
    possible, if the drive was formatted? Boot.ini does reside on the disk
    in question.

    Dan

    Jetro wrote:
    > If a valid bootsector was found setup saves it before replacing its code
    > with W2k version and adds the appropriate record to the boot.ini file. The
    > same behavior could be observed during in-place upgrade or reinstall when
    > setup adds its own line to the boot.ini with timeout 0.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Jetro wrote:

    > If a valid bootsector was found setup saves it before replacing its code
    > with W2k version and adds the appropriate record to the boot.ini file. The
    > same behavior could be observed during in-place upgrade or reinstall when
    > setup adds its own line to the boot.ini with timeout 0.

    OK, I can see that, but the original poster said that he fdisked to
    completely remove all partitions, then repartitioned and formatted.
    Why would there be a valid bootsector left for a subsequent Win2K
    install to find? That was really the point of my question.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    This can happen if you do: format c: /s

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 10:14:19 +1000, "Alan"
    <NOSPAMalan_pltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

    >My machine had a Win98/Win2000 Professional dual boot.
    >Then I use FDISK to DELETE all partitions and RECREATE partitios (C, D, E),
    >format the harddisk and installed Win2000 Professional only on C drive.
    >
    >When I finished the installation and reboot, I still got the options of
    >Win98, why ? And how do I get rid of this option ?
    >
    >I will then install WinXP to dual boot very soon.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Exactly, he repartitioned a disk using W98 utility 'fdisk', and probably
    formatted it using W98 'format'. If MBR wasn't found, then fdisk created
    one; If there was an old MBR, fdisk didn't re-write it, and if any partition
    was marked as Active fdisk made it as well.

Dual Boot Microsoft Hard Drives Windows